ROG Ally X - 2TB model will cost $900. Release Date December 9th

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I see the PS5 Pro price apologists are in full force with the false equivalences again.

Expecting an outrage over the price.

If Asus had the expectation of selling 2 million of these, and then they were getting a 30% cut out of every game sold on the platform, the markup would be outrageous in the current climate.

Instead, Asus can't subsidize this because they're getting zero out of game sales, and they're probably planning to sell like 300k of these, so the economy of scale is completely different from products that sell more than a million.

Reactions: Zzero
11 Jul 2024
I see the PS5 Pro price apologists are in full force with the false equivalences again.

If Asus had the expectation of selling 2 million of these, and then they were getting a 30% cut out of every game sold on the platform, the markup would be outrageous in the current climate.

Instead, Asus can't subsidize this because they're getting zero out of game sales, and they're probably planning to sell like 300k of these, so the economy of scale is completely different from products that sell more than a million.
PS5 Pro is still expensive, but it is not meant to replace the PS5. It also costs more to make than a ROG. No1 is forced to buy either of those (but you are forced to buy a PC tho, cause PCMR said so)

Reactions: voke and The Icon

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

But then again it comes down to an individual's perceived value of the product, I think 1k$ on a handheld that can barely last 3 hrs is dumb, someone else may think a 700$ pro is dumb. But pocket watching someone else is imbecilic behavior- let the market decide the value of the product.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and arvfab

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Funny to see the pricing of High-End handhelds.
Nintendo fanboys: "Switch 2 will be on par with PS4 Pro and play 4K games with DSSL. Switch 2 will be 400 bucks. 🤓"

Ofc Nintendo will magically make the expensive components cheaper. 💀
Nintendo fans are so delusional.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: The Icon

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Funny to see the pricing of High-End handhelds.
Nintendo fanboys: "Switch 2 will be on par with PS4 Pro and play 4K games with DSSL. Switch 2 will be 400 bucks. 🤓"

Ofc Nintendo will magically make the expensive components cheaper. 💀
Nintendo fans are so delusional.
I think you are making a mistake here due the difference in the markets.

Console and portable markets have hardware subsidized.
PC market not... hardware manufactures needs to sell with profit.

That is easy to understand... Sony and Nintendo sells software (games) for their platform so they can have little to no profit... even small loses with the sells of their hardware because with 1-2 games sold or a subscription sold already pays the lose in the hardware.
PC manufactures doesn't sell software... so if they don't have profit on hardware there is anything to backup it.

Console and portable always sells at lower price than the costs of the hardware at launch.
After sometime (months or years) they start to have profit on hardware too but at launch it is more loses covered by the software profit.

Nintendo can indeed do a $400 portable that with a similar PC hardware sold at $600-800 (remember this is the selling price to the consumer and it is already has the manufacturer profit margins that should be way over 25% based in the low amount of sales... 25% profit margins are in products that have mass production selling millions to the masses... you win with quantity).

Same for Sony with PS5 Pro.

There is no "making components cheaper" but "I can sell it at loss".
After all a game sold or a PS+ / Nintendo paid online already pays the loss at launch.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It also costs more to make than a ROG.
Quote needed.

LPDDR5X costs more per-GB than GDDR6 (which is down to a historical low of $2.3 per GB on spot price) and there's 24GB of LPDDR5X on the Ally X vs. 16GB GDDR6 on the PS5 Pro. Storage cost should be about the same as the Ally X also has 2TB PCIe Gen4.
The SoC on the PS5 Pro is probably some 2x more expensive than the Ally's as they're built on the same process, but that price difference might be offset by the RAM and embedded peripherals.

Both have controllers, but the Ally X has a 120Hz 7" screen with capacitive touch panel, plus a humongous 80W.h battery. I'm not sure Asus needs to pay for the Win11 license either.

but you are forced to buy a PC tho, cause PCMR said so
I am as forced to buy a PC as I was to buy a PS5, a PS4 Pro, a PS4, a PS Vita, a PSP Go, a PSP, a PS2, a Wii, a Gamecube, a DS, a DSi, a Gameboy Advance, a NES and a Dreamcast plus hundreds of games for these consoles.

Games are games. Only complete idiots do platform warring. You're knocking on the wrong door, here.

Makes PS5 Pro look like a deal.
They're completely different products.
You can't take the PS5 Pro on a plane, bus or train while you have unstable or inexistant internet. You can't buy cheap PC games for the PS5 Pro either, nor play any of the hundreds of games on your Steam backlog, or all the games you got from Epic and Amazon Prime for free.
And you don't need to pay anything to play your games online.

It's a different product with a different value proposition. And with a 4 TFLOPs RDNA3 iGPU you'd be surprised with the sheer amount of detail and framerates you can cram into that 7" screen. And with the 80W.h battery with reduced settings on less intensive games you can easily reach 4 to 5 hours of playtime.

Regardless, with the Z2 Extreme / Strix Point solutions coming up within the next couple of months, I don't think buying a ROG Ally X right now would be such a great decision.

Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And with the 80W.h battery with reduced settings on less intensive games you can easily reach 4 to 5 hours of playtime.
More like 2-3 hours max of playtime.
With heavy AAA games then it is lower than 2 hours.

In fact due more storage inside it should use a bit more battery than ROG Ally X 1TB... the difference should be minimal but it does exists.