Rumor: Sony leadership feels that Bungie is a failed investment (take with 🧂🧂)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Ironically Bungie’s media campaign for Into the Light and Final Shape to resurrect the game before expansion kicks off today for like the next 3 weeks.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
To be fair, no one expected Bungie to be a bad purchase when they made it.
idk if you're being ironic, but I definitely have been calling it an awful acquisition since day 1

👇 From July last year, before we knew Bungie was responsible for cancelling Factions 2 and before they missed their revenue targets.
I knew Destiny 2 was a good chunk, just wasn't sure how much. Still the worst acquisition in history, Sony got fleeced. Maybe they bought them just to help cover up the pitiful PC numbers? 😂

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Th
Bungie is one of the few studios that knows how to support a live service game. But I always felt like the games that they make isn't a good fit for Sony's first party library.
That's the main reason they bought them they were going to use them as a reference to try and better understand how to make things work in the live service field but it all went downhill and they've had a reality check of its not consistent to make a profit with it and hold on to it. As for people saying they should be sold I highly doubt Microsoft will buy them from Sony.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I was expecting Destiny 3 and Marathon to be PS exclusives, that would have been crazy smart moves, idk what happend.
that's what happened
Freezing Jim Carrey GIF

• haha

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Could be true but anybody could write that after reading the reports about the Bungie layoffs 🤷

One thing is certain, journalists suddenly started to turn on Bungie and trash Destiny as soon as Sony acquired them. They report relentlessly every little negative info they can find. Same as Square. They both have huge targets on their backs. I wonder why...😒

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You know that a rumor about Bungie is fake when they talk about "Sony may takeover Bungie" acting as if Sony wouldn't have bought the 100% of the company.

Or if they say that a company that invested billions doesn't triple check that everything is fine in the company they acquire before acquiring it and after buying them get suprised that they are a mess considers the investment a failure 1 or 2 years after completing the acquisition, as if the investments weren't always thought for the long term, and before they released any game.

Also, when they said that failed to support Sony's GaaS when the first one they released after having them supportting is a massive success. And when they ignore or don't know that Totoki said that the around a hundred firings were mostly already decided by Bungie when they made the acquisition as part of related redundancies (people from the acquired company they no longer would need because the company who acquires them already has people doing these jobs).

Suddenly the bots love Icon, after trashing it
Normal, they have the same made up and wrong anti-Sony narratives than several supposed PS fans of this forum.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
they probably lost some big billion dollars with this live service strategy, just the amount of cancelled games, The Last Of Us Factions 5 years in development, probably costed 200M+ to make + the Bungie acquisitions for almost 4 billion dollars, it's insane, the results? we have no first party singleplayer games in 2024, pathetic
Let's act as if you can't play single player in Sony 2024 games like The Last of Us 2 Remastered, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, MLB, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Until Dawn Remake, and pretty likely Lost Soul Aside and maybe Convallaria and who knows if more unannounced stuff because of potatoes.

Sony messed up when they’ve stop buying studios who worked w PS & instead bought a bunch of no names w no ip no game output just a bunch of talent names.

Acquisition Sony should’ve made in 2020 when MS bought Zenimax & ABK

• Square Enix (japan/legacy w PS)
• Arc system work (fighting/evo)
• Kadokawa/Fromsoft (legacy w PS)
• Hoyoverse (asia/mobile)
• Shift up (asia/mobile)
• LVL5 (japan)
• Kena studio

There’s probably more I’m missing but all of these are no brainer full acquisition or investment. Sony should look to licensing ip to 3rd party to make spin off Ratch & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper & Ape Escape are franchise that could explore new creative spin off in the size of AA. Bring back creative weird PS
The people running these "no names" they acquired like Haven, Firewalk and Bungie broke gaming history records of best selling new IPs unlike those you list there.

On top of that, Sony had a close relationship with Bungie (back then with the Firewalk guys) since the creation of Destiny 1 and played a key role there. Sony got the marketing deal for the series because for them was a big win to have the next IP from the Halo guys also in PS. Same with Ubisoft/Haven: they had a close relationship since the PS1, as Ubisoft did with all the platform holders.

Nah for real, Sony would see crazy profits if Marathon and Destiny 3 were PS Exclusives. Bungie still have the best FPS devs on the market (but they clearly are terrible at GaaS management)
They will have more revenue and profits selling them in more platforms. This is the reason of why the bought and kept them as multiplatform. Because in the near future certain budgets won't be able to be profitable being released in a single console unless they are super top hits.

Regarding GaaS management, MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 are big successes and to kill games that seem that won't work is a good practice made not only in GaaS, but in general. It's good management, not bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
I noticed a pattern in the last 2 years
When we get a sells reports that shows nobody gives a fuck about the Xbox brand then suddenly we get an unconfirmed negative news about the Playstation
Yesterday we got the European market sells for February 2024 and the ps5 destroyed series x
The next day we get this random news about Bungie
Tomorrow the npd results for February will be out
And im 100% sure we will get a fake negative article about ps5 in the next day
The funny thing this type of tactics didn't help Ms since 2020 instead the gap is getting bigger and bigger between ps5 and series x

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well they havent released a game yet to determine anything. Marathon will be big I think, Bungie doesnt miss much.
I think it was a good purchase but time will tell. They have money to spend and its better than buying no1 for sure.

Always thought they bought Bungie to stop MS acquiring them, which is always good too.

I liked the purchase, although I would of preferred FromSoft. I would of gone with a more expensive purchase in Square, CDPR or Sega but at least they bought Bungie.

I dont trust the new management yet, they probably would of prefered to buy no1 and save there money, Sony and Nintendo seem like penny pinchers. Spend that money you cheap asses

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well they havent released a game yet to determine anything. Marathon will be big I think, Bungie doesnt miss much.
I think it was a good purchase but time will tell. They have money to spend and its better than buying no1 for sure.

Always thought they bought Bungie to stop MS acquiring them, which is always good too.

I liked the purchase, although I would of preferred FromSoft. I would of gone with a more expensive purchase in Square, CDPR or Sega but at least they bought Bungie.
Look forward to seeing Marathon.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
I don't play Destiny 2, but this seems waaaay too soon to be true. The Sony and PlayStation's executive leadership teams are too experienced to think that such an investment would have resulted in anything meaningful within a year and a half. This is likely BS.

However, I'm sure Sony and PlayStation's leadership aren't happy with the timeline for their game release + the sudden drop in revenue. I think Bungie needs to grow to deliver more expansions.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I noticed a pattern in the last 2 years
When we get a sells reports that shows nobody gives a fuck about the Xbox brand then suddenly we get an unconfirmed negative news about the Playstation
Yesterday we got the European market sells for February 2024 and the ps5 destroyed series x
The next day we get this random news about Bungie
Tomorrow the npd results for February will be out
And im 100% sure we will get a fake negative article about ps5 in the next day
The funny thing this type of tactics didn't help Ms since 2020 instead the gap is getting bigger and bigger between ps5 and series x

Yes, it just seems like more FUD after MS has had such a bad start to the year. While Helldivers and FF7 were greatly received by fans, its just more FUD to try and even it out. They just change the way they do it

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I'm very skeptical about this rumor for several reasons: Sony bought Bungie thinking about their GAAS expertise, future games and the ability to transform Destiny into other media. Destiny 2's revenue performance hardly matters. And to make matters worse, Sony's first GAAS, Helldivers 2, is a success, so it's strange that they think that