[RUMOUR] Codenamed Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm reading stuff like this will actually be a DualSense controller, focused on streaming via WiFi in the house, not unlike the Wii U. Pretty niche if you ask me, but it might be for some people.
Sony has patents that fit that description. Its funny seeing people cry about a 'portable' which would sell infinitely more units than a PSVR2.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah, it makes some sense, I guess. Remote play out of the range of the console and WiFi within the range of it.
The overreaction is so weird either way.
A few people randomly want a PS4 portable as of a couple of days ago and think Playstation will die if they don't do it, lmao.

• haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
You guys are nuts!

A PS4 Portable would be dead on arrival? ... what?

I smoke so much weed my 2nd name is chimney, but by God if you actually believe that... Can I have some of your weed? It's clearly better than mine.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
You guys are nuts!

I smoke so much weed my 2nd name is chimney, but by God if you actually believe that... Can I have some of your weed? It's clearly better than mine.
I wouldn't call it DOA, but the people going from not even thinking about a Sony handheld to saying that they're screwed without one after hearing a single rumor are ridiculous.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You guys are nuts!

PS4 Portable is stupid what makes sense is whatever nonsensical overpriced remoteplay solution Sony will come up with because Sony doesn't make mistakes.

• haha
Reactions: ksdixon

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You guys are nuts!

This forum is weirdly anti portable. A portable that looks like a new PSP and that could play all of your PS4 library would sell gangbusters.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
This forum is weirdly anti portable. A portable that looks like a new PSP and that could play all of your PS4 library would sell gangbusters.
Nope. People don’t want their development efforts to be divided. A portable would require Sony to invest money in making exclusives for that portable like they did in the past. This is not profitable and in a a market dominated by the Switch makes no sense. Steam deck barely sells as it is.
A portable to play aging ps4 software also makes no sense at all if you don’t release new games to that hardware. What, y’all want Sony to remain a cross-gen company that release software to 2013 hardware to support some outdated portable undermining and holding ps5 back in the process? Y’all want ps5 series s?
Also, not wanting to divide development efforts between console and portable is the main reason why Nintendo created a hybrid console.
So, it’s not that anyone is against it, it just that it doesn’t make any business sense.
A remote/Wii u game pad like device makes more sense simply because it doesn’t require more development costs that what already exists.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Nope. People don’t want their development efforts to be divided. A portable would require Sony to invest money in making exclusives for that portable like they did in the past. This is not profitable and in a a market dominated by the Switch makes no sense. Steam deck barely sells as it is.
A portable to play aging ps4 software also makes no sense at all if you don’t release new games to that hardware. What, y’all want Sony to remain a cross-gen company that release software to 2013 hardware to support some outdated portable undermining and holding ps5 back in the process? Y’all want ps5 series s?
Also, not wanting to divide development efforts between console and portable is the main reason why Nintendo created a hybrid console.
So, it’s not that anyone is against it, it just that it doesn’t make any business sense.
A remote/Wii u game pad like device makes more sense simply because it doesn’t require more development costs that what already exists.
yup and nintendo didn't even do a "hybrid" really

they just abandoned the home console and went all in on handheld

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
People need to stop saying Vita failed, and a new portable wouldnt work. The Vita was hardware wise unfit for purpose (no L2, R2, LS, RS buttons). That kneecapped the thing straight away, because even if you plunked down the money for a huge proprietary storage and worked-around other kneecaps and adjusted for other shortcomings like the sim data carrier choice, you didn't have all the needed buttons to remote play/play digital "home console games". At least not without cursing out that stupid back touchpad. We've never seen what a button rich/kneecap lacking portable handheld could be from Sony. That VitaTV, PSVue TV service, and the recent button-less Xperia Phone Steaming Fan were complete braindead moves.

People need to stop complaining about splitting the game libraries. No one is out here asking for a PSP/Vita sequel with its own library. Switch proved that the era for that is gone now. It's about extending the access too your own games, gamesaves, party chat integration, working around life's issues to leverage the portability to our advantage when not able to be on big TV etc.

We want, for lack of a better phrasing, a Portable PS4. That solves just about any issue thrown at the Vita, most of the way. A PS4 Portable SKU would have: local storage priced normally to dl games onto. It would have all the needed buttons. PS1, 2, 3, 4 games on PS+ streaming/downloading, Remote Play into PS5. It still needs all those things to not become a brick when out of the house/if WiFi/data goes down. Otherwise it's not fit for purpose, and would be less than we can achieve currently on a smartphone's Remote Play app. We'd end up weighing pockets-down with phone/phone shell or phone, controller and attachment clip, and that's a lot to carry round if data/WiFi isn't gonna play nicely.

PS4 is still getting games, recent GOW and HFW. If some Jap devs aren't great with PS5 coding tricks, it gives them a PS4 level home console and portable console to release onto. Sony themselves aren't losing people, especially the Jap market in question, to Nintendo's Switch, or the Western market to Steam Deck. Deck has no games to call it's own AFAIK, but it has the portability factor and emulation/BC. And plenty of people like playing their old games on the go, even Sony devs love their Decks, but Sony don't have BC on lock properly yet. Switch has the current games and the portability, but not the power or 3rd party. XB has BC... and if it throws GP everywhere it'll have the portability aspect down pat too.

Sony need to get their BC for PS3 in order. They need to get a PS4 Portable out there. Vita cannot remote play a PS5 and is lacking buttons, it's functionally obsolete. You're not telling me that when PS+ streaming contains a cut-down version of PS3's OS (I believe this is essentially Wii U's "Wii Mode"?), and the advancement of 10 years tech since launch Vita, that a PS4 Portable is un-doable. I simply won't believe it.

Sony got the games, the 3rd party relationships, the powerful hardware comparing to competitors... It just doesn't have the bloody PS4P. This "Remote Play Q Controller" is another half-gimped not fit for purpose/kneecapped from its full potential... AGAIN!

Does that just about cover it?

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Source on the pricing?
It ain't going to be $99 so it is going to be overpriced. The Backbone is already $99.

yup and nintendo didn't even do a "hybrid" really

they just abandoned the home console and went all in on handheld
The obvious answer to that is the PS4 Portable since the next Nintendo console is likely going to be underpowered as well. Sony deserve to see another Nintendo console dominating if they are too scared to release a portable of their own.

PlayStation Portable, the answer is in the name. Since a PS5 portable won't be an option any time soon a PS4 Portable is the way to go.

Jim Ryan is a moron if he doesn't see it.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Splitting the library like PSVR2 is currently doing? The same device which is currently flopping but not getting half as much pushback as a rumored portable is getting? Utter bullshit.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Tie a data plan to ps plus, problem solved. People wanting a Vita 2 are fooling themselves.

No platform is gonna split development between a home console and a handheld. You’re either one or the other, nintendo is a handheld, and playstation is a home console.

Playstation being able to do remote play or switch having and HDMI port doesn’t change its basic nature

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Splitting the library like PSVR2 is currently doing? The same device which is currently flopping but not getting half as much pushback as a rumored portable is getting? Utter bullshit.
PSVR are still home console games.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
How is the effort going to be divided if it plays PS4 games? PS4 games are already made or being made.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How is the effort going to be divided if it plays PS4 games? PS4 games are already made or being made.
I like the idea of having a PS4 portable, but I think that publishers are moving to next gen only and in a couple years there won't be crosgen games anymore because they will rely on high end tech that won't be able to run on previous gen consoles.

I mean, look at the recent Cyberpunk update and imagine future AAA games using only that RT based lighting.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I like the idea of having a PS4 portable, but I think that publishers are moving to next gen only and in a couple years there won't be crosgen games anymore because they will rely on high end tech that won't be able to run on previous gen consoles.

I mean, look at the recent Cyberpunk update and imagine future AAA games using only that RT based lighting.
What does Cyberpunk with RT tech that even a RTX 4090 can't run well has to do with a portable device that runs PS4 games?

A PS4P would likely sell more than either the Series S, can Sony afford to just ignore an additional market like that just because it won't sell 80m? Giving up completely on the portable market is obviously the wrong call, remoteplay/streaming only device is going to bomb harder than the VitaTV.

Great hardware solutions is what I expect of Sony and they failed miserably to provide that on the portable front ever since they got burned with the Vita. I hope this Q-lite is nothing like the rumors suggest.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Yeah, future AAA games will be Cyberpunk just like last gen was all GTA Vs. We'll have to see how widespread"ray trace everything" becomes, my suspicion is it will be less common than people think.