Sea of Thieves is the currently the best selling Preordered game on PSN U.S. & also possibly in many European countries where Preorders look strong.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sea of Thieves has over 35m players between Xbox and PC. Game is huge and very casual which is what the vast majority of gamers on consoles are. Just because the minority (aka people here) aren't interested in Microsoft's first party games on PlayStation 5 doesn't mean that applies to everyone who owns a PlayStation 5 because in reality it doesn't.
Mate, they have a peak of 66k players on steam and can't get over 10k concurrent. There's no 35M players, you have to be on drugs to believe that.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Mate, they have a peak of 66k players on steam and can't get over 10k concurrent. There's no 35M players, you have to be on drugs to believe that.

I never said that they have 35m players actively playing the game. When any game announces the amount of players, it's life time players who played the game. It could be for 5 minutes or it could be for 500 hours. Doesn't mean that they keep playing every day.

For PlayStation, the player count will represent actual sales and I stand by my 10m life time prediction.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I never said that they have 35m players actively playing the game. When any game announces the amount of players, it's life time players who played the game. It could be for 5 minutes or it could be for 500 hours. Doesn't mean that they keep playing every day.

For PlayStation, the player count will represent actual sales and I stand by my 10m life time prediction.
They'd have to sell 10m copies, or close to it when accounting for multiple accounts on one copy. Are you assuming it's going to be given away for free at some point? That's the only way it sniffed double digits on Xbox and PC.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
It's like fortnite meets minecraft even has fortnite style seasons. Gameplay loop is sail to island hack your way through a minecraft dungeon get loot back to ship. Set sail for island shop to spend loot get ganked by another players ship who is 20 levels above you lose loot.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
They'd have to sell 10m copies, or close to it when accounting for multiple accounts on one copy. Are you assuming it's going to be given away for free at some point? That's the only way it sniffed double digits on Xbox and PC.

I know that they would have to sell 10m copies on PlayStation 5 and life time, I believe that it will. There's no other pirate type games out there and the one that was supposed to be the better game (Skull & Bones) is total shit plus it's a co-op/multi-player game which is said to be a shit ton of fun and blast to play so I definitely see a lot of casual players which is basically the majority of PlayStation 5 owners eating up this game. It has six years worth of content to play through. As long as their servers are strong, I honestly don't see how this ends up not selling 10m copies. And it's only $40 for the standard edition.

As for Xbox, my bet is that it sold a good amount because like with most live service games, better off owning it than paying for the subscription unless of course, you're already subscribed to Game Pass and plan on staying subscribed. I do however believe that it sold much better on PC, mainly Steam because Steam is simply the store front you go to if you're a PC gamer and a lot of people hate the Windows Store.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

They never had 35M cumulative players. Xbox announces numbers that include everything under the sun, including people that installed the game and didn't play it, and people that installed the game multiple times. This is easily verifiable by the trophy stats for their games, and just by looking at random accounts that have the game and never played or played a minute or two.

An online game with real 35M players lifetime, released in the past few years, would not have those paltry concurrent numbers on steam, no chance.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Some day I hope we get transparency on how these numbers are calculated
It's more than likely installs, and I'd doubt it's unique installs (meaning if a player installed 10 times, only 1 counts).

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023

The way people online and content creators reference these numbers as “Game X now has Y number of players” is very tiring, really makes me believe most people have very poor reading skills.

You said “has”, that’s what has means. If what you meant is have played then say that.

Also Sea of Thieves success seems to me to be very highly overstated by MS considering how it ranks in Xbox most played and on Steam.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
I know that they would have to sell 10m copies on PlayStation 5 and life time, I believe that it will. There's no other pirate type games out there and the one that was supposed to be the better game (Skull & Bones) is total shit plus it's a co-op/multi-player game which is said to be a shit ton of fun and blast to play so I definitely see a lot of casual players which is basically the majority of PlayStation 5 owners eating up this game. It has six years worth of content to play through. As long as their servers are strong, I honestly don't see how this ends up not selling 10m copies. And it's only $40 for the standard edition.

As for Xbox, my bet is that it sold a good amount because like with most live service games, better off owning it than paying for the subscription unless of course, you're already subscribed to Game Pass and plan on staying subscribed. I do however believe that it sold much better on PC, mainly Steam because Steam is simply the store front you go to if you're a PC gamer and a lot of people hate the Windows Store.

🔔 Thread-critical objective available 🔔

🔽🔼🔽🔼🔽🔼

⚠ Hellbomb arrmed - clear the area ⚠

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
35 million player accounts since inception means whoever played the game with a game account thru gamepass or purchase (and maybe even free trial demo periods). For instance publicly tracked Destiny 2 accounts (users who make their account info public) is upwards of 66 million. Active playerbase is probably 4-6 to million unique accounts a week/month (it’s probably fallen a bit now)

Sea of thieves is similar to fallout 76…. They survived when Division 2, anthem etc could not. Kinda successful all things considered.

You would be looking to determine some kind of Active User metric to determine its hardcore player base. Quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily etc.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Without numbers, this is meaningless.

The most pre-ordered game changes almost daily.

It no longer is SoT, it's MLB The Show. If it's not that, it's Dragon's Dogma 2.

Even Battlefront 2 classic collection is higher on the charts.

Rise of the Ronin, as we get closer to release, will surpass it.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Imagine the money RARE would make porting RARE replay to PS5 and including Goldeneye 007 for digital buyers
eh, this might be a hot take but i find Goldeneye 007 to be quite bad, i really do think people just have massive nostalgia for it. I only really played it this year through the switch online thingy.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
eh, this might be a hot take but i find Goldeneye 007 to be quite bad, i really do think people just have massive nostalgia for it. I only really played it this year through the switch online thingy.
It definitely has not aged as well as other late 90s games and to be quite honest I actually never beat the story mode. It gets really hard around the pyramid level, I cant remember off hand which level was the last one I was able to beat. However the multiplayer mode was just fun. I still think its a great game but I definitely see why some would have issue with it since I myself never was able to complete the story mode

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It definitely has not aged as well as other late 90s games and to be quite honest I actually never beat the story mode. It gets really hard around the pyramid level, I cant remember off hand which level was the last one I was able to beat. However the multiplayer mode was just fun. I still think its a great game but I definitely see why some would have issue with it since I myself never was able to complete the story mode
Yeah it was innovative fir it's time but nowadays nah I don't enjoy it.

Reactions: panda-zebra