Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I've been looking at the options to upgrade.... just to entertain the thought and NOPE.
I've got me 3700x on it's release together with x570.
And 3080fe on release for 700.... It was 2021 for gpu and CRAZY 2019 for cpu/mobo (say what).
I also have 2x8gb of ram and 2 nvme3.0 drives. All from 2019.
This was all high tech in 2019. Cpu was 350$, mobo was 200$ and so on. pc gaming was expensive but cheaper.

To the point. If I wanted to upgrade my 2021 3080 to something with more vram, The only option is 16gb in 4080. 12gb 4080 would be the same problem soon..... and 16gb 4080 is 1500usd lol. So Your joke is absolutely correct. And that's not even FE varient. They no longer sell founders cards here.

The only thing I could reasonably upgrade is 3700x->5800x (not x3d) and 16-32gb of ram. But none of it would help my pc even 1% probably huh.

I've finished demo on ps5 also. It got too many settings. I am starting to get annoyed by it. How am I supposed top choose performance/quality, both rt on or off and strand hair or on off, without any fps counters and numbers?!!!! I honestly, don't feel that RT does anything either to image or performance. It feels redundant. Both quality and performance are about the same 50-60fps I think too.
Only strand hair visibly tanks the performance and has visible impact.

So yeah, I am leaning towards ps5 but I see some annoyances there too.

edit: even re2remake crashes with RT on this old arse pc 😭
edit[old man yelling] : It's been quite some time that I honestly considered getting a game on pc and was excited to try the demo... only for pc gaming to kick me in the ass with 90 minutes on the demo... without getting past the first house... testing... Sure, I found solution but cmon. I played ps5 demo for 30 minutes. And just finished it in that time
Why can't we just plug ps5s together like lightbulbs, series or parallel,(SLI) I can't remember which is good and which is bad, the last time I was in school Thomas Edison was still alive fs.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Why can't we just plug ps5s together like lightbulbs, series or parallel,(SLI) I can't remember which is good and which is bad, the last time I was in school Thomas Edison was still alive fs.
Serial connection ps5 consoles! Now that's an idea I've not heard since ps3.
I would totally put 5 ps5s together for more power.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Sircaw

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I feel like an idiot spending 90 minutes on the demo, crashing it 15 times in order to find what’s the problem. That’s why.
I shouldn’t have to do any of it with 3080
I don't feel sorry for you. The game literally told your ass that you were 4GB VRAM over the limit.. and yet you wonder why it's crashing...

You can also very clearly see that RT adds an additional 1-2GB of VRAM requirement on the GPU.. I mean right away that should tell you that you should turn down the textures so that the game doesn't overprovision VRAM which you don't have. That's literally what the setting is for. Notice how "High" textures from 1GB - 8GB all look largely similar in the preview picture? That's because it only really changes the amount of memory that it will allocate to stream in textures. If your GPU has a lower VRAM capacity, then you need to set it appropriately so that it doesn't allocate more than that. If it doesn't, then it will use a swap file on your SSD/HDD and since that's far to slow, it will either tank the FPS or crash the game. That's pretty standard stuff.

You also know the console versions don't run at a native 4K right? So native 4K plus maxed out texture allocation is bad news for a GPU with 10GBs.

I understand the sentiment that because you have a 3080, that you should be able to run games "maxed out".. but you've got to understand what is actually happening with those settings.

I think that the developers are also partially at fault however... the game should be intelligent enough that even if a user puts a setting too high, the game will automatically detect that the GPU doesn't have the required memory and will limit it to avoid crashes. The game likely already does that with textures... but it can't do that with RT because RT will require a certain amount of memory fullstop.

Anyway... you're going to bitch either way about both versions. Do whatever makes you happy.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I don't feel sorry for you. The game literally told your ass that you were 4GB VRAM over the limit.. and yet you wonder why it's crashing...

You can also very clearly see that RT adds an additional 1-2GB of VRAM requirement on the GPU.. I mean right away that should tell you that you should turn down the textures so that the game doesn't overprovision VRAM which you don't have. That's literally what the setting is for. Notice how "High" textures from 1GB - 8GB all look largely similar in the preview picture? That's because it only really changes the amount of memory that it will allocate to stream in textures. If your GPU has a lower VRAM capacity, then you need to set it appropriately so that it doesn't allocate more than that. If it doesn't, then it will use a swap file on your SSD/HDD and since that's far to slow, it will either tank the FPS or crash the game. That's pretty standard stuff.

You also know the console versions don't run at a native 4K right? So native 4K plus maxed out texture allocation is bad news for a GPU with 10GBs.

I understand the sentiment that because you have a 3080, that you should be able to run games "maxed out".. but you've got to understand what is actually happening with those settings.

I think that the developers are also partially at fault however... the game should be intelligent enough that even if a user puts a setting too high, the game will automatically detect that the GPU doesn't have the required memory and will limit it to avoid crashes. The game likely already does that with textures... but it can't do that with RT because RT will require a certain amount of memory fullstop.

Anyway... you're going to bitch either way about both versions. Do whatever makes you happy.

And vram managment should be happening without my knowledge. that's the point.
RE games are known for bogus vram calculator in main menu. And no - rt does not use 1-2gb. It barely moves that slider.

I know it's not the newest gpu but crashing is not excusable. Game should know how much vram I have and set this automatically. There should not be an option to set settings that will crash the game.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
RE games are known for bogus vram calculator in main menu. And no - rt does not use 1-2gb. It barely moves that slider.

I know it's not the newest gpu but crashing is not excusable. Game should know how much vram I have and set this automatically. There should not be an option to set settings that will crash the game.
It seems alot of people have ran into this issue and what i can find on it is:

Reactions: AniWeeb and rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It seems alot of people have ran into this issue and what i can find on it is:
Thanks.
One interesting note. RT is for sure tge culprit here. Whle I can lower other settings to stop crashing, the moment I disable RT, even still using 14gb/9gb vram available, the crashig stops.
Way in red, 4k maxed out. But without Rt there are no crashes. Same as R2make

Reactions: TubzGaming

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Thanks.
One interesting note. RT is for sure tge culprit here. Whle I can lower other settings to stop crashing, the moment I disable RT, even still using 14gb/9gb vram available, the crashig stops.
Way in red, 4k maxed out. But without Rt there are no crashes. Same as R2make
Ray tracing is known to consume excessive amounts of VRAM, leading to crashes soon after launch and even at the main menu. This sort of error isn't new to those who played the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes on PC as well. To fix:
  • Head to the options menu, and navigate to the graphics section.
  • Find the Ray Tracing setting and turn it off completely.
You'll notice that the difference in VRAM usage between having it set to Normal and High is minimal. After changing the setting and perhaps restarting the game, you should be able to play the Resident Evil 4 demo without experiencing any crashes.

Reactions: AniWeeb and rofif

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022

Yes, RT does add 1-2GB... look at the allocation size..

As I said though... it's not the texture setting specifically... as you said you were over the limit by 4GB without RT and it wasn't crashing.. so it's something to do with RT in conjunction with higher texture allocation.

I agree that they should just leave the setting as "high" and do all the streaming and provisioning shit automatically based on detected VRAM capacity to ensure that it doesn't crash.. but here we are.

It could also just simply be a RT issue in the engine that is somewhat unrelated.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yes, RT does add 1-2GB... look at the allocation size..

As I said though... it's not the texture setting specifically... as you said you were over the limit by 4GB without RT and it wasn't crashing.. so it's something to do with RT in conjunction with higher texture allocation.

I agree that they should just leave the setting as "high" and do all the streaming and provisioning shit automatically based on detected VRAM capacity to ensure that it doesn't crash.. but here we are.

It could also just simply be a RT issue in the engine that is somewhat unrelated.
It's strange. I have "Dedicated memory usage" enabled in rtss. It's 6gb in main menu alone and instantly 9700mb in the game.
If I run 4k, fully maxed out, it will crash. And if I just lower textures to high 2gb, I am safe and it uses 9500mb. move to high 3gb and crashes. That's with RT high.
The vram reported in main menu and in-game does not correlate

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I played the demo yesterday, and I enjoyed it, so I’ll probably get the full game.

I was very happy to play a version of RE4 that wasn’t total dog shit in the control department. Capcom deserves a slap for the previous remasters being chained to the same insanely shitty controls the GC version used.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm too lazy to make a review thread but the reviews are out and it's 93 on Meta!!!

• Informative
Reactions: TubzGaming