[RUMOUR] Codenamed Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Its just an accessory, seems like a cool option. Maybe I'll buy Square Enixs smaller games on PS instead of Switch now bc I wanna retire that machine after TOTK.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
A good middle ground would've been a portable PS4.
I don’t think people would play ps4 games. This portable is aimed to be a companion for a ps5. It’s pretty clear Sony don’t want to divide their game developing efforts anymore, neither do Nintendo. But it’s not possible to make a tablet with ps5 capabilities, so this is what they could do.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don’t think people would play ps4 games. This portable is aimed to be a companion for a ps5. It’s pretty clear Sony don’t want to divide their game developing efforts anymore, neither do Nintendo. But it’s not possible to make a tablet with ps5 capabilities, so this is what they could do.
Sorry... What? I can't follow that post fully as I'm stoned atm.

You can't drag PS5 down for years with PC/PS4 also-runs, then release a gimped streaming-only PS handheld device which isn't powerful/modern enough to be a proper PS5 companion device... and then also then remove the PS4 playing capability from it?

I feel like I've missed the correct intent you mean?

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I think a wiiu style controller would be a nice option, been saying this myself for eons.

Criteria is: cheap, full Dualsense function, a seamless and fast connection - the wifi6 chip on the ps5 should allow this.

Oled screen please tho, not lcd.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don’t think people would play ps4 games.
Yea why would people play games like Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, CoD Modern Warfare II, etc, in 2023?

As of right now there are hardly any games that are not crossgen and it will take many years for the PS4 library to look dated.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Sorry... What? I can't follow that post fully as I'm stoned atm.

You can't drag PS5 down for years with PC/PS4 also-runs, then release a gimped streaming-only PS handheld device which isn't powerful/modern enough to be a proper PS5 companion device... and then also then remove the PS4 playing capability from it?

I feel like I've missed the correct intent you mean?
Who told you the handheld won’t stream ps4 games?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Yea why would people play games like Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, etc, in 2023?

As of right now there are hardly any games that are not crossgen and it will take many years for the PS4 library to look dated.
People are buying the ps5 versions of those games, not the ps4 ones. Moot point.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
People are buying the ps5 versions of those games, not the ps4 ones. Moot point.
Sure because for a portable device anything other than PS5 games is worthless... you guys won't ever admit when Sony is making a mistake.

A remote play only portable is a far worse piece of hardware than a Series S.

D

Deleted member 223

Good idea. Maybe when they properly announce it I'll explain why. Just a rumor for now.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sounds like what the Vita shouldve been to the ps3/4 but maybe the technology wasnt there then. Hopefully sony incorporates the next monster hunter in the marketing and nintendo doesnt snatch it away this time like with the vita. Its a good idea in theory, we just have to see the details. If it works (crux of the whole thing isnt it?) and sony markets it properly...it could possibly put the switch 2 on notice?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Who told you the handheld won’t stream ps4 games?
I thought that's what you were saying in your opinion, and you later in the thread said people are buying the ps5 versions of those games, not the ps4 ones. I think you were actually saying you think people wouldn't play PS4 games on this?

I regularly do the crossbuy PS5/PS4 games, or dl both from PS+, and juggle harddrive space depending on what I want. In some outlandish cases on some games I shave 20GB-a third of the game install size off, by going with one version over the other. There's reason's people would still go PS4 game on this thing. Maybe the PS4 version of a game is x amount cheaper, or it's the only version on sale today, ya know?

Downloading a game is still important to me, because if a game/device is streaming only it's at the mercy of connectivity quality and/or availability. It becomes less use than a phone without WiFi/data on, because at least the phone can still do other phone shit. It can't just be remote play and PS+ streaming only.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It'll be a niche accessory, and Sony has no problem with that. It's in line with DualSense Edge and even PSVR2 to a lesser extent.

People bring up the Steam Deck, but that's also a niche product. It's something like 1% of sold Switches?

If they make a DualSense with a 1080p screen, that streams games from PS5 and from PS+ Premium, then that's a fine enough product and there's an audience for that. Sony have the numbers for how many people stream and use remote play, so they know what the target demographic is.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sounds like what the Vita shouldve been to the ps3/4 but maybe the technology wasnt there then. Hopefully sony incorporates the next monster hunter in the marketing and nintendo doesnt snatch it away this time like with the vita. Its a good idea in theory, we just have to see the details. If it works (crux of the whole thing isnt it?) and sony markets it properly...it could possibly put the switch 2 on notice?
Vita had remote play with the PS3/PS4, played PSP/P1 games negatively on top of native Vita games and even had an OLED screen. What does this new device has over the Vita?

It'll be a niche accessory, and Sony has no problem with that. It's in line with DualSense Edge and even PSVR2 to a lesser extent.

People bring up the Steam Deck, but that's also a niche product. It's something like 1% of sold Switches?

If they make a DualSense with a 1080p screen, that streams games from PS5 and from PS+ Premium, then that's a fine enough product and there's an audience for that. Sony have the numbers for how many people stream and use remote play, so they know what the target demographic is.
The dirence is that the Steam Deck is an actual great product, not some gimped Logitec G Cloud clone.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Focus first on providing more first party game on ps5 and psvr2 man

Handheld you already lost to nintendo its a dead giveaway

Im not sure a 2nd atempt will work here

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 – A feature the console giant has been pushing these past couple of weeks.
Wait. Now I'll use the Remote Play around the house in a comfier form factor than carting around phone/pad/clip or laptop/pad... But the way that's worded, surely this motherfucker Wil still do cloud streaming of PS+ games, right? I ask because running Remote Play over the internet is so much worse than running Remote Play from just upstairs on the same WiFi etc.

We got another gimped "streaming fan" product that's not up to snuff in our midst here?

D

Deleted member 417

Looks like Sony just made a worse version of the Logitech G Cloud. What an embarrassing moment for PlayStation, completely outclassed by Valve and out of touch with their player base.

Lazy.

Going on a trip and want to play using your portable device? You are out of luck. Want to play it on a plane? Not happening. On the hotel? Better bring your PS5. Do you want to play outside? Then you better have state of the art wifi.
There's a lot of misinformation floating around at the moment, I suspect.

With how the media and shills attack Sony, would it surprise anyone to find out MS were shilling to make it sound bad before the official release was known?

• fire
Reactions: Gamernyc78