Research: Toxic Gamers Are Alienating Your Core Demographic: The Business Case for Community Management

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Also, nice strawman. You also missed the point where I said "and I'm not entirely in favour of this whole many pronouns thing that has happened recently". You're so eager to be offended that you misrepresent what has been said.
You either are or are not. You it seems, are. Also, I am not offended by your different opinion I do not want the gaming industry to have a repeat of people like Anita Sarkesian and Zoe Quinn (spelling?) and for vile scums like them to piggyback on made up "facts" and force devs to hire them as advisors/consultants, so they can "fix problems" and make a lot of money along the way.
Another strawman. Where did I say minorities can't be bullies? Anyone can be a bully. Anyone can be a dickhead. A black guy can be racist, a gay woman can be heterophobic, etc.
Never said you said that, that is a common misconception. Agree on everything you said here.
And I'm sorry but no, demanding someone acknowledge a pronoun is not bullying - you can either be the adult and acknowledge it, the same as you acknowledge someone's name, or you don't. There has to be an understanding from the other side as well that if someone makes a mistake is not because they're being malicious, but because we are not used to use some words in a certain context. I have two they/them colleagues that don't throw a hissy fit if I use the wrong pronoun, they know it's a genuine mistake and, like adults, move on.
No, I do not NEED to bend over backwards, to not offend people with made up pronouns. Your colleagues are reasonable people, but what if they were not? EDIT: It is bullying if it can get you banned or fired from a workplace for example.
Why would I NOT acknowledge someones name? Everything has a name, even objects, it's not the same as demanding to be called by made up words (not they/them but a growing number of made up words). Calling someone simply by their name is a perfectly good solution.
My main issue with this pronoun thing stems from a) people (mostly Americans) taking it to the extreme of literally coming up with shit that makes no sense and b) people (mostly Americans) thinking all languages have non-gendered pronouns. Dumbfucks that speak languages without non-gendered pronouns then demand the whole fucking language to be changed (like Portuguese).
Agree 100%.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You either are or are not. You it seems, are. Also, I am not offended by your different opinion I do not want the gaming industry to have a repeat of people like Anita Sarkesian and Zoe Quinn (spelling?) and for vile scums like them to piggyback on made up "facts" and force devs to hire them as advisors/consultants, so they can "fix problems" and make a lot of money along the way.

Nope, but again, nuance just flows over some people's heads. The world is not black and white.

Never said you said that, that is a common misconception. Agree on everything you said here.

Then why did you bring it?

No, I do not NEED to bend over backwards, to not offend people with made up pronouns. Your colleagues are reasonable people, but what if they were not? Why would I NOT acknowledge someones name? Everything has a name, even objects, it's not the same as demanding to be called by made up words (not they/them but a growing number of made up words). Calling someone simply by their name is a perfectly good solution.

if they are not, they are intolerant, and they should be educated. Also, every word is made up, and language evolves. Finally, pronouns are used to fill in for nouns, therefore your "why would I not acknowledge someone's name" is a poor excuse for not acknowledging a pronoun: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/nouns-pronouns-and-determiners

I'm not necessarily saying they're the same BTW.

And I agree, calling someone by their name is a good solution. See, you found a compromise that allows you to stick to your guns and not be an asshole towards someone. It's imo a good compromise for people to be happy.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Another strawman. Where did I say minorities can't be bullies?
You probably did not say it. But going from experience these policies made to control "toxic" people end up controlled by people who believe that everyone who disagrees with them is sexiss, raciss, and what not... That people from "oppressed groups" (not necessarily oppressed themselves) can't be sexiss, raciss, and what not.
This is why it's impossible to have a discussion on this subject: People cling to the extremes and cannot have a mature discussion over it. Also, nice strawman. You also missed the point where I said "and I'm not entirely in favour of this whole many pronouns thing that has happened recently". You're so eager to be offended that you misrepresent what has been said.
You still leave room for those random pronouns to be acceptable. The rules around them (here in Canada, it's in the law) are that someone can identify as whatever, whenever an infinite amount of times in their life\year\day\hour\minute\second and everyone has to fall in line or they are under treat of being sued for harassment.

Universities will not publish research that does not fall in line with this "logic" (not just the pronouns stuff, all the woke cannon) in any discipline, including STEMs. Otherwise they will loose financing, the researcher(s) are at risk of being bullied out of their field for being raciss, sexiss, and what not.

Which is something you tend to do, you call out strawman on the other side, but you rarely engage with actual arguments... You throw insults, call people intolerant because they don't want to accept the idea that this time censorship will work out for the common good.

Considering that toxic fans are often the ones who are upset at how products turn out, Xbox has the least toxic of all fanbases. They happily accept everything with little backlash.
I guess that's one way to put it.

Unless this is a Sony thing, then the backlash is coming no matter what.

I guess this is the gaming version of: Buy green no matter what.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
You probably did not say it. But going from experience these policies made to control "toxic" people end up controlled by people who believe that everyone who disagrees with them is sexiss, raciss, and what not... That people from "oppressed groups" (not necessarily oppressed themselves) can't be sexiss, raciss, and what not.

So I didn't say it. Thank you.

You still leave room for those random pronouns to be acceptable. The rules around them (here in Canada, it's in the law) are that someone can identify as whatever, whenever an infinite amount of times in their life\year\day\hour\minute\second and everyone has to fall in line or they are under treat of being sued for harassment.

I know instantly you listen to Jordan Peterson (the biggest snowflake of all time) from how you're literally misrepresenting the word of law (and oversimplifying the issue and the law)

Universities will not publish research that does not fall in line with this "logic" (not just the pronouns stuff, all the woke cannon) in any discipline, including STEMs. Otherwise they will loose financing, the researcher(s) are at risk of being bullied out of their field for being raciss, sexiss, and what not.

Very strong accusations. Do you have sources?

Which is something you tend to do, you call out strawman on the other side, but you rarely engage with actual arguments... You throw insults, call people intolerant because they don't want to accept the idea that this time censorship will work out for the common good.

Sure, Jan.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Also, I really don't want to be engaged in this conversation anymore. I won't change anyone's opinion, so it's fruitless to keep on arguing. Let's all be friends (minus flat earthers that make fun of disabled people. Those can have a cactus grow on their ass. Sideways).

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I know instantly you listen to Jordan Peterson (the biggest snowflake of all time) from how you're literally misrepresenting the word of law (and oversimplifying the issue and the law)
Obviously you don't live here, the CBC is the mouthpiece of liberal party. They will not criticize that kind on legislation, nor will they acknowledge the practical problems with it.

People are afraid to state their opinions on these matters in the workplace. Gvt' employees have to go with alien language rules, insulting people in the off chance they are talking to someone who decided they got a strange gender.

Reactions: Vertigo

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Who? The entirety of the diehard Xbox fanbase. They venerate shills more than they care about games.

To have such low self esteem and self respect, to praise Redfall despite know the issues, is quite pathetic. This is one of the biggest shills in the industry.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Leave the shit talking to 3rd party platforms like forums and discord... There should not be harassment on the console/device itself. All people should expect to be able to go onto their console and not be berated or hated on for whatever reason.

If you can't control yourself on official servers.. grow up.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Leave the shit talking to 3rd party platforms like forums and discord... There should not be harassment on the console/device itself. All people should expect to be able to go onto their console and not be berated or hated on for whatever reason.

Always so aggressive @Remij

yelling season 2 GIF by Outlander

• thisistheway
Reactions: Remij

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

I just find it odd how you draw the line for no harassment at the "console it self"

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I just find it odd how you draw the line for no harassment at the "console it self"
Well I don't consider shit talking harassment in general. It could become harassment if the person has no chance to reasonably get away from it. On an official game server, and on the console itself, the expectation should be that anyone can play their game they paid for or use their services without fear of harassment or hate. If I'm playing on unofficial servers... then that expectation might change a bit. Still... that doesn't mean I condone harassment at any time... just simply that if you go into a 3rd party server or service, you may experience it.. and have the option to leave.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Did he praise redfall? What about his assessment of halo infinite?

This is all we need to know.
Not sure about Halo. Halo was praised by everyone, so I wouldn;t be surprised. Biggest Halo shill was Actman, who's also one of the Xbox fanboys. colt played Redfall early, saw the issues, said it's fine, he's excited about the game. They played on PC and it ran like crap. This was shortly before release. When the game came out and issues were apparent, he said he didn't want to say anything because he thought they would be fixed before release.

He's one of the grown ass men that make a X sign with his arms in public, together with Greenberg. That's all you need to know about his ethics/personality.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly