Report: Sony’s Firesprte Dark Horror Game to Be From an Established IP, Potentially Releasing on PC Day One

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Firesprite horror

Report via M1PST

Currently, PlayStation Studios has a large number of unannounced projects in the works, one of them being a single-player narrative horror project developed by the studio Firesprite, which was acquired by Sony in 2021.

Although we know little to nothing about this game officially, over the years rumors and leaks have emerged around this project, such as an internal document that would reveal the game’s codename being “Heartbreak”, and statements from insider Colin Moriarty, who claimed in a podcast that the game could be set on an island and have a female protagonist.

Now we will talk about some discoveries related to the game’s release platforms, the specific genre, and the possibility of resurrection of an old PlayStation franchise.

The first discovery comes from the website of Firesprite’s Game Designer, Emily Stell, who lists the project as “Narrative Horror Title”, with the platforms being PS5 and PC. PlayStation porting their exclusive games to PC has become an increasingly common practice, and it is not strange to think that Firesprite’s next game will not be an exception, but seeing PC already listed as a platform makes us think about the possibility of a simultaneous release on PS5 and PC, something more characteristic of multiplayer games like Concord or Helldivers 2. Whether this is the case or not, it lets us know that a PC release is already planned.

fs1.png.webp

One speculation that has been circulating about this game is the possibility that it’s not a new IP, but an existing one, an idea that has been fueled in the past by reputable insider Jason Schreier, hinting on Reddit that it wouldn’t be new. All of this gains strength thanks to another discovery made in the resume of writer Ren Alex-Rose, who worked for Firesprite from 2022 until April of this year. In her resume she mentions having worked designing characters and plot lines “within pre-established IP”, confirming long-held suspicions.

fs2.png.webp

Now, which horror IP could she be referring to? We can’t answer this question without first linking all of this to one more thing.

This discovery takes us to an unusual place, to the Pinterest profile of the Environment Artist Andréas Houin, who currently works at Firesprite. In his pins section we can see different types of illustrations, ranging from Architecture to Sci-Fi, and the part that concerns us, illustrations of cosmic horror. Could this be the type of horror that the game will use? We can only speculate, as they could be just for drawing references not related to the project.

fs3.jpg.webp

The Revival of a Dormant Saga?​

In more than one place, the project is referred to as a game with a “branching narrative”, which makes us think that the game could be related to Until Dawn, but if we talk about cosmic horror, another PlayStation franchise comes to mind that leans more towards that genre and has not received a new installment for more than 16 years, we are talking about the Siren franchise, created by the now-defunct Japan Studio. This survival horror IP had 3 titles released between 2003 and 2008, but would be set aside after the last title failed to meet expectations. Both the first and second titles make use of fantastic and terrifying creatures in their stories, with the second title making greater emphasis on this aspect and which, curiously, is set on an island.

Forbidden-Siren™.jpg.webp

It will probably still be some time before this game gets officially revealed, but these details help us shorten the wait. When we know more details, we will keep you informed.

Last edited:

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
SIren? Come on, it's another Until Dawn for sure. Still disappointed that they have two studios working on this series. Ballistic Moon on a remake no one asked for and Firesprite on a new game.

excaliburps

Media
13 Jun 2024
Thanks for the link! More support makes our digging around worthwhile.

Got something coming up in the next few days about an unannounced game. :)

• fire
Reactions: John Elden Ring

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Now, which horror IP could she be referring to?
A GaaS Knack 3 that would release day one on PC, for many people here would be the ultimate horror experience.

Now seriously, I think it's Until Dawn 2. Firesprite hired many people from Supermassive, and it would make more sense to explain why they remade and ported to PC the first one and why it's getting a movie adaptation.

I think that like almost all new single player games of Sony IPs will be released on PS5 and around 2+ years later they'll release the pc port, which pretty likely won't be ported by Firesprite, even if the game I think will be made with it in mind.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
A GaaS Knack 3 that would release day one on PC, for many people here would be the ultimate horror experience.

Now seriously, I think it's Until Dawn 2. Firesprite hired many people from Supermassive, and it would make more sense to explain why they remade and ported to PC the first one and why it's getting a movie adaptation.

I think that like almost all new single player games of Sony IPs will be released on PS5 and around 2+ years later they'll release the pc port, which pretty likely won't be ported by Firesprite, even if the game I think will be made with it in mind.
I don't really understand what an Until Dawn 2 is supposed to be....you can't really reuse the same premise and have the same effect....I think the best option would be something like what Supermassive itself has done with the Dark Anthology, but I don't think it makes nuch sense to talk of an IP sequel in that case...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't really understand what an Until Dawn 2 is supposed to be....you can't really reuse the same premise and have the same effect....I think the best option would be something like what Supermassive itself has done with the Dark Anthology, but I don't think it makes nuch sense to talk of an IP sequel in that case...
Well, they can use the same concept of a cinematic horror adventure inspired by slasher movies with many story branches, and to put it in a completely new location -a paradise island would be a great constrast with the snowy 'cabin in the woods' first one-.

Regarding the story, easy: one character survived from the first one and some time later travels to the island with other horny friends, or meets them there (a whole new cast). This or the killer scapes and goes to an island to kill more people.

The story doesn't really matter in this genre of movie/games, a basic one does the job. The horror, tone, jumpscares, tension etc. is more important. I mean, I recently saw a trailer about a zombie kangaroo movie.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
It's definitely releasing on PC day 1, just like Lego Horizon, and people here will say it's not a big deal. (While console sales crater 30% yoy every month)
People said PC & Steam aren’t competitors & it’s only “1 game” it’s not a big deal because it’s a Lego game.

People said a bloodborne remake wouldn’t be day n date w PC lol

There’s no reason firesprite is making a day n date game on PC if it’s singleplayer. It will be worse because it will launch on Steam & not be exclusive to the PS PC launcher at the very least.

If you thought the transition to PS4 & PS5 is bad & slow wait till you see the migration from PS5 to PS6. I genuinely don’t see any reason to migrate to PS6 even if they showed many exclusive knowing it will be ported to PC & future games will be day n date that are singleplayer.

Until dawn remake is day n date on PC. I’d assume Until Dawn 2 would be day n date aswell lol

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Uncharted 1 remake releases on PC day 1 since it’s a remake specifically made for the PC crowd

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
People said PC & Steam aren’t competitors & it’s only “1 game” it’s not a big deal because it’s a Lego game.

People said a bloodborne remake wouldn’t be day n date w PC lol

There’s no reason firesprite is making a day n date game on PC if it’s singleplayer. It will be worse because it will launch on Steam & not be exclusive to the PS PC launcher at the very least.

If you thought the transition to PS4 & PS5 is bad & slow wait till you see the migration from PS5 to PS6. I genuinely don’t see any reason to migrate to PS6 even if they showed many exclusive knowing it will be ported to PC & future games will be day n date that are singleplayer.

Until dawn remake is day n date on PC. I’d assume Until Dawn 2 would be day n date lol
Until Dawn is a game released in 2015.

Until Dawn 2 if ever exists will be PS exclusive for some years.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: AllBizness

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Is it a live service game?

If not there is no day one release.
No the studio got put in the SP category so their live-service endeavours are gone. I do hope UD2 is done by Ballistic Moon instead and Firesprite does a different type of horror game than the interactive movie style.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
It's definitely releasing on PC day 1, just like Lego Horizon, and people here will say it's not a big deal. (While console sales crater 30% yoy every month)
I mean Lego is special circumstances ifs its a sony owned horror franchise I doubt it's releasing day one on pc if its licensed that may be a different story.

24 Jun 2022
Is it a live service game?

If not there is no day one release.

Is LEGO Horizon a live service game?

That is Day 1 on PC (and Switch!).

At this point it's just better to accept (that doesn't mean "personally approve") that SIE will shift along the slippery slope with more and more Day 1 releases that are non-GAAS, non-remakes and non-"small" games. No use really playing the denial game anymore.

Reactions: JAHGamer