SIE President Jim Ryan's Q&A with Investors from Fidelity is now Live

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
@KnittedKnight

The castle walls are made out of Playstation first party games. PC ports strengthen the walls by Ryan's own statement.
The walls are strengthened by being broken up and erected elsewhere?
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
PSStudios should be the name for studios that ONLY publish on PS consoles. The others should be SIE Studios
Omg yes! Do that more clearly/customer facing.

I fucking hate the way PS Studios are communicated. I suggested using XDev as 2nd Party branding I suppose, but was told that wouldn't work as XDev has different meaning/history behind it.

Make them into "PS STUDIOS" and "PSX" Studios as far as collab games go. "PS x Kojima Productions" branded Death Stranding 2 sort of puts the ownus on the game collaboration rather than calling KP a PS STUDIO on the DS1 marketing and then he's off making some cloud game for XB.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
What if Bungie still sees them as competition and is purposely sabotaging SIE 1st party games 😂🤣

I'm kidding but I think Sony is giving them way too much power for a studio they just acquired and is technically still "independent".
My takeaway is they are using Bungie to help them develop live service gaas only. Bungie has nothing to do with the single player IP, relax.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
My takeaway is they are using Bungie to help them develop live service gaas only. Bungie has nothing to do with the single player IP, relax.
Umm...my comment was mostly a joke but you know Factions 2 development was halted because of input from Bungie right ??? And Factions 2 is a first party IP, Sony heavily invested in Deviation Games upcoming game and it supposedly failed the Bungie test as well, which is why development was stopped.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Umm...my comment was mostly a joke but you know Factions 2 development was halted because of input from Bungie right ??? And Factions 2 is a first party IP, Sony heavily invested in Deviation Games upcoming game and it supposedly failed the Bungie test as well, which is why development was stopped.

Correct, and Factions 2, Deviation title are gaas.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
This guy is the biggest buffoon to ever run PlayStation, he doesn't give a shit about the platform or the audience. It's all about the fast bucks over the longterm health.

He doesn't even understand what PlayStation is, he doesn't understand the audience, the expectations and IMPORTANTLY, the threats that are quickly emerging.

He said himself that PC was a direct competitor but then says that putting games on PC is positive.... so, he isn't being competitive then. He is just giving up and trying to make a few bucks on the way out? Seems like it.

Fuck you Jim, Fuck you.
I'm so glad there are people more eloquent than I who can explain the meaning behind my inate ramblings. I wish I could double Freeman "they're right you know" reaction this post lol

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't think there's any evidence that the PC strategy has damaged the PS5 or Sony brand or console appeal yet.
That comes as cheaper PC game prices, Switch 2/Deck and friends have portability and better tech creep solving 3P support; and getting cheaper as newer ones come out. Give it a gen more or so of Sony directly enabling Valve and it won't be a question of having a handheld competitor, it'll be instead why does someone need to purchase a PS6?

I'd be one thing if there was some synergy between Valve and Sony for PC or VR; but Sony seem involved with Epic/Game Store, and Valve don't support back with FTC case approval for MS, not putting Alyx on PSVR2 etc.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
"recognise the economics of game development" - Jim Ryan
Not every game needs to be a 7 year epic development. Gameplay can stay at a certain level and added-to with different story games/story dlc chapters produced at a faster scale. Establish a release cadence. Instead of a meandering 20 hour story with fetch quest galore, more focused chunks of dlc story chapters as everyone learns this stage of tlou's engine, Uncharted's engine, Horizon's engine etc.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Sony did share a slide where they detailed what the Bungie role was going to be in GaaS game reviews which shows that this article is wrong.

Bungie doesn't review games from other studios, they instead joined a SIE team where there's also PS Studios management, PS Studios and SIE publishing. That team reviews and approves GaaS/MS specific stuff. Not the games themselves, and even less non-GaaS games.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Factions got repacked into a retail game. That may even mean release is sooner than it would’ve been. Nor does it hurt what the game could be. Destiny needs 700 devs across 4 different teams if not more. Marathon has effectively doubled studio size. And they opened up an Amsterdam location in addition to having just opened a new larger hq a few months ago.

Factions would either need to be strictly PvP or be sustained with both seasonal and yearly narrative content to sell to players. Do you believe ND has the bandwidth to sustain this output or even the tools to do so with a steady content pipeline. 500 million dollars later 343 sure as fuck couldn’t do it. I personally think they should stick to their bread and butter narrative driven games vs online games that rest squarely on action and gameplay. The boxed release would be a fine move.

The risk is huge. There’s only like 10 succesful live service games and most are PvP only which involve less asset development and do not charge money for expansion content. It becomes harder to challenge the established games with each passing month as well. They’ve been thru these growing pains and are going thru evolutions. It will become even harder for new challengers to the space. It would need to be a new game type altogether.

Any and every online multiplayer game can become a live service during its lifespan but they do not need to be developed with such aspirations in mind. Destiny 1 at launch wouldn’t fit the newest expectations of what a live service is today for instance. It looks like the industry is beginning to see that. Street Fighter, Gran Turismo and Destiny (halo) were all natural fits due to the iterative nature and natural evolutions of their genres. Monster Hunter is next.

It will be the Gotham knights situation where it’ll be repackaged into a one and done “boxed” release. Pretty sure same thing is going on with suicide squad. Could it see expansion content? Yea it could and it is possible to launch it into live service at a later date.

Conceptually i always imagined factions would be a spin on the division and it seemed like that game could serve as the framework imo. Potential is there for a fictional universe since actually having monsters is far more useful for making a fun pve video game vs fighting a helicopter and bullet sponge sentry dude. Then again… div 2 died where fallout 76 lived.

Last edited: