Sea of Thieves Beta Now Live.It is currently experiencing high volume of new players, which may result in longer waiting times than normal.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Now that there are some Ubi financial posts, are there anything for other companies? CapCom, SEGA, Square, MS? Those are in many ways doing day 1 Steam releases, so they are quite more interesting to read than Ubisoft.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Now that there are some Ubi financial posts, are there anything for other companies? CapCom, SEGA, Square, MS? Those are in many ways doing day 1 Steam releases, so they are quite more interesting to read than Ubisoft.
Capcom talked about Monster Hunter World in the past when asked about PC sales…

Without getting into details, it’s the second biggest one for Monster Hunter World amongst all platforms, therefore incredibly important

That means PS4 > PC > Others

• fire
Reactions: Cool hand luke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Based on what I've read, MHWorld sold best on PC everywhere except Japan.
I could not find any reference or hint to PC being the best seller platform… plus PS4 sold best in US and Japan… EU was close with PC ahead and Asia is where PC had a good lead.

Overall the latest leak had PS4 around 3 million ahead (near 5 million ahead including Iceborn).

Iceborn.

Just remember the last official data from Capcom is 25 million with Iceborn… PS4 alone with this last leak already have ~13.3m that is over half of total sales.

Like Capcom said PC is their second best platform. I’m really not sure where you hear that except Japan PC sold better everywhere…

Actually PC really only sold that better in Asia.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Okay, show me show me some numbers from different games, indies, aa, aaa, any games.

Im asking because a pub or dev showing platform split is extremely rare, the few I remember, like CDPR, actually shows that due to the phrase "PC got legs", Witcher 3 ended up selling better on PC in the long run and CP2077 sold better on PC from launch.

Other than that, we know that some bigger indie titles like Terraria and Stardew Valley sold best on PC.

So saying that most games or "all games" like Luke here is stating sells better on Playstation or PC for that matter is difficulty to fact check because devs and pub don't show platform split.
Devs do show the platform split, but rarely per title. See enpleinjour's post here for the 5 major pubs and the split between PC and console.

Here are the actual per title splits from the UK and France - note PC barely registers. It's only the outliers like "Helldivers first month" and diablo 4 that PC beats out PlayStation in:

Uk

France

The Witcher 3 btw likely made the most revenue on PlayStation given how long it took for PC to generate the lion's share of unit sales.

PC being on the bottom rung is just a fact people need to accept when it comes to multiplatform game splits.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
So there is really not much to go on, the state of PC in 2019-2020 is very different from today. Massively different. Steam numbers increased rapidly following covid in 21.

And btw, Diablo 3 sat a new record for the fastest selling PC game when it released, so it's not like they put Diablo 3 on consoles because they were scared it was gonna flop in sales.

UK is indeed quite a Playstation land despite PC increasing somewhat, sadly lots of digital only games like BG3 didn't release UK PC sales numbers.

However, I still would like numbers instead of just "NPD and UK shows Playstation sells better than PC".
Also Steam does not represent the PC market, and PC has in fact shrunk from 2022-2023 while consoles have consistently grown since 2017. We've already covered it in a separate thread, but the state of PC is total subservience and reliance on consoles. PC in China and SK make up about half the PC market and their consumption habits are too diff to matter for most pubs.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Also Steam does not represent the PC market, and PC has in fact shrunk from 2022-2023 while consoles have consistently grown since 2017. We've already covered it in a separate thread, but the state of PC is total subservience and reliance on consoles. PC in China and SK make up about half the PC market and their consumption habits are too diff to matter for most pubs.

Steam and PC gaming is growing regardless of your hatred for PC gaming.

If it didn't, MS and Sony would not be putting their games on PC.

And a ton of games from both indies and aa devs are releasing first on PC and sometimes never releasing on consoles. Lethal Company was one of last years best selling games and there is no sign of any console version. Among Us was enormously popular on PC and released later on consoles.

So many games explodes in popularity on PC/Steam and later get's console version (usually console time exclusivity) because of the console popularity.

According to Cuphead dev, Steam has not only just been a net positive for PC gaming, but also for the industryu as a whole. Shuhei Yoshida has mentioned many times on his Twitter how he uses Steam to find indie games he wants on Playstation.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Steam and PC gaming is growing regardless of your hatred for PC gaming.

If it didn't, MS and Sony would not be putting their games on PC.

And a ton of games from both indies and aa devs are releasing first on PC and sometimes never releasing on consoles. Lethal Company was one of last years best selling games and there is no sign of any console version. Among Us was enormously popular on PC and released later on consoles.

So many games explodes in popularity on PC/Steam and later get's console version (usually console time exclusivity) because of the console popularity.

According to Cuphead dev, Steam has not only just been a net positive for PC gaming, but also for the industryu as a whole. Shuhei Yoshida has mentioned many times on his Twitter how he uses Steam to find indie games he wants on Playstation.
Show me evidence that refutes the fact that PC shrunk from 2022-2023.

Literally none of what you've said suggests PC is growing, only that there's a market for games on there. Most games of note will always get console versions, storied PC developers have had to expand to console to stay relevant, while console devs like Sony treat PC as an afterthought. Sloppy thirds, anyone?

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Show me evidence that refutes the fact that PC shrunk from 2022-2023.

Literally none of what you've said suggests PC is growing, only that there's a market for games on there. Most games of note will always get console versions, storied PC developers have had to expand to console to stay relevant, while console devs like Sony treat PC as an afterthought. Sloppy thirds, anyone?

And why should I trust Newzoo or Nib for that matter? The replies to that Twitter makes Newzoo very unreliable.

Nice graphs and numbers that fits your view doesn't make the stats true.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
And why should I trust Newzoo or Nib for that matter? The replies to that Twitter makes Newzoo very unreliable.

Nice graphs and numbers that fits your view doesn't make the stats true.
Nah you're right you should trust your fee fees.

The same replies to that Twitter point out that T2, ABK, Microsoft, and Nvidia use Newzoo. They're the best we have. Note the debunked visual capitalist crayon graphic below, which is the source of many misconceptions around the size of the PC market (in reality, waaaaay smaller than consoles).

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Based on what I've read, MHWorld sold best on PC everywhere except Japan.
This is so ridiculous. World was a late port on PC, 8 months later after it sold millions and millions on PS4. You keep making shit up in every thread. Yakuza is bigger on PC, Persona is bigger on PC, Street Fighter is bigger on PC, Monster Hunter is bigger on PC. You have zero data to prove any of it while we have graphs directly from publishers showing PS is their biggest platform. Your fairytale world doesn't exist.

Stop posting and delete your account xbot.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
This is so ridiculous. World was a late port on PC, 8 months later after it sold millions and millions on PS4. You keep making shit up in every thread. Yakuza is bigger on PC, Persona is bigger on PC, Street Fighter is bigger on PC, Monster Hunter is bigger on PC. You have zero data to prove any of it while we have graphs directly from publishers showing PS is their biggest platform. Your fairytale world doesn't exist.

Yeah He's ai xbot fan pretending to be pc fan
Sometimes they pretend to be Nintendo fans or sega fans
They have 2 much free time 😂😂😂

klomzi

8 Mar 2024

Show me the data in.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
A MS account is required to play this game on PS5. I'm not much for multi-player anyway, but the need to create a separate account is enough for me to lose interest. EA pulled this back in the PS3 days and it was one of the reasons I stopped buying any games from them.

From the developer standpoint and the fun players will have, I wish the game success but it's not for me.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The account allows for a shared save across anywhere you play and Sea of Thieves offers that. They could streamline (somehow) it further but it’s commonplace at this point and often a win for online driven games.

EA has botched it plenty. They cycle out your account after inactivity and it can screw you out of online access for future games. I actually mentioned how difficult this is to solve here:

The water effects is definitely something I want to experience myself but the game itself still doesn’t seem to really lend itself to solo queue and knowing my own tastes and habits… i know it won’t jive with me sadly.

BUT…very much looking forward to the graphics comparisons.

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The account allows for a shared save across anywhere you play and Sea of Thieves offers that. They could streamline (somehow) it further but it’s commonplace at this point and often a win for online driven games.

EA has botched it plenty. They cycle out your account after inactivity and it can screw you out of online access for future games. I actually mentioned how difficult this is to solve here:

The water effects is definitely something I want to experience myself but the game itself still doesn’t seem to really lend itself to solo queue and knowing my own tastes and habits… i know it won’t jive with me sadly.

BUT…very much looking forward to the graphics comparisons.

My perception with EA back in the day was that they wanted to inflate their numbers for Origin accounts. The issue is that they made it mandatory and introduced extra steps for me to play a game I purchased. I'm aware of the benefits in SoT's case, but for people who solely play on PS and have no intent to play elsewhere - it's the same issue. It's mandatory and introduces extra steps to simply play a purchased game. Everyone gets to make their own choices in this matter. For me, though, this is a reason not to purchase a game at all.