Senior sales executive of tech explains why Sony will take 20% from Xbox's Blade game. Also skirts & poorly explains a pyramid scheme. (Hypothetical)

OP
OP
Batzy

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
How they can ask for more if any publisher can put games on PS Store without talking with Sony paying the 30% cut? There is no negotiation to have the 30% cut.
You negotiate to have a lower cut.

Yourself can put a game on PS Store just accepting the 30% cut without ask Sony.

Microsoft doesn't have games on PlayStation due Microsoft choice... not Sony... Sony has not way to block it or ask more than 30% at all.

Edit - Maybe there is another option.... not pay the 30% cut and release physical only paying the PS royalties but I think Sony has a mandatory all games needs to be on PS Store.
Thanks for the info. But i know for sure physical only is way worse. Sure Sony gets less, but so does the publisher for the plastic used.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Thanks for the info. But i know for sure physical only is way worse. Sure Sony gets less, but so does the publisher for the plastic used.
Physical the cut goes to retailer.
Retailer get a 25-30% cut plus there is the print and transportation costs added too.
For publishers even paying 30% to PS Store is better than selling physical... they get more from digital because digital remove a lot of 3rd costs.

Reactions: Batzy

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
All games must be approved by Sony. You can't release a patch without going through Sony, let alone publish a game. It's a closed system, not an ope market.
That is another area.
You can publish a game without never get in talk with Sony about cuts.
If your game get approved or not due a content is another area that deals with that... not the PS Store business sector.

OP
OP
Batzy

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
All games must be approved by Sony. You can't release a patch without going through Sony, let alone publish a game. It's a closed system, not an ope market.
I though the same but now it makes sense how this made it on psn.
maxresdefault.jpg

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
maxresdefault.jpg
Probably when he talks about approved by Sony is a team of content check...
They will check for things like right age seal, politics, etc.
Not related to quality of the game.

You can publish trash games to PS Store... if it gets too many reports maybe Sony will take actual action.
Sony only took action in Cybepunk case because they had millions of refunds killing their business.
You need to stop bleeding first :D

These are on PS Store (Life of Black Tigers is a masterpiece compared):

Yes $0.99 easy platinum games exists.
Because Sony doesn't curate it some guys publish trash games at the lowest price just to trophy hunters buy and get more Platinums.
It is basically pay $1 to increase your platinum numbers lol
Buy, install, get the Platinum in 2 minutes, uninstall... one more Platinum to your count.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: On Demand and Batzy

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
30% for everyone (or at least the same rules for all publishers). The fact that Sony was treating CoD differently was shameful and other big publishers should have turned on Sony and demanded the same treatment. Epic and MS will inevitably take Sony to court just like what happened with smartphones and Sony is going to look terrible because of this sort of stuff.

Sony got exactly what they deserved from their dealings with Activision/CoD.

Can't be true as Alan Wake 2 and BG3 didn't have physical versions.
Digital store fronts all have different rules for how much of a cut they take, Steam and EGS are the same.

Sony was only taking 20% from ABK, but they got the exclusive marketing deal and bundles.

Steam ain't taking 30% from Sony games, I guarantee it. Big publishers can ask for lesser cuts because they have leverage.

MS as a third party has leverage, but like it's been said, 20% of something is better than 30% of nothing, and the whole console hardware dynamic would be worth it.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
maxresdefault.jpg
I mean in the sense that all games must go through a checkup to make sure they won't harm the ecosystem, software wise. Can't let something that might run an exploit on PSN and steal data/bring the system down.

Also, that's a masterpiece compared to some things on there. I understand wanting these cheap games that people buy for platinum trophies but man, some quality control is needed.