Shift Up, the first Korean developer to formalize a publishing contract directly distributed and supported by Sony

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Shift Up announced on the 24th that it signed a PlayStation™5 (PS5™) distribution contract for ‘Stella Blade’ with Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), a manufacturer of PlayStation brand products.

Shift Up plans to collaborate with SIE to introduce the triple-A masterpiece console game 'Stella Blade' on the PS5 console throughout the world, including Korea. Through this contract, Shift Up officially becomes the first Korean company to join Sony's second party partner. informed.

'Stella Blade' first announced development news under the name 'Project: Eve' in 2019, and announced that it would challenge the global console market as an AAA game.
Afterwards, in 2021, it was the only game introduced at the official PlayStation Showcase to be released with a Korean dub, and was introduced several times in leading American media and online communities, receiving great attention.

In 2022, PlayStation's 'State of Play' announced the launch of PS5 with the official name 'Stella Blade', raising user expectations. With this contract, Shift Up has become official as Sony's second party, and expectations for box office success have grown further due to the development ability and successful experience proven through the performance of 'Goddess of Victory: Nike' and the solid partnership.
Additionally, Shift Up is attracting attention for its ability to create new IP through ‘Stellar Blade’.

Shift Up's first work, 'Destiny Child', gained great popularity by taking first place in sales in the two major domestic markets, and its next work, 'Goddess of Victory: Nike', was also released in November last year and ranked first in sales in both major domestic markets as well as Japan and Japan. It recorded great success globally, ranking first in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and third in North America.

Gamers around the world are also raising expectations for the success of Shift Up's third title, 'Stellar Blade'.
The release schedule and details of ‘Stellar Blade’ will be released later.
[Game Chosun Editorial Department [email protected] ] [ gamechosun.co.kr ]
ⓒThe copyright of the article belongs to Game Chosun. Distribution of article content and download links without permission is prohibited.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I don't think this game gonna be good but regardless, it is a great way to get exclusive games.

Prop them up and publishing games, maybe you get a hit. Buy them out later on.

Better than buying pre-established publishers for big sum of money that has little growth potentials, one flop title and not only you sunked those M&A cashes, you also incurring big loss.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
It really needs to stick the landing being the first from the land.

The big proof here will be on Sony. Do they still have the nose for talent they are known for, it’s been a while.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Shift Up announced on the 24th that it signed a PlayStation™5 (PS5™) distribution contract for ‘Stella Blade’ with Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), a manufacturer of PlayStation brand products.

Shift Up plans to collaborate with SIE to introduce the triple-A masterpiece console game 'Stella Blade' on the PS5 console throughout the world, including Korea. Through this contract, Shift Up officially becomes the first Korean company to join Sony's second party partner. informed.

'Stella Blade' first announced development news under the name 'Project: Eve' in 2019, and announced that it would challenge the global console market as an AAA game.
Afterwards, in 2021, it was the only game introduced at the official PlayStation Showcase to be released with a Korean dub, and was introduced several times in leading American media and online communities, receiving great attention.

In 2022, PlayStation's 'State of Play' announced the launch of PS5 with the official name 'Stella Blade', raising user expectations. With this contract, Shift Up has become official as Sony's second party, and expectations for box office success have grown further due to the development ability and successful experience proven through the performance of 'Goddess of Victory: Nike' and the solid partnership.
Additionally, Shift Up is attracting attention for its ability to create new IP through ‘Stellar Blade’.

Shift Up's first work, 'Destiny Child', gained great popularity by taking first place in sales in the two major domestic markets, and its next work, 'Goddess of Victory: Nike', was also released in November last year and ranked first in sales in both major domestic markets as well as Japan and Japan. It recorded great success globally, ranking first in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and third in North America.

Gamers around the world are also raising expectations for the success of Shift Up's third title, 'Stellar Blade'.
The release schedule and details of ‘Stellar Blade’ will be released later.
[Game Chosun Editorial Department [email protected] ] [ gamechosun.co.kr ]
ⓒThe copyright of the article belongs to Game Chosun. Distribution of article content and download links without permission is prohibited.
Good start. Would be good if ps could land a deal with pearl abyss for crimson desert and plan 8. A deal for project LLL with ncsoft would be could to. Get some many deals with Korean publishers that Xbox is essentially locked out of the Korean market for 3rd party deals. block Xbox out of Europe and Asia completely.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
No. Originally it was an exclusivity and marketing deal. I bet this paves the way to acquisition later on.
Christian Svensson must be really impressed with this game to elevate their partnership at this stage then.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
They also make that sex game Nikke and it's making big bucks every month. Sony should buy them for all that revenue 👀

Tex Avery Vintage Animation GIF

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Christian Svensson must be really impressed with this game to elevate their partnership at this stage then.
He became VP, head of 2nd/3rd party content ventures & Strategic Initiatives this month.

Before he was one of the VP, head of Global 3rd party relations.

And this game has been 2nd party since over a year ago (remember their September 2022 trailer), so he had nothing to do with making it 2nd party.

In addition to this, 2nd party games are handled by their regional teams. Meaning, in this case being an Asian game is handled by the Japanese XDEV team, who now have their office and before were inside Japan Studio.

Fun fact: I met him when he did work in Capcom USA, our companies had their offices door to door in San Mateo, Silicon Valley.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
No. Originally it was an exclusivity and marketing deal. I bet this paves the way to acquisition later on.

At the beginning of the trailer last year it said “Sony Interactive Entertainment presents”:

Afaik, this is always a sign of more than a marketing deal or console exclusivity. It was never in FF16, but it was in Death Stranding, Spider-Man 1 etc.

I think we will receive several such messages in the near future. There have long been rumors that Sony is exploring the South Korean market after securing some exclusive titles in China. But it is the first time that they have “purchased” and published an Asian title outside of Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearl Abyss becomes a specific topic soon, they have 2 interesting projects in development.

I don't rule out Sony buying Shift Up either, as they are also successful in the mobile market. But I wonder how they want to reconcile this with their censorship policy. Stellar Blade should be fine. Goddess of Victory: Nikke under Sony would be pretty funny though.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
At the beginning of the trailer last year it said “Sony Interactive Entertainment presents”:

Afaik, this is always a sign of more than a marketing deal or console exclusivity. It was never in FF16, but it was in Death Stranding, Spider-Man 1 etc.

I think we will receive several such messages in the near future. There have long been rumors that Sony is exploring the South Korean market after securing some exclusive titles in China. But it is the first time that they have “purchased” and published an Asian title outside of Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearl Abyss becomes a specific topic soon, they have 2 interesting projects in development.

I don't rule out Sony buying Shift Up either, as they are also successful in the mobile market. But I wonder how they want to reconcile this with their censorship policy. Stellar Blade should be fine. Goddess of Victory: Nikke under Sony would be pretty funny though.
I for one would welcome our new asstastic overlords

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This seems indicative of the game’s development going well.

Chinese and Korean devs are the next giants in the industry. Sony being proactive signing partnerships like these are probably what’s going to win then the next two decades.

Genshin exclsuive to PlayStation sells more consoles than Starfield does Xbox.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Nice to see they're starting to expand their horizons and now we know the real reason Stellar Blade was mysteriously pushed away from the xbox brand.