So all three console platforms were down in hardware AND software, yet playstation gets the headlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
And Sony had the least amount of drops in revenue.

wanda-maximoff-wanda.gif

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I guess I just don't pay attention to whatever media you guys do lol Saw a ton of "Xbox revenue down" articles.. even on places like WindowsCentral.

Sony says the most about their financials and honestly to me are the most interesting company to watch, as they are the one I care the most about in console gaming... and are undergoing the most changes w/ PC and GAAS... that's why they are the one I'd care about/talk about the most personally.

Literally don't care about Nintendo and MS just doesn't release enough info to be all that interesting... other than to say "everyone down but Gamepass subs" vs. all of Sony's detail and talk of their upcoming strategy to combat software taking a dump.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I guess I just don't pay attention to whatever media you guys do lol Saw a ton of "Xbox revenue down" articles.. even on places like WindowsCentral.

Sony says the most about their financials and honestly to me are the most interesting company to watch, as they are the one I care the most about in console gaming... and are undergoing the most changes w/ PC and GAAS... that's why they are the one I'd care about/talk about the most personally.

Literally don't care about Nintendo and MS just doesn't release enough info to be all that interesting... other than to say "everyone down but Gamepass subs" vs. all of Sony's detail and talk of their upcoming strategy to combat software taking a dump.

Seems like sony talk themselves into bad press when they don’t have to but it could be their investors wanting more info vs microsoft who are still making money outside of xbox and don’t really care about their long term strategy.

Microsoft despite being down in almost every metric, just talked up xcloud and outselling ps5 in North America in units again. Nintendo was down but they hit a milestone console number.

Sony really didn’t even try to soften the blow, they were like, “yeah we fucked up projections idk lol 🤪

Reactions: Hobbygaming

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Stop following MS paid shills on twitter or getting your news from garbage websites. MS spends way too much money on PR, controlling the narrative and astroturfing.

Xbox hides their numbers, it'll always look bad by default until they find the courage to share it. The thing is the people at Xbox to this day still have to convince shareholders that investing money into their gaming division that so far in 20 years has only proven to be a money sink is worth it (now more then ever). If they start making it public how little their games are selling, the average price someone pays for Gamepass, they'll be putting their own jobs at risk.

Xbox reminds me of SE bullshiting investors with the NFT talk but instead of NFT Xbox uses other buzzwords like cloud and subscription. The truth is xCloud has release for some time now and has proven to not be disruptive in any way and Gamepass was already struggling to grow even when it had no direct competitor.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems like sony talk themselves into bad press when they don’t have to but it could be their investors wanting more info vs microsoft who are still making money outside of xbox and don’t really care about their long term strategy.

Microsoft despite being down in almost every metric, just talked up xcloud and outselling ps5 in North America in units again. Nintendo was down but they hit a milestone console number.

Sony really didn’t even try to soften the blow, they were like, “yeah we fucked up projections idk lol 🤪
I don’t think that was the reason imo.
Most financial people thought Somy results as good.

It just that some fans take all numbers out of context without even read why the numbers are like that and started the doom.

After the earnings Somy shares just rise after a constant decrease from July 21.

Reactions: arvfab
24 Jun 2022
And since sony is he only one to actually report profits it looks worse because they are investing it into studio expansion and software

And there's your answer. It's funny when some people ask for more transparency from these companies, but only do so for one specific platform holder and only to weaponize it against them. Extremely disingenuous and malicious behavior.

Doesn't help when one of the platform holders openly associates with some of the same types who engage in that very behavior and make content (and money) off of perpetuating it within the community.

I don’t think that was the reason imo.
Most financial people thought Somy results as good.

It just that some fans take all numbers out of context without even read why the numbers are like that and started the doom.

After the earnings Somy shares just rise after a constant decrease from July 21.

I think the issue is, it's always the same handful of people who do it, they happen to be very vocal and some of them not only have big platforms to push narratives but have some form of support from people at major companies that typically preach about fighting toxicity in gaming yet have fingerprints here and there on individuals who do nothing but push toxicity.

It's really that last part; if said companies didn't unironically support that type of divisive stuff, said toxic elements would feel less galvanized to do what they do.

The approach companies like Microsoft take now is directly in line with how we've seen transparency gradually drift away from public-facing sources like NPD, to the detriment of nuanced, detailed discussion of the business side of the industry by hobbyists.

The specific problem is it seems like a certain group of people unironically want even more of what little public-facing transparency remains, to disappear, as they take very detailed results company like Sony provide, and then weaponize them to push FUD narratives simply for clicks.

And unfortunately when they do that, it does end up becoming a rather prominent topic among hobbyist gaming discussions and discourse, it becomes rather difficult to not see the overly dramatic, hyperbolic topics and perspectives, which also become weaponized. And that stuff unfortunately permeates its way into otherwise honest and genuine gaming discussions.

I think that's the bigger issue, personally.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Yeah XBox is a side-project for Microsoft that is also a strategic play which is how they get away with giving less info.. Playstation became one of the cores to Sony's profitability during the PS4 generation and it's a major part of the company's financials and investors want to know shit.

I think Nintendo reports profits though? I dunno, they released that info in the middle of the night USA time... it's not like "bad press" has had much time to react lol

I've said it many times and I'll say it again though... you guys pay way too much attention to Twitter/Youtube retards. Outside of that I see the media just... reporting on what the company's said.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
🤪
Yeah XBox is a side-project for Microsoft that is also a strategic play which is how they get away with giving less info.. Playstation became one of the cores to Sony's profitability during the PS4 generation and it's a major part of the company's financials and investors want to know shit.

I think Nintendo reports profits though? I dunno, they released that info in the middle of the night USA time... it's not like "bad press" has had much time to react lol

I've said it many times and I'll say it again though... you guys pay way too much attention to Twitter/Youtube retards. Outside of that I see the media just... reporting on what the company's said.

It pops up in some of the gaming podcast i listen to all. The doom and gloom permeates through all facets of game discussion

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
You're just self victimizing OP.

All of them got decent headlines, Nintendo just came out a few hours ago. Give it some time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: DarkMage619

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
And since sony is he only one to actually report profits it looks worse because they are investing it into studio expansion and software
I still find it bizarre you guys spin this:

Operating income decreased a significant 30.5 billion yen year-on-year to 52.8 billion yen primarily due to the impact of the decrease in software sales and an increase in game software development costs.

Into "because they are investing into studio expansion and software."

Less game sales and higher costs were what actually happened.

It's not doom and gloom.. it's just reality.. it was a tough quarter for Playstation, hence Sony making their report about how they are going to mitigate the unexpected downturn.

Costs are rising for everyone not just from "investing." Salaries jumped in tech, inflation causing all kinds of other costs to go up.. I'm not even sure where you guys are getting this "it's because of investing" stuff? Honest question.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Thats literally what they said
I posted what they literally said in the post you just quoted. It was a direct quote from their speech transcript.

They said it was lagging game sales and increased dev costs.

At bare minimum you guys just completely ignoring the lowered game sales is just.. well, I dunno what else to say, but obviously purposeful. There's no way you and people like ethomaz didn't read that lol

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I'm not even sure where you guys are getting this "it's because of investing" stuff? Honest question.

This was also part of the report:

In addition to acquiring studios such as Bungie and Haven in recent years, we have significantly increased our investment in content development in our existing studios. As a result, our first party software revenue has grown at a high rate.

Sony also reported operating income for its games business were affected by increasing costs, particularly for games development at major studios.

And no im not completely ignoring the lower game sales, almost everyone has acknowledged there wasn’t major 1st party and 3rd party game releases, but the reason their operating income is down so severely is because of internal investments its also easy to see because revenue only dipped 2% in comparison

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This was also part of the report:

And no im not completely ignoring the lower game sales, almost everyone has acknowledged there wasn’t major 1st party and 3rd party game releases, but the reason their operating income is down so severely is because of internal investments its also easy to see because revenue only dipped 2% in comparison
This again.

Somy were very clear about why they had that 37% profit decrease and that includes part of the profit being invested in first-party game development plus expenses with acquisitions.

The revenue is basically flat… ok ok 2% down… that already tells you that something is off with that 37% profit drop.

If you don’t want to read the context of the thing then why bother with the financials doc 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.