Shift Up, the first Korean developer to formalize a publishing contract directly distributed and supported by Sony

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Eh calling China or Korea next big giant of gaming have some true to it, China already a giant in mobile games.

AAA games, no ways in hell. What a joke.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Eh calling China or Korea next big giant of gaming have some true to it, China already a giant in mobile games.

You'd be wrong. Within 5-10 years we will have a bunch of AAA games from China/Korea. There are already Korean MMOs with AAA production value (not like naughty dog but probably middle of the pack level, modern Blizzard). Genshin is AAA and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I hope Sony BUYS them and makes 5 more Stellar Blade games just to piss these clowns off even more

121e9c865a05870433892c105a6e42fc.png

If these guys ever go to a beach (not that resetera users go outside) they would have a stroke after seeing all the beautiful women in bikinis

• haha
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
You'd be wrong. Within 5-10 years we will have a bunch of AAA games from China/Korea. There are already Korean MMOs with AAA production value (not like naughty dog but probably middle of the pack level, modern Blizzard). Genshin is AAA and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
I am not slandering.

But both South Korea and mainland China got some serious prohibition on games.

I mean both South Korea goverment and CKS limit the amount of time of playing games for fucking adults.

And some censorship here and there. Industry can't grow from animal farm.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I am not saying I am slandering(I don't hate other East Asian countries)

But both South Korea and mainland China got some serious prohibition on games.

I mean both South Korea goverment and CKS limit the amount of time of playing games for fucking adults.

And some censorship here and there.
Yes the censorship is bad but while they may have play time prohibition it doesn't prevent the companies from making games for other countries. And tbh the character designs are mostly fine. People on twitter freak out over showing 1" less skin under the skirt are just as weird as the people freaking out about having good looking women in a game

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Yes the censorship is bad but while they may have play time prohibition it doesn't prevent the companies from making games for other countries. And tbh the character designs are mostly fine. People on twitter freak out over showing 1" less skin under the skirt are just as weird as the people freaking out about having good looking women in a game
Eh when I say censorship I mean "touch sensitive subjects"

CKS is the way it is but Korea goverment think video games for kids, so no sensitive subjects.

But let's say if they lift the prohibition? Can they surpass us?

They lifted the prohibition for films industry back in like 1995? 96? I can't remember and I think they surpassed us in movies industry in general. They won an Oscar for best pictures back in 2020 and oh lord, they bragged about to the high heaven, best Asian movies industry. Shame, but I can't say I disagree

To be fair our films mindset has always been about " overacting". Like watching Western films then watching our domestic films, I feels somewhat jarring, like holy hell it just doesn't really feel natural, feels like it belongs to theater and not well, cinema.

But AAA video games industry is a different beast. So long story short, answer is no. Not in a million years, they will never get close.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
This seems indicative of the game’s development going well.

Chinese and Korean devs are the next giants in the industry. Sony being proactive signing partnerships like these are probably what’s going to win then the next two decades.

Genshin exclsuive to PlayStation sells more consoles than Starfield does Xbox.
Yep, a lot of talent out there so it's wise for Sony to be active in the region.

I hope Utilizero Games turns out to be a good one too. The one I'm really interested in though is Game Science. A lot of people were questioning Black Myth but that game has some real potential.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yep, a lot of talent out there so it's wise for Sony to be active in the region.

I hope Utilizero Games turns out to be a good one too. The one I'm really interested in though is Game Science. A lot of people were questioning Black Myth but that game has some real potential.

Asian markets are being positioned for next big push in expansion for any sensible game company. And the devs themselves will be the next big names in the industry and already becoming such. You can’t sleep on shit like this or you’ll just get Xbox’d into irrelevance. Sony bet on Fortnite and Genshin as exclusives (at first) and so far they’ve been winning bets. They have a better grasp on what to do next in the industry more than any other hardware maker.

I don’t have to agree or be excited in any form about this but it just seems like a good business move.

Sony strengthening this partnership to an extended publishing agreement can should mean that this game’s development is going well. Pretty much the opposite of the canceled KOTOR and Deviation game deals.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
I would temper expections with this game. Looks kinda meh. But I do love the fact that more triple A and Double A games are coming out of Asia. Not just that mobile junk from them.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I would temper expections with this game. Looks kinda meh. But I do love the fact that more triple A and Double A games are coming out of Asia. Not just that mobile junk from them.
I think the game is going to be fun, I trust Sony's judgment. It's sad the Reset Era purple mafia is making people not like the game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This seems indicative of the game’s development going well.

Chinese and Korean devs are the next giants in the industry. Sony being proactive signing partnerships like these are probably what’s going to win then the next two decades.

Genshin exclsuive to PlayStation sells more consoles than Starfield does Xbox.

China is the biggest country in the world in both userbase and revenue in the total gaming market and in mobile.

The top 1 laanguage in (western) Steam is simplified chinese and top 11 is traditional chinese. Considering (western) Steam must be a minor store for them considering the local ones, pretty likely China is also top 1 country in PC.

Regarding PS, Sony shared this last year, as of march 2022 China was their top 6 country, they managed to increase it from top 11 (compared to launch aligned PS4):

image.png

A year and a half ago China had more active PS5s than Canada, Australia, Italy or Spain. While also having way more spend per user plus obviously more PS+ subs than they did in PS4.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Box

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
China is the biggest country in the world in both userbase and revenue in the total gaming market and in mobile.

The top 1 laanguage in (western) Steam is simplified chinese and top 11 is traditional chinese. Considering (western) Steam must be a minor store for them considering the local ones, pretty likely China is also top 1 country in PC.
You mean top non-english language correct?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I think the game is going to be fun, I trust Sony's judgment. It's sad the Reset Era purple mafia is making people not like the game.

ResetEra isn't even that big of a forum. They don't have any real world influence.

Look at their attempted boycott of Hogwarts

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You really think the Chinese gaming audience grew 16% in a month? This is just a result of random sampling size biases.
For example, in August we have English as the dominant language at 35%
It's Steam internal data from their users who didn't disable the option to send your info, so pretty likely the info from most of their users. Chinese has been growing every month and yes, English went down from 35% to 26%, it lost 9% in 2 months.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Wait there is Steam in China.

I am shocked, did CKS didn't know about this?

The next time i saw player with Chinese name, I gonna check to see if it is either trad or simp. If simp, bomb them with Tinnamen 1989