Shinobi602: Developer/Leaker- "Reafirms Playstation Studios have a lot ready to be Shown"

OP
OP
Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I highly doubt it, I bet it's bullshit.

In the last 2-3 years most of them released games or started their current projects, and considering AAA games now take 5-6+ years and that Sony now doesn't announce games until they are a year and a half or less from release (in fact the ones of 18 months are rare cases) makes me think there are only a few ready to be shown.

On top of that, Sony now prefers to spread their game announcements across the year.

I wouldn't expect to see in the next State of Play (the summer/'E3 one') more than a couple Sony game announcements, and maybe also gameplay debut of a couple already announced games like TLOU Online, Spider-Man 2 or Wolverine.

I don't see Sony announcing over half a dozen games in the same event.

Shinobi works for Wushu studios among other places. Guy has called a shit ton of stuff and was the original person to leak Horizon:Zero dawn before announcement.

Guy knows his studios and talks to Sony Developers on the regular.

24 Jun 2022
Skip the PC ports. The big Showcases should focus exclusively on the console and peripherals that enhance the console experience. Throwing PC ports in there just muddies the message and no matter what dilutes some of the brand prestige of the console within the same Showcase! It's a tippy-toe towards the identity problem Microsoft faces today with Xbox, when it can be avoided.

The PC ports should be saved for blog posts or smaller State of Plays, at least until they get their own storefront on PC. Otherwise like @Bryank75 would say, you're just further teasing and incentivizing some core console players to switch platforms and that benefits Valve a lot more than it does SIE.

Now, PC versions of the live-service games is a different situation. Some of those are going to be Day 1 and it makes sense to focus on the PS & PC versions of those simultaneously, so inevitably that will happen at the big Showcases and that's fine.

Shinboi actually is part of the industry and actually does have access to information, not a "fake" on the level of someone like Tidux. I strongly disagree with your assessment, I think their show will be way better than you're willing to admit and I'll leave it at that. Seems like you just tend to be super negative/pessimistic/wanting the worst result with regards to PlayStation.

Yeah @Yurinka hate to add on to this pile but he's got a point. It's one thing to be realistic about expectations, it's another thing to be a Debbie Downer. FWIW, I'd like to know what your expectations for Microsoft's Showcase is. Just to see if there's similar levels of 'realistic expectations'.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Maybe we've accepted the "current gen games take 6+ years to make" narrative too willingly. Microsoft acquired Bethesda in 2021, and Phil Spencer says Starfield was in an earlier state of development than Redfall. Insomniac is on track to have 4 next-gen games in 4 years. Rockstar open worlds might legitimately take 6 years, but I think for many teams, this is just an excuse for delays. So with 2 years since Returnal and 3 years since Days Gone, I'd expect these teams have *something* that could be shown. It's not like Playstation is shy about early reveal trailers if they're gonna get people excited.

Also ^ PC ports don't muddy anything because it's the same game. No one is crippled by confusion about this. If the end of a reveal trailer has a Steam logo, it's only for the better. If anything VR is gonna be the soft spot in the showcase because Sony treats VR similar to handheld game production.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I really would like to know what Bluepoint's next game is, see what Factions is exactly and find out about upcoming new IPs. Wouldn't mind a new FFVII Rebirth trailer as well.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I really would like to know what Bluepoint's next game is, see what Factions is exactly and find out about upcoming new IPs. Wouldn't mind a new FFVII Rebirth trailer as well.
I get the feeling that Square may not show more of Rebirth until after FFXVI is out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom
P

peter42O

September will be two years since Sony had a PlayStation Showcase so it's pretty much a given that they're ready to showcase a lot of games and make announcements. Still hoping for June 8th at 6pm EST. 😂

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Shinobi works for Wushu studios among other places. Guy has called a shit ton of stuff and was the original person to leak Horizon:Zero dawn before announcement.

Guy knows his studios and talks to Sony Developers on the regular.
I also know many people in many places. But quite often even devs working on a game don't know when the marketing team will show their game.

I mean, when I worked at Ubisoft some years I was part of their E3 'war room' (was literally called like that), in charge of one the community management/development posts that were sharing the stuff in social media and collected and filtered all feeback across internet asap to address any potential shitstorm asap. Only a handful days before being shown I knew what games were going to be shown, and many of them were hidden in codenames that we didn't know what were going to be.

Only the guys on top, the ones handling the event and part of the teams involved on the games to be shown knew that their games were going to be shown weeks before. In fact, there were last minute changes like games dropped a couple days before or other ones that didn't know if were going to have their demo on time or not until the last day/week.

As an example, you may remember that Kinect was revealed in a MS conference where there was an Ubisoft fitness game. Well, I know some people who worked on that game. 3 weeks before of the E3 live demo that was going to reveal the game, the game was supposed to be a 4 players game that tracked fingers, features supposed to be supported by the game, but the Kinect driver and prototype was super buggy and unfinished and Kinect wasn't able to track 4 people, in fact did have issues to track 2. And obviously never tracked fingers.

Well, the thing is that 3 weeks before MS sent them a new driver that basically changed how most of the Kinecttstuff worked and still worked like shit but they had to almost make from scratch the demo in 3 weeks. They dropped the 4P and fingers stuff and for the demo not sure but I think they also avoided the 2P thing for the demo, which ended being playable at E3 but not sure if the live conference demo was faked as the one of the infamous Star Wars game was.

Regarding Horizon, one of the producers who did work in my studio left to work on that game and go back to Guerrilla, where he briefly worked before in Killzone 2. It was when the game still wasn't known other than with the leaked? early artwork of a different Aloy fighting these dinobots.

I have friends and coworkers in many places. In most cases people keep things confidential. In some other cases, confidential stuff gets mentioned to friends, but we don't leak a shit. Because in many cases it's easy to follow the chain and know who leaked what because it's easy to know who leaked what, and that person gets fired and not hired elsewhere, or other people stop sharing secrets if know that you'll leak them.

Regarding people who run indie studios and their games get revealed in conferences/Nintendo Directs/States of Play/random indie streams with many games like the ones of the E3 days or in other big events, they tell us hours before that their game will be shown there. Sometimes I already know the game (in some cases I mentored/incubated them), in other ones I also discover what is their next game in the reveal.

I get the feeling that Square may not show more of Rebirth until after FFXVI is out.
I think it's likely that Sony may have a big show in what were going to be the pre-E3 days, the days where big publishers have their conferences: around the first week of June. Pretty likely at this event they'll show the launch trailer of Final Fantasy XVI, because it's released a couple of days before. Or they may reveal it separatedly, in a Square event.

The thing is that at that point this will be the end of the FFXVI promotion. And if in that event Sony makes a recap of the games to be released in PS5 during the next year/year and a half, make sure FFVII Rebirth will be there because it's going to be one of the main 3rd party exclusives of that period.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I also know many people in many places. But quite often even devs working on a game don't know when the marketing team will show their game.

I know, but I've interacted with Shinobi back on reset a while back, guy knows a lot of peeps. Or at least the people he talks to on Developer level are privy to info within Sony HQ.

He knows Firesprite, he was the one who leaked Twisted Metal, he knew Gureilla Games new title almost a year before it was shown/announced.

Guy has proven to know people on a very high up level that talk to him on their projects.

So he has a unique position since he also is a developer that works closely with SOny.

Not down playing you as a source. But when it comes to specifics within Playstation Studios I trust him the most.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Skip the PC ports. The big Showcases should focus exclusively on the console and peripherals that enhance the console experience. Throwing PC ports in there just muddies the message and no matter what dilutes some of the brand prestige of the console within the same Showcase! It's a tippy-toe towards the identity problem Microsoft faces today with Xbox, when it can be avoided.

The PC ports should be saved for blog posts or smaller State of Plays, at least until they get their own storefront on PC. Otherwise like @Bryank75 would say, you're just further teasing and incentivizing some core console players to switch platforms and that benefits Valve a lot more than it does SIE.

Now, PC versions of the live-service games is a different situation. Some of those are going to be Day 1 and it makes sense to focus on the PS & PC versions of those simultaneously, so inevitably that will happen at the big Showcases and that's fine.

Yeah @Yurinka hate to add on to this pile but he's got a point. It's one thing to be realistic about expectations, it's another thing to be a Debbie Downer. FWIW, I'd like to know what your expectations for Microsoft's Showcase is. Just to see if there's similar levels of 'realistic expectations'.

Shinobi is 100% and more of what you guys are saying.

Also thanks for saying what I would have said about PC ports... I think you put it better than I ever have.
Sony has no stake in PC..

Especially after what MSFT has tried to do, taking away key partners permanently. They should have zero time for PC except for one or two GAAS.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

I mean, when I worked at Ubisoft some years I was part of their E3 'war room' (was literally called like that), in charge of one the community management/development posts that were sharing the stuff in social media and collected and filtered all feeback across internet asap to address any potential shitstorm asap. Only a handful days before being shown I knew what games were going to be shown, and many of them were hidden in codenames that we didn't know what were going to be.

Only the guys on top, the ones handling the event and part of the teams involved on the games to be shown knew that their games were going to be shown weeks before. In fact, there were last minute changes like games dropped a couple days before or other ones that didn't know if were going to have their demo on time or not until the last day/week.

As an example, you may remember that Kinect was revealed in a MS conference where there was an Ubisoft fitness game. Well, I know some people who worked on that game. 3 weeks before of the E3 live demo that was going to reveal the game, the game was supposed to be a 4 players game that tracked fingers, features supposed to be supported by the game, but the Kinect driver and prototype was super buggy and unfinished and Kinect wasn't able to track 4 people, in fact did have issues to track 2. And obviously never tracked fingers.

Well, the thing is that 3 weeks before MS sent them a new driver that basically changed how most of the Kinecttstuff worked and still worked like shit but they had to almost make from scratch the demo in 3 weeks. They dropped the 4P and fingers stuff and for the demo not sure but I think they also avoided the 2P thing for the demo, which ended being playable at E3 but not sure if the live conference demo was faked as the one of the infamous Star Wars game was.

Regarding Horizon, one of the producers who did work in my studio left to work on that game and go back to Guerrilla, where he briefly worked before in Killzone 2. It was when the game still wasn't known other than with the leaked? early artwork of a different Aloy fighting these dinobots.

I have friends and coworkers in many places. In most cases people keep things confidential. In some other cases, confidential stuff gets mentioned to friends, but we don't leak a shit. Because in many cases it's easy to follow the chain and know who leaked what because it's easy to know who leaked what, and that person gets fired and not hired elsewhere, or other people stop sharing secrets if know that you'll leak them.

Regarding people who run indie studios and their games get revealed in conferences/Nintendo Directs/States of Play/random indie streams with many games like the ones of the E3 days or in other big events, they tell us hours before that their game will be shown there. Sometimes I already know the game (in some cases I mentored/incubated them), in other ones I also discover what is their next game in the reveal.

I think it's likely that Sony may have a big show in what were going to be the pre-E3 days, the days where big publishers have their conferences: around the first week of June. Pretty likely at this event they'll show the launch trailer of Final Fantasy XVI, because it's released a couple of days before. Or they may reveal it separatedly, in a Square event.

The thing is that at that point this will be the end of the FFXVI promotion. And if in that event Sony makes a recap of the games to be released in PS5 during the next year/year and a half, make sure FFVII Rebirth will be there because it's going to be one of the main 3rd party exclusives of that period.
The thing with all this is that, EVERY SINGLE TIME, this happens in this particular order:
  1. CONCERNED CITIZENS come crying, spreading FUD saying Sony have nothing to show, that their output is dry and they're in hiding infear, trying to spread some false narrative in hopes to sour sony gamers happiness and enthusiasm, which usually amounts to nothing because nobody cares about forums and twitter
  2. Sony comes with a showcase, ps experience whatever firing all cilinders proving everyone was wrong and making these people looking like clowns. They did with ps5, god of war ragnarok, ff7 remake, horizon forbidden west, kh3 and are now doing with spider man since the marketing has begun this week with the release of the free tie in comic.
Now let me ask you: why keep writing these text walls when you have no evidence they have nothing to show after history proving you and other fearmongering spreaders wrong a BUNCH of times? Nobody takes these FUD campaigns seriously anymore and it's more likely, given history, that shinobi is right and you are not.
So let's stop now to not look silly in a few weeks or months, shall we?

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Playstation are coasting to record sales and profits xbox are not putting them under any pressure at all. Sony can afford to drip feed game reveals as and when they feel like it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Jim Ryan: You want a showcase? Best I can do is to shut down a studio.

YES ! But just not remastered.
Hum, that is scary if it's no Bluepoint. Even if it's them, it will need to be their best remake so far in terms of capturing what the original game was going for since it other than some technical limitations it has aged pretty well.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The thing with all this is that, EVERY SINGLE TIME, this happens in this particular order:
  1. CONCERNED CITIZENS come crying, spreading FUD saying Sony have nothing to show, that their output is dry and they're in hiding infear, trying to spread some false narrative in hopes to sour sony gamers happiness and enthusiasm, which usually amounts to nothing because nobody cares about forums and twitter
  2. Sony comes with a showcase, ps experience whatever firing all cilinders proving everyone was wrong and making these people looking like clowns. They did with ps5, god of war ragnarok, ff7 remake, horizon forbidden west, kh3 and are now doing with spider man since the marketing has begun this week with the release of the free tie in comic.
Now let me ask you: why keep writing these text walls when you have no evidence they have nothing to show after history proving you and other fearmongering spreaders wrong a BUNCH of times? Nobody takes these FUD campaigns seriously anymore and it's more likely, given history, that shinobi is right and you are not.
So let's stop now to not look silly in a few weeks or months, shall we?
I'd say the pattern is more like this:
  1. Some people cries and is very concerned about supposed lack of communication of Sony ignoring all their releases and announcements
  2. Some fake insiders make too optimistic and often unrealistic guesses about supposed events or copy paste some rumors readed elsewhere and mix it together, sometimes mixed with publicly known official info and common sense. As the examples I said about Sony buying Squre Enix
  3. When that even doesn't happen they say it has been delayed, and keep saying that until Sony does their next state of play. Example: last year and the supossed PlayStation Showcase that never happened
  4. Sony finally makes a State of Play but obviously doesn't fit the unrealistic claims mentioned, so people gets dissapointed with their own expectations grown due to the fake claims. And then goes to step 1
You should stop believing these false prophets: from time to time they get some guess or leak right but mostly fail. And instead apply common sense.

Sony making an important stream in the pre-E3 days as they did almost every summer? Wow, nobody expected that! Must be a super insider whoever thought that!

And specially now that they already released most of the ones they were mostly using for their marketing? And also when the PSVR2 launch window campaign is over and now that finally have consoles in the store, and that the ABK acquisition seems to be dead? Obviously, the common sense says Sony pretty likely will announce a few big games as usual in their similar events (as could be the ones whose development time fit with an announcement around these dates like the ones I mentioned) and show announced stuff of games that still have to show like Spider-Man 2, TLOU Online, Wolverine, Stellar Blade, FF VII Rebirth.

Me? Fearmongering and spreading FUD? Or acting as a fake insider as them and being wrong? Tell me a single example of a supposed leak I made, and later got wrong. It doesn't exist because I didn't leak anything. I only share publicly known info from other places, most of the times providing the source links. And then like everybody else comment it and make my own analysis or guesses, separated from that.

Hum, that is scary if it's no Bluepoint. Even if it's them, it will need to be their best remake so far in terms of capturing what the original game was going for since it other than some technical limitations it has aged pretty well.
Bluepoint said they weren't working on any remake or remaster, but instead instead they were working on original content. And the first they released is God of War Ragnarok, acting them as one of the support codevelopment teams.

Playstation are coasting to record sales and profits xbox are not putting them under any pressure at all. Sony can afford to drip feed game reveals as and when they feel like it.
Well, more or less it's what Sony did. Seems that since the PS5 release they stopped long term announcements, slowed down the announcements or showing future long term stuff, and instead focused their marketing on very short term releases.

I assume because they had enough appealing short term stuff to do it and also because didn't make a lot of sense to rise the hype too much without having consoles in the stores and many great stuff in the short term.

Now that they have consoles in the store, already marketed the new PS Plus and PSVR2 and this summer will have most of the top exclusives that were their key marketing weapons already released, obviously will be a good point to start showing announcing top stuff they announced but didn't show (like Spider-Man 2) or their next main exclusives to be announced.

Last edited: