Senior sales executive of tech explains why Sony will take 20% from Xbox's Blade game. Also skirts & poorly explains a pyramid scheme. (Hypothetical)

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024

An opener for an interesting discussion. As the title says, the person in the tweet is sharing with us mortal plebs his secret for big business success. Saying stuff like triangles and carrots, but that is not important.
What is important is the assumption that Sony will take 20% for Blade being on Playstation. Now, i think common sense, and the leaked COD documents showing ABK was going to give xbox only 20%, says no one will take anything from xbox as low as 30%.
So i wonder what people think Sony would gladly take for a Redfall reskin with a Marvel character?

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Do he means MS games sold on PS Store?

Because to put a game in PS you pay around 5% in royalties and you don’t need permission to do that… any publisher can put games on PS.

Now if you want to negotiate the 30% cut from PS Store you need to get in talk with Sony.

Reactions: Batzy

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
He says no physical copy.

Then no sales then. Physical sells a lot on PlayStation platforms.

OP
OP
Batzy

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
He says no physical copy.

Then no sales then. Physical sells a lot on PlayStation platforms.
Pretty sure Sony has an obligation if a game is over 50 buck it has to have a physical version. Maybe he expects Xbox games to be 20 bucks.

• Informative
Reactions: On Demand

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
30% for everyone (or at least the same rules for all publishers). The fact that Sony was treating CoD differently was shameful and other big publishers should have turned on Sony and demanded the same treatment. Epic and MS will inevitably take Sony to court just like what happened with smartphones and Sony is going to look terrible because of this sort of stuff.

Sony got exactly what they deserved from their dealings with Activision/CoD.

Pretty sure Sony has an obligation if a game is over 50 buck it has to have a physical version. Maybe he expects Xbox games to be 20 bucks.
Can't be true as Alan Wake 2 and BG3 didn't have physical versions.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
30% for everyone (or at least the same rules for all publishers). The fact that Sony was treating CoD differently was shameful and other big publishers should have turned on Sony and demanded the same treatment. Epic and MS will inevitably take Sony to court just like what happened with smartphones and Sony is going to look terrible because of this sort of stuff.

Sony got exactly what they deserved from their dealings with Activision/CoD.
Wtf are you talking about? Did someone hack into your account? Lol

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Wtf are you talking about? Did someone hack into your account? Lol
What is the problem? PlayStation shouldn't be picking winners when it comes to publishers that release their games on PlayStation and they certainly should not favor MS.

OP
OP
Batzy

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
What is the problem? PlayStation shouldn't be picking winners when it comes to publishers that release their games on PlayStation and they certainly should not favor MS.
I think you need to explain, or provide context to what you mean.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think you need to explain, or provide context to what you mean.
It's all there on my post, it's not my problem if people can't follow up something that simple or are unaware of what happened to Google or how the likes MS and Epic games behave.

If MS really goes all in into becoming a third party publisher Sony should expect what would come next (them trying to open shop inside PlayStation). Xbox always has some sort of scummy long term plan, it just hasn't ever worked but that doesn't mean they'll stop trying.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and Batzy

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

Oh they do? Didn’t know that.

There are games that are digital only and high price though. So I don’t know.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t think that exists anymore with PS5.

There are several cases of $70 releasing without physical editions… to quote two recently: Alan Wake and Baldur’s Gate 3.

Larian choose to release a physical version of BD3 due fan request.
Alan Wake will never have a physical edition I believe.

OP
OP
Batzy

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Publishers pay 30% of the games' price to sell games on the PS store. Activision paid less, as part of their marketing contract with Sony.

Also, expect that to change. What's MS gonna do, not sell on PS?
Huh, i though cod was 30% on PS and xbox was getting the 20%, which is why they bought ABK. But yeah, no way Sony takes less then 30% or maybe even ask for more.
I don’t think that exists anymore with PS5.

There are several cases of $70 releasing without physical editions… to quote two recently: Alan Wake and Baldur’s Gate 3.

Larian choose to release a physical version of BD3 due fan request.
Alan Wake will never have a physical edition I believe.
As i said before. limited Run could make it or release later, like a GOTY edition. And much like Alan Wake 1, it will be de listed digitally cause of the licensed music in the game so they will make a PS5 version at some point.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Huh, i though cod was 30% on PS and xbox was getting the 20%, which is why they bought ABK. But yeah, no way Sony takes less then 30% or maybe even ask for more.

As i said before. limited Run could make it or release later, like a GOTY edition. And much like Alan Wake 1, it will be de listed digitally cause of the licensed music in the game so they will make a PS5 version at some point.
Publishers can negotiate the 30% cut with Sony... bigger publishers pay less because they sell more.
And no... Sony can't ask more... 30% is the maximum in PS Store contract.... lover values are negotiated case by case.
Same for Steam, Xbox, etc... any other digital story.

I don't think Alan Wake 2 will have a physical edition... dev already said there is no plan.
GOTY edition can be digital only too.

Sony has no such requirement that games needs to have physical editions... if it existed in the past it is longer gone.

OP
OP
Batzy

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Publishers can negotiate the 30% cut with Sony... bigger publishers pay less because they sell more.
And no... Sony can't ask more... 30% is the maximum in PS Store contract.... lover values are negotiated case by case.
Same for Steam, Xbox, etc... any other digital story.

I don't think Alan Wake 2 will have a physical edition... dev already said there is no plan.
GOTY edition can be digital only too.

Sony has no such requirement that games needs to have physical editions.
That's too bad, about the physical, since it is still a market in the millions.
As for the 30%, i know everyone does, except epic they do 13% i think, but Sony could ask for more since i am sure MS wants to count their users as xbox users.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's too bad, about the physical, since it is still a market in the millions.
As for the 30%, i know everyone does, except epic they do 13% i think, but Sony could ask for more since i am sure MS wants to count their users as xbox users.
How they can ask for more if any publisher can put games on PS Store without talking with Sony paying the 30% cut? There is no negotiation to have the 30% cut.
You negotiate to have a lower cut.

Yourself can put a game on PS Store just accepting the 30% cut without ask Sony.

Microsoft doesn't have games on PlayStation due Microsoft choice... not Sony... Sony has not way to block it or ask more than 30% at all.

Edit - Maybe there is another option.... not pay the 30% cut and release physical only paying the PS royalties but I think Sony has a mandatory all games needs to be on PS Store.

Reactions: Luffy123 and Batzy