Rise of Ronin (Team Ninja) Announced for PlayStation 5

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I wasn't impressed by this trailer. The lighting/shading didn't look real for me. I was expecting a more advanced rendering engine since it's PS5 exclusive. The skin on the characters don't look like good skin shading (Spiderman's cutscenes are the de facto standard in advanced skin shading). The blood didn't look good to me either. Artwork is excellent though.
I don't think they are going for photo realistic look.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wait, Team Ninja? I was under the impression MS owned them for years by now, unless I'm mistaken?
Team Ninja is a Japanese team. They did Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Nioh or this one.

MS bought other studio: the French studio Ninja Theory (Hellblade, Heavenly Sword, emo DmC, support in Disney Infinity).

Reactions: EDMIX

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Wait, Team Ninja? I was under the impression MS owned them for years by now, unless I'm mistaken?

Thats Ninja Theory. A great team.

They are probably one of the best purchases MS has done if not there best studio in my eyes. Funny enough they made a PS exclusive in Heavely Sword. Which I think was the starter for games like Uncharted to be more Cinematic. Andy Serkis did a good job.

They also did a great job with Enslaved, DMC. Hellblade was decent too.

Reactions: ksdixon
24 Jun 2022
I wasn't impressed by this trailer. The lighting/shading didn't look real for me. I was expecting a more advanced rendering engine since it's PS5 exclusive. The skin on the characters don't look like good skin shading (Spiderman's cutscenes are the de facto standard in advanced skin shading). The blood didn't look good to me either. Artwork is excellent though.

The blood being a bright hue of red (if that's what it was about the blood that threw you off) is probably a stylistic choice if anything.

Thing about most Japanese AAA games, at least IMO, is that they probably lose out to Western AAA games at the technical level when it comes to certain types of graphics techniques. But more often than not, they make up for it with strong artstyles and in some cases, quite superior artistic aesthetics.

Maybe not a genre people think of a lot when bringing this up but, historically GT vs Forza has exemplified that for me since the PS2 & OG Xbox days (and for the most part, seems like GT7 and Forza reboot will continue that i.e Forza being the more impressive at technical level but GT7 having better artistic aesthetic in terms of color palette, color grading etc.).

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Its still 2 years out so maybe it will improve. Games like the Souls games or Nioh arent normally graphical power houses like Ninja Gaiden etc. I can’t remember Nioh looking amazing, I might be wrong

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ninja Theory is MSFT's one.

Team ninja are totally different, other side of the world. Team Ninja is wayyyy better IMO.

I really liked Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. Plus DMC combat was great, the art direction and level design not so much

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I really liked Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. Plus DMC combat was great, the art direction and level design not so much

I never felt inclined to play any of their games and I thought the director / owner guy seemed like a complete fool whenever I heard him talk.

But I do imagine there are some good aspects of their games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: SSfox and Kokoloko
P

peter42O

I enjoyed Hellblade but I loved Enslaved. Never played Heavenly Sword or their version of DMC.

• party
Reactions: Kokoloko

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Nice. Anyone know how this game is likely to differ from Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty?

I'm not sure what justifies this being a PS5 exclusive.
Nothing there looks like it's out of reach for the PS4, even if shadows, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, etc. had to be dialed back slightly.

It seems like the only reason it's not a cross-gen game is because we'll be 4 years into the generation when it comes out, though that means there's a lot of time to improve and polish the visuals, too, I guess. We're still in the cross-gen window right now, and games like Sonic Frontiers are almost triple-gen supporting and scaling to the Switch through to the PS5.

Reactions: Bryank75

EDMIX

Nothing there looks like it's out of reach for the PS4, even if shadows, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, etc. had to be dialed back slightly.

It seems like the only reason it's not a cross-gen game is because we'll be 4 years into the generation when it comes out, though that means there's a lot of time to improve and polish the visuals, too, I guess. We're still in the cross-gen window right now, and games like Sonic Frontiers are almost triple-gen supporting and scaling to the Switch through to the PS5.

It was a PS4 game as they stated they've been working on it for 7 years.

I think its a PS5 only titles for a few reasons, 1. Sony publishing clearly, but likely because its coming out in 2024, they already know they won't have the same number of active PS4's and making it next gen only made more sense.

So next gen only, but started last gen. So I think you are right, its merely next gen based on timing. Keep in mind we don't now the other features they added or how the world works as for all we know it uses more then enough from PS5 that by the time they are done with it, it could never work on PS4, like if they had you able to enter every home or something weird like that (not saying thats what its going to be though)

So its hard to say this early.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I have a different view.
There is not reason even for games that started development last gen to release in last Gen consoles.

Sony needs to release PS5 games and forget PS4…. It is a new generation after all.

Last edited: