Rumor: Sony leadership feels that Bungie is a failed investment (take with 🧂🧂)

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Them emphasizing how big of a failed investment it is for them internally, would make Sony mad as well.

Their Biggest acquisition then adding the 1.2 billion to keep the talent there, only to dissapoint in both Advising in GaaS games while also missing financial targets consistently according to this email, must make them very upset.
Yuh I’m starting to think Jim Ryan was actually fired for green lighting buying Bungie Sony biggest investment imploding in itself. Even thoe Jim Ryan performance made Sony the most he’s also made some fuck ups making a 4 billion investment & it shortly imploding & porting PS games potentially putting PS at harm against PC & Nintendo would be a reason to boot em.

I also think Jim Ryan is tired working at Sony for 30 years & no longer wanting to take a trip across Japan, US & EU & dealing w consolidation & making all these back & forth strategic business acquisitions

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Maybe they shouldn't have gone all in on this GaaS crap. Who knew that wouldn't be a good thing. You know, besides almost everyone.

Good news is, Sony realizes this is a management issue and consiser actual devs to be good. Fire the executive bloat.

One conerning thing. "They have not been able to successfully advise Sony teams." So we lost Factions over Bungie's incompetence. Good job.
they probably lost some big billion dollars with this live service strategy, just the amount of cancelled games, The Last Of Us Factions 5 years in development, probably costed 200M+ to make + the Bungie acquisitions for almost 4 billion dollars, it's insane, the results? we have no first party singleplayer games in 2024, pathetic

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Sony needs to be cutthroat

Sony spend 4 billion on Bungie & allow them to remain multiplat just for Bungie to implode on itself & make Sony look like they wasted 4 billions dollar on 1 mid studio. Sony needs to fully take over Bungie & make future live service games exclusive to PS, PC & Mobile. If Bungie not gonna bring in $ what’s even the point of having them multiplat at the very least the can gain consumers from Xbox & Nintendo who like Bungie games & make them buy a PS console for Destiny, Marathon & future Bungie games. If I was the PS ceo I would cancel Xbox version of Marathon & Destiny 3/Destiny reboot & ensure those games are straight fire w a massive ad campaign & promoting both franchise to have HBO MAX & Netflix tv shows alongside.

Also they should’ve bought Square Enix for 5 billion instead to bolster PS ability to compete w Nintendo in Japan atleast increasing PS competitiveness. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest (ofc you would need to acquire the DQ ip) & Neir exclusive to PS all 3 franchise born or heavily associated w PS legacy would be massive. Not to mention the other smaller titles like LiveALive, Octopath, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Star Ocean etc. Gaining ip that can help expand to Asia markets & ip that can be translated to mobile games (I’m surprised Square Enix has created a gatcha console/mobile game like genshin impact w the same art style for the Final Fantasy & Dragon Quest ip those seems like no brainer ideas)
For Real. Square Enix was the obvious one if they were gonna invest that kind of money anyway. Alot of pillar IPs, back catalogue for Premium, help in Japan Market and overall, they release games every year of quality which would have helped now that their American Studios cant get 1 game out this gen(exclude insomniac). Although the other half of me doesnt want them under American leadership and more Forspoken characters are made

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Maybe they shouldn't have gone all in on this GaaS crap. Who knew that wouldn't be a good thing. You know, besides almost everyone.

Good news is, Sony realizes this is a management issue and consiser actual devs to be good. Fire the executive bloat.

One conerning thing. "They have not been able to successfully advise Sony teams." So we lost Factions over Bungie's incompetence. Good job.
Live service is important for the future of gaming. Most young gamers are spending most of its time playing live service games. Take 2 found mobile to be important enough to buy Zynga for 15 billion when Take 2 was worth 12 billion.

Whether we like live service or not it’s important for PS to have a strong position in live service or they’ll go day n date to bring in short term profits (but who knows PS might do PC day n date since they seemly dumb enough to buy Bungie for 4 billion & port exclusive singleplayer games to PC harming there storefront, console & killing there competitiveness against PC & Nintendo)

Last edited:

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Yuh I’m starting to think Jim Ryan was actually fired for green lighting buying Bungie Sony biggest investment imploding in itself. Even thoe Jim Ryan performance made Sony the most he’s also made some fuck ups making a 4 billion investment & it shortly imploding & porting PS games potentially putting PS at harm against PC & Nintendo would be a reason to boot em.

I also think Jim Ryan is tired working at Sony for 30 years & no longer wanting to take a trip across Japan, US & EU & dealing w consolidation & making all these back & forth strategic business acquisitions
To be clear, Jim also inherited many of Shawn Layden’s initiatives, the blockbuster games and big 3rd party exclusives which were what setup PS4 rise. We have just been seeing most of Jim’s implementations now which have been abysmal

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Reset shut this down for whatever reason. Regurgitated info sure but nothing would have changed in these last few months either.

Disagree that bungie doesn’t care lol. There are indicators they’re actually doubling down on it.

Their service model needs the change that’s coming. It sorta needs to come out of service as it is now tbh. In addition to having all previous content revamped and bundled instead all a la carte where simply pre ordering final shape in some form should catch you up on all content.

There should also be no ps plus paywalls etc… a player will download the f2p version and have no content or multiplayer…. Like how does that work in their favor?

You also have Blackburn being replaced a director after 3-4 years. The executive blame for lightfall is off base. Blackburn owns that.

There’s a byf video detailing how this entire year has been filler narratively if interested. As an entire expansion and year of content was added to lead into and prepare for this final expansion.

As a fan… unfortunately this is the cycle. Historically at this point is where bungie actually knocks shit out of the park. Dunno if they can pull that kind of stuff off forever but that’s the trend they need to break.
Era didn’t trust the source.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
It was a bad investment anyway. Close them up and focus on great games from all their great studios instead.

• thinking_hard

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
For Real. Square Enix was the obvious one if they were gonna invest that kind of money anyway. Alot of pillar IPs, back catalogue for Premium, help in Japan Market and overall, they release games every year of quality which would have helped now that their American Studios cant get 1 game out this gen. Although the other half of me doesnt want them under American leadership and more Forspoken characters are made
Sony messed up when they’ve stop buying studios who worked w PS & instead bought a bunch of no names w no ip no game output just a bunch of talent names.

Acquisition Sony should’ve made in 2020 when MS bought Zenimax & ABK

• Square Enix (japan/legacy w PS)
• Arc system work (fighting/evo)
• Kadokawa/Fromsoft (legacy w PS)
• Hoyoverse (asia/mobile)
• Shift up (asia/mobile)
• LVL5 (japan)
• Kena studio

There’s probably more I’m missing but all of these are no brainer full acquisition or investment. Sony should look to licensing ip to 3rd party to make spin off Ratch & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper & Ape Escape are franchise that could explore new creative spin off in the size of AA. Bring back creative weird PS

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Bungie has been failing their sales targets for the whole 2 years since they got acquired by Sony.

How could Sony's leadership not believe it to be a failed investment?

On top of that, most of the GaaS projects are being cancelled left and right because they finally understood the chances of pulling an Apex Legends or Fortnite are so slim that on average they would just going to be burning money. So Bungie lost like half their purpose here.

Also, turns out taking away content people had already paid for isn't something very popular (wow much strategy) and gamers tend to vote with their wallets.

I for one don't get how people don't get tired of playing the same game over and over for a decade. I played a lot of Destiny 2 with friends back in 2018 and at some point I was just done with the game, no matter how many expansions they threw at it. But that's just me, I guess.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Johnic

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Question, why all of this coming up after Great Playstation news?

like, we started with Takeshi, now, this..
I 100 percent believe this though. Sony has owned them for 2 years and all they’ve made was some dlc. They over paid for them and they’ve been a black hole for 2 years. I bet Sony japan wanted to go after SE but the western side wanted to be on GAAS at the time.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

I hope Bungie gets gutted and rinsed, for the absolute bullshit they pulled on TLOU Online. Set to be too much Active Player Numbers competition for Marathon, was it?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
it really is, Square Enix would be WAY better and offer us, PlayStation console users more benefits, like, imagine SE using the Decima engine to create a FF17?

After this investment do you honestly believe Sony will spend this amount of money on another publisher.

No chance.

Once bitten twice shy.

• they're_right_you_know

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
After this investment do you honestly believe Sony will spend this amount of money on another publisher.

No chance.

Once bitten twice shy.
i'm not saying they will, i'm saying it would be better, back in 2022, to have acquired Square Enix instead of Bungie, or even Capcom, Capcom at the time was like 4B dollars or something

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
i'm not saying they will, i'm saying it would be better, back in 2022, to have acquired Square Enix instead of Bungie, or even Capcom, Capcom at the time was like 4B dollars or something

I agree.

Too late now unfortunately.

PlayStation top brass wasted their money on Bungie. No way Sony give them more.

Capcom was always out of the equation. Saudi Savvy group has made investments in them.