Resident Evil 4 Remake [OT]

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I'm loving it so far and playing it on pc. Just to know how it would be to play on a PS5 if I decided to buy one I'm playing with a controller instead of mouse and keyboard... Damn, I don't know how you guys do it, but aiming can be infuriating sometimes.
Dualsense is the best controller option for the game by far. See if the pc version supports the controller’s features.

Reactions: Summer Nightmares

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
I'm only a few chapters off from finishing.

Going to aim for a Pro run to get the S+... Need to finish the game in 5hrs 30 minutes and in 15 saves or less. Has to be a fresh save too, no special weapons either.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Going to aim for a Pro run to get the S+... Need to finish the game in 5hrs 30 minutes and in 15 saves or less. Has to be a fresh save too, no special weapons either.
Too Fast Speed GIF by Achievement Hunter

P

peter42O

Played 7+ hours today. At the end of Chapter 3. Great game thus far. A few nitpicks though. Wish I could manually turn the flashlight on, not being able to store every item is annoying. Yeah, I get a fish or snake won't stay in a storage chest but it's a freaking game. Let me store it for later. Gameplay and combat though is clunky, stiff, aiming is off and just doesn't feel smooth or responsive like REmake2/3 did when I played them. The knife having a durability bar is annoying and it definitely doesn't have the range or accuracy when swinging the knife like the original did. Still a great game but I don't see this surpassing REmake2 which is my #1 RE game of all time for me. But we'll see. Still a long ways to go.

Side note - bought the Deluxe Edition from GameStop and they didn't get in any copies so I had to get the regular edition and refund the $10 difference. This actually turned out to save me $6 as I bought the Treasure Map Expansion for $4 separately which is the only reason I was buying the deluxe edition to begin with. Regardless of how I feel about REmake4 once completed, I really hope that Capcom remakes Code Veronica next.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Plat reqs:
  • a 100% playthrough for completing all Treasures & Castellans & Merchant Requests -> for all collectible trophies & chapter-specific trophies
  • a playthrough on Standard Difficulty with the final rating of S+ ->
    :silver:
    Mission Accomplished S+ (*does not stack with Hardcore S+)
  • a playthrough on Hardcore Difficulty with final rating of S+ ->
    :gold:
    S+ Rank Investigator
  • a playthrough while using only knives and handguns ->
    Minimalist
  • a playthrough without using any healing items ->
    Frugalist
  • a playthrough wihout talking to the merchant even once ->
    Silent Stranger
  • a playthrough on Professional difficulty on New Game without using any special weapons -> Unlocks “Handcannon” weapon for
    :bronze:
    Gun Fanatic
  • a playthrough on Professional Difficulty with final rating of at least A -> Unlocks “Chicago Sweeper” weapon for
    Gun Fanatic
Can-You-Shoot-Someone-Who-Breaks-Into-Your-House.jpg

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Plat reqs:
  • a 100% playthrough for completing all Treasures & Castellans & Merchant Requests -> for all collectible trophies & chapter-specific trophies
    S+ Rank Investigator
    Minimalist
    Frugalist
    Silent Stranger
  • a playthrough on Professional difficulty on New Game without using any special weapons -> Unlocks “Handcannon” weapon for
    Gun Fanatic
  • a playthrough on Professional Difficulty with final rating of at least A -> Unlocks “Chicago Sweeper” weapon for
    Gun Fanatic
This game will have 0.1% of plat rating.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Plat reqs:
    S+ Rank Investigator
    Minimalist
    Frugalist
    Silent Stranger
    Gun Fanatic
    Gun Fanatic

Already planning to do these.
I've unlocked professional so now I can make a fresh save and go for the handcannon...

S+ time is 5hrs 30 minutes. Without using specials so its going to be a hell of a run.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Already planning to do these.
I've unlocked professional so now I can make a fresh save and go for the handcannon...

S+ time is 5hrs 30 minutes. Without using specials so its going to be a hell of a run.
Pro only requires A rank. Hardcore S+ rank is insane tho.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lord Mittens

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I'm really liking this game over the original. Some of the parts are just far and away better and I love the expanded sections. I'm very close to the end now.. it's been an amazing ride lol.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

Hopefully you've not started it. The longer route is better (Hardcore S+ (chicken hat), then Standard S+(cakewalk)). Pro is all fun and games with the Infinite Rocket Launcher until you try it without the aid on top of a time constraint and save # limit. Krauser is a pain on pro.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Hopefully you've not started it. The longer route is better (Hardcore S+ (chicken hat), then Standard S+(cakewalk)). Pro is all fun and games with the Infinite Rocket Launcher until you try it without the aid on top of a time constraint and save # limit. Krauser is a pain on pro.

I got Pro done on A to get Ashleys knight outfit
Still need the chicken hat so I will do that next. I was just cleaning up some challenges/achievements

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Mini Plat roadmap:

1. Standard run for game enjoyment.
Try to acquire as many collectibles, castellan toys, and get as many Merchant requests done as possible while enjoying the game. Make several manual save points:

Chapter 4 before leaving Lake to rescue Ashley in the church after obtaining key (aka b4 Gigante boss fight).
Chapter 9 b4 Chapter 10
Chapter 13 at Kitchen with Merchant b4 dropping down to Ashley's cell cutscene
Chapter 14 b4 going up the elevator into the "Sanctuary"
Chapter 16 b4 Saddler Boss Fight (you will be revisiting this save file at least once or twice).

Those saves will avoid most of the progress lockouts so you can go back to them to get missing collectibles. Merchant Requests and Castellan Toys carry cross saves and playthroughts unlike Collectible treasures which are divided into Village, Castle, and Island batches. You will want to get all the Merchant Requests and Castellan Toys by revisiting these manual saves along with the treasures anyway, as opposed to combining with other runs.

2. New Game Plus/NG+ Assisted run using only knives and pistols + NO Merchant Talk (NO means absolutely NO).
(Ideally you want to have a fully upgraded Red9 + Fighting Knife (from Krauser fight) with you from the previous standard/collectible run - via storage at the start).
--- If you don't have that, that's why Chapter 16 Manual save B4 Saddler Boss Fight comes in handy - aka sell everything needed to get those things, refinish the game and then start the Assisted Run.

You will be allowed to shoot explosive barrels with the pistol. You will be allowed the Harpoon. You will be allowed to use the Cannon. You will be allowed the Special Red Rocket Launcher that Ada throws at you at Saddler's Boss Fight. Anything else will void the run. using Grenades/flashbangs will void the run, any other weapon besides pistol and knife will void the run. Even throwing chicken eggs.

==========For ALL Timed RANK Runs starting below=========================

You should never hit Continue after a death.
You should never load a save using the death screen prompt option.

Doing any of the above will add TIME to your run counter.

You should quit to main menu, then reload the save as normal. DO NOT LOAD AUTOSAVES either.

Pausing the game stops the time counter. However accessing the briefcase (for crafting or organizing) or talking to the merchant does not.
==============================================================

3. New Game Plus/NG+ Professional A Rank (7:00 hrs maximum) run combined with NO Healing Item Usage Run.
(You want to make sure you're able to buy the Infinite Rocket Launcher at the start of Chapter 1 (after the first house section)).
---- You will need 2 million pesetas to buy the Infinite Rocket Launcher. If you don't have them, again, reload Chapter 16 b4 Saddler Fight Manual Save, sell everything you need to for 2 mill, refinish the game quickly, then start this NG+ PRO A run).

You will also ideally want to have the Fighting Knive for the Krauser fight in Chapter 11 (fully upgraded if possible). It makes the fight with Krauser much, much easier on PRO (does a lot more damage in a fight were finishing it quickly is a premium - specially in a NO Healing Run). For the Krauser fight, you should seek if not perfection, at most 1 damaging blow (whether that is a grab or knife slash).

This run will get you prepared for Hardcore S+. While the Infinite Rocket Launcher makes it easy for mobs, the NO Healing balances it out as you will have to strategize a lot, and reload saves.

Should you decide to give up doing a NO Healing run on Professional NG+ A Rank you can do a quick full NG+ Assisted Run with No Healing as Standalone. However, you will still need the NG+ PRO A Rank run.

4. Hardcore S+(5:30 hrs Maximum) Run on New Game aka from scratch (NOT to be confused with New Game Plus/NG+).

By now you should have the Chicago Sweeper unlocked, Buy it from the Extra's Content Shop and access via Storage.
By now you have Ashley's Armour unlocked. Buy at the Extra Content Shop and equip b4 Starting. Ashley takes no damage, doesn't get picked up by enemies.
By now you should have Gas Mask unlocked. Buy at Extra Content Shop and equip b4 Starting. Aim assist.

You will aim to finish all Merchant Requests in the Village barring the Mutated/Buffed Dog Request (too time and resource consuming) in order to have enough spinels to buy a Merchant Weapons Upgrade Ticket (30 spinels) in the Castle to unlock Infinite Ammo/No reloading for Chicago Sweeper. By the time you enter the Castle proper (just b4 first Garrador fight) you should have, depending on luck around 28/29 or 30 spinels. After the first Garrador Fight you should have exactly, at least 29 or 30 spinels.

Once the Chicago Sweeper is upgraded, breeze through and never press Square EVER while using it! TRUST you don't want to find out what happens.

You should also aim to collect a decent amount of treasures (not all) so you have enough pesetas saved to buy the upgrade along with the ticket (100, 000 pesetas).

For the Castle and Island sections you will also AIM to get an adequate amount of treasure/pesetas to buy the Rocket Launcher for each section respectively.
You want a Rocket Launcher for Salazar's Boss Fight in the Castle and for Saddler's Boss Fight in the Island. Rocket Launcher = insta 1-shot kill/skip. You only get 1 Rocket Launcher per Game Section (Village, Castle, Island).

General Tips but specially for Hardcore S+:

Flash Granades are king (buy the recipe):

Gigantes and Garradors are highly vulnerable and take a ton of damage from Flash Granades when the PLAGA is FULLY EXPOSED (but not before the plaga is fully exposed). Other options of dealing with them include the submachine gun and Magnum fire on the brief moments the PLAGA is EXPOSED - provided you have the sufficient ammo and weapons to make quick work of them.

Double Garrador encounter: Shoot the Bells, throw a grenade at them once they're at the bell, shoot their backs to expose the plagas, throw flash grenades. Repeat as necessary.

Double Gigante encounter: Make sure to STUN the exposed plagas on the Gigantes around the middle of the room where the floor hatch is at. Once stunned in the middle of the room, use the lever in the control console to open the floor hatch. The Gigante will fall to lava and die. Can be done on both Gigantes, including the armored one. The Gigantes don't have to be 100% above the circular hatch, just a section of their body is enough as long as they're stunned. If they're not stunned they will avoid the death trap. Stunning can be done with grenades as well but you have to be very quick and precise.

Annoying villagers with Plaga heads exposed are also easily taken down with Flash grenades. Ideally you want to bunch them up for maximum resource savings. Don't waste bullets on them unnecessarily.

Double Chainsaw ladies encounter is made easier with attachable mines from crossbows. Use the mines when they get bunched with enemies for maximum chaos. Use grenades as well to end the fight quickly.

The annoying Regenerator enemies in Chapter 13/14: Avoid enganging the first two you encounter as you get the keycard and 2nd level access. Only engage them once you get the thermal sight for rifles. Strictly use thermal sight equiped rifles on them otherwise you're wasting precious ammo with other weapons. Exception to that rule of course: Infinite Rocket Launcher or Infinite ammo/reload Chicago Sweeper.

Krauser Chapter 11 Fight/Krauser Knife dancing in general:

Be aggressive. Don't listen to folks out there saying step back and let him come in. If you let him dictate the fight you will mess up on button prompts a lot because the timing can be wildly different for different attacks + the unblockable grabs when expecting something else.

If you're aggressive you'll deal damage more quickly and end the fight faster. As a result you'll lower the number of attack variations that you'll encounter. Being aggressive results in more knife counter-attacks and knife dueling from Krauser as opposed to grabs, kicks, and jumps. It's that simple. This strategy however requires more initial pain as you will have to master the knife dueling rhythm but it's a rhythm you'll be imposing on the fight, and not the other way around. It will become Sekiro like where after some tries you will be the master and come away from Krauser knife encounters with at most taking 2 damaging blows per encounter (usually on a missed counter, missed kick or the stupid grabs). "Hesitation is Defeat". Krauser Knife makes quick work of him.

For Chapter 15 Mutated Krauser last stand fight use the ladders to bait him to jump back and forth between the two levels.

#5: Professional run on New Game (aka from scratch) without using any "Special Weapons". (New Game not to be confused with New Game Plus/NG+)

Special Weapons: Weapons from the Extra Content shop: Primal Knife, Chicago Sweeper and
Handcannon. You also won't have access to the Infinite Rocket Launcher as it's not an NG+ run.

By now you should have the Chicken Hat unlocked. Buy at the Extra Content Shop and equip b4 Starting. Take reduced damage.
By now you have Ashley's Armour unlocked. Buy at the Extra Content Shop and equip b4 Starting. Ashley takes no damage, doesn't get picked up by enemies.

Most of the tips from earlier apply here, except you want to take your time with every encounter and collect as many collectibles as adequate to beef up your arsenal (ideally Red9, Crossbow, Standard Shotgun, Combat Knife, Standard Rifle for majority if not all of the game). Upgrading to a more "efficient/damaging weapon will be a drain on pesetas that should otherwise be spent on healing items. Moreover as in Hardcore S+ you want to SAVE for the 2 Rocket Launchers you will want to have for Salazar and Saddler Fight. Each Rocket Launcher cost 160,000 pesetas on Pro, for a Total of 320,000 pesetas for 2 of them. You also want to play it safe, and backtrack to do manual saves as required before problematic encounters. There is no time penalty or save limitations on this run. You can do continues after death etc.

6. Standard S+(5:00 hrs Maximum) Run on New Game aka from scratch (NOT to be confused with New Game Plus/NG+).

See Hardcore S+ Rank Tips.

By now you should have the Chicken Hat unlocked. Buy at the Extra Content Shop and equip b4 Starting. Take reduced damage.
By now you should have the Chicago Sweeper unlocked, Buy it from the Extra's Content Shop and access via Storage.

30 mins less than Hardcore. Don't sleep on the time or you can get burnt by the end.

Last edited:

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Mini Plat roadmap:

1. Standard run for game enjoyment.
Try to acquire as many collectibles, castellan toys, and get as many Merchant requests done as possible while enjoying the game. Make several manual save points:

Chapter 4 before leaving Lake to rescue Ashley in the church after obtaining key (aka b4 Gigante boss fight).
Chapter 9 b4 Chapter 10
Chapter 13 at Kitchen with Merchant b4 dropping down to Ashley's cell cutscene
Chapter 14 b4 going up the elevator into the "Sanctuary"
Chapter 16 b4 Saddler Boss Fight (you will be revisiting this save file at least once or twice).

Those saves will avoid most of the progress lockouts so you can go back to them to get missing collectibles. Merchant Requests and Castellan Toys carry cross saves and playthroughts unlike Collectible treasures which are divided into Village, Castle, and Island batches. You will want to get all the Merchant Requests and Castellan Toys by revisiting these manual saves along with the treasures anyway, as opposed to combining with other runs.

2. New Game Plus/NG+ Assisted run using only knives and pistols + NO Merchant Talk (NO means absolutely NO).
(Ideally you want to have a fully upgraded Red9 + Fighting Knife (from Krauser fight) with you from the previous standard/collectible run - via storage at the start).
--- If you don't have that, that's why Chapter 16 Manual save B4 Saddler Boss Fight comes in handy - aka sell everything needed to get those things, refinish the game and then start the Assisted Run.

You will be allowed to shoot explosive barrels with the pistol. You will be allowed the Harpoon. You will be allowed to use the Cannon. You will be allowed the Special Red Rocket Launcher that Ada throws at you at Saddler's Boss Fight. Anything else will void the run.

==========For ALL Timed RANK Runs starting below=========================

You should never hit Continue after a death.
You should never load a save using the after death screen prompt option.

Doing any of the above will add TIME to your run counter.

You should quit to main menu, then reload the save as normal. DO NOT LOAD AUTOSAVES either.

Pausing the game stops the time counter. However accessing the briefcase (for crafting or organizing) or the merchant does not.

==============================================================

3. New Game Plus/NG+ Professional A Rank (7:00 hrs maximum) run combined with NO Healing Item Usage Run.
(You want to make sure you're able to buy the Infinite Rocket Launcher at the start of Chapter 1 (after the first house section)).
---- You will need 2 million pesetas to buy the Infinite Rocket Launcher. If you don't have them, again, reload Chapter 16 b4 Saddler Fight Manual Save, sell everything you need to for 2 mill, refinish the game quickly, then start this NG+ PRO A run).

You will also ideally want to have the Fighting Knive for the Krauser fight in Chapter 11 (fully upgraded if possible). It makes the fight with Krauser much, much easier on PRO (does a lot more damage in a fight were finishing it quickly is a premium - specially in a NO Healing Run). For the Krauser fight, you should seek if not perfection, at most 1 damaging blow (whether that is a grab or knife slash).

This run will get you prepared for Hardcore S+. While the Infinite Rocket Launcher makes it easy for mobs, the NO Healing balances it out as you will have to strategize a lot, and reload saves.

Should you decide to give up doing a NO Healing run on Professional NG+ A Rank you can do a quick full NG+ Assisted Run with No Healing as Standalone.

4. Hardcore S+(5:30 hrs Maximum) Run on New Game aka from scratch (NOT to be confused with New Game Plus/NG+).

By now you should have Gas Mask unlocked. Buy at Extra Content Shop and equip b4 Starting. Aim assist.

You will aim to finish all Merchant Requests in the Village barring the Mutated/Buffed Dog Request (too time and resource consuming) in order to have enough spinels to buy a Merchant Weapons Upgrade Ticket (30 spinels) in the Castle to unlock Infinite Ammo/No reloading for Chicago Sweeper. By the time you enter the Castle proper (just b4 first Garrador fight) you should have, depending on luck around 28/29 or 30 spinels. After the first Garrador Fight you should have exactly, at least 29 or 30 spinels.

Once the Chicago Sweeper is upgraded, breeze through and never press Square EVER while using it! TRUST you don't want to find out what happens.

You should also aim to collect a decent amount of treasures (not all) so you have enough pesetas saved to buy the upgrade along with the ticket (100, 000 pesetas).

For the Castle and Island sections you will also AIM to get an adequate amount of treasure/pesetas to buy the Rocket Launcher for each section respectively.
You want a Rocket Launcher for Salazar's Boss Fight in the Castle and for Saddler's Boss Fight in the Island. Rocket Launcher = insta 1-shot kill/skip. You only get 1 Rocket Launcher per Game Section (Village, Castle, Island).

General Tips but specially for Hardcore S+:

Flash Granades are king (buy the recipe):

Gigantes and Garradors are highly vulnerable and take a ton of damage from Flash Granades when the PLAGA is FULLY EXPOSED (but not before the plaga is fully exposed). Other options of dealing with them include the submachine gun and Magnum fire on the brief moments the PLAGA is EXPOSED - provided you have the sufficient ammo and weapons to make quick work of them.

Double Garrador encounter: Shoot the Bells, throw a grenade at them once they're at the bell, shoot their backs to expose the plagas, throw flash grenades. Repeat as necessary.

Double Gigante encounter: Make sure to STUN the exposed plagas on the Gigantes around the middle of the room where the floor hatch is at. Once stunned in the middle of the room, use the lever in the control console to open the floor hatch. The Gigante will fall to lava and die. Can be done on both Gigantes, including the armored one. The Gigantes don't have to be 100% above the circular hatch, just a section of their body is enough as long as they're stunned. If they're not stunned they will avoid the death trap. Stunning can be done with grenades as well but you have to be very quick and precise.

Annoying villagers with Plaga heads exposed are also easily taken down with Flash grenades. Ideally you want to bunch them up for maximum resource savings. Don't waste bullets on them unnecessarily.

Double Chainsaw ladies encounter is made easier with attachable mines from crossbows. Use the mines when they get bunched with enemies for maximum chaos. Use grenades as well to end the fight quickly.

The annoying Regenerator enemies in Chapter 13/14: Avoid enganging the first two you encounter as you get the keycard and 2nd level access. Only engage them once you get the thermal sight for rifles. Strictly use thermal sight equiped rifles on them otherwise you're wasting precious ammo with other weapons. Exception to that rule of course: Infinite Rocket Launcher or Infinite ammo/reload Chicago Sweeper.

Krauser Chapter 11 Fight/Krauser Knife dancing in general:

Be aggressive. Don't listen to folks out there saying step back and let him come in. If you let him dictate the fight you will mess up on button prompts a lot because the timing can be wildly different for different attacks + the unblockable grabs when expecting something else.

If you're aggressive you'll deal damage more quickly and end the fight faster. As a result you'll lower the number of attack variations that you'll encounter. Being aggressive results in more knife counter-attacks and knife dueling from Krauser as opposed to grabs, kicks, and jumps. It's that simple. This strategy however requires more initial pain as you will have to master the knife dueling rhythm but it's a rhythm you'll be imposing on the fight, and not the other way around. It will become Sekiro like where after some tries you will be the master and come away from Krauser knife encounters with at most taking 2 damaging blows per encounter (usually on a missed counter, missed kick or the stupid grabs). "Hesitation is Defeat".

#5: Professional run on New Game (aka from scratch) without using any "Special Weapons". (New Game not to be confused with New Game Plus/NG+)

Special Weapons: Weapons from the Extra Content shop: Primal Knife, Chicago Sweeper and
Handcannon. You also won't have access to the Infinite Rocket Launcher as it's not an NG+ run.

Most of the tips from earlier apply here, except you want to take your time with every encounter and collect as many collectibles as adequate to beef up your arsenal (ideally Red9, Crossbow, Standard Shotgun, Combat Knife, Standard Rifle for majority if not all of the game). Upgrading to a more "efficient/damaging weapon will be a drain on pesetas that should otherwise be spent on healing items. Moreover as in Hardcore S+ you want to SAVE for the 2 Rocket Launchers you will want to have for Salazar and Saddler Fight. Each Rocket Launcher cost 160,000 pesetas on Pro, for a Total of 320,000 pesetas for 2 of them. You also want to play it safe, and backtrack to do manual saves as required before problematic encounters. There is no time penalty or save limitations on this run. You can do continues after death etc.

6. Standard S+(5:00 hrs Maximum) Run on New Game aka from scratch (NOT to be confused with New Game Plus/NG+).

See Hardcore S+ Rank Tips.

30 mins less than Hardcore. Don't sleep on the time or you can get burnt by the end.

Absolute legend. Great stuff.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Just finished the game, loved almost every second of it.
Most hated part: stronghold on island by far.
The island section of the game is incredibly revamped though, much better than the original.
By the time I god to saddler’s fight, I was swimming in money, bought a rocket launcher and nuked him because why not?

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Wanted to go for platinum later on, but looking at this, NOPE. Thats ridicilous. 8 playthroughs.

Better to spend time on other things.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Wanted to go for platinum later on, but looking at this, NOPE. Thats ridicilous. 8 playthroughs.

Better to spend time on other things.
At the very least you can skip that new game professional run for the hand cannon (required for all weapons trophy). You just need to get S rank on all 3 mercenaries map, with any character.

You only need 200 000 points for it and each map has a chicken you can kill for an instant 50 000.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I am at the island. Excellent remake. The island chapter and laboratory is vastly improved. The remake is better than the original.