So all three console platforms were down in hardware AND software, yet playstation gets the headlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Aug 2022

fees.png
Smoke my pole.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Worldwide gaming revenue in USD for console makers, as usual Sony is top 1:
PTpVJ87.png

Gaming worldwide revenue market share, as usual Sony is top 1 in console makers:
r3enr6E.png

Gaming revenue YoY change (this quarter Sony decreased less than the other ones):
I8Bb3ct.png

Nintendo's revenue in red and operating profit in pink (-7.5% YoY, unlike Sony Nintendo didn't include here acquisitions related costs) decrease:
image.png

Microsoft gaming operating profits evolution:

100% bullshit, they never said that or similar. Btw the amount of gaming subscription subs is:
  1. PS Plus 47M
  2. Nintendo Switch online 32M
  3. Game Pass 25M

Find this really interesting....

Like how Nintendo is almost a mirror image of PlayStation in the market share chart

Also Xbox seems to definitely be making ground up from about 23/24% to about 32/33%.... so that is almost 10 % increase

While PlayStation is only up 5% from 40% to 45%....possibly explained by limited stock.

While Nintendo is down from 38% to about 23%....which is about 15% (which equals the amount PS and Xbox have gained over the same time)

So the new consoles are definitely costing Nintendo in market share.

I think if Sony get their stock sorted, we will see PlayStation pull % back off Xbox and continue to benefit from Nintendo losing market share. Could see PS hit 50% or more.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Also Xbox seems to definitely be making ground up from about 23/24% to about 32/33%.... so that is almost 10 % increase
Yes, it's basically due to all the company acquisitions completed in this period (last one being Zenimax/Bethesda last year) so their revenue gets added on top starting when their acquisition gets closed.

If they would provide their operating loses wouldn't look that pretty, because they spent almost $100B in recent years and their revenue is far from recouping that until now or in the mid term.

While PlayStation is only up 5% from 40% to 45%....possibly explained by limited stock.
Yes, to get rid of chips shortages plus many 1st and 3rd party big games like Ragnarok being released this year and the new PS+ and soon PSVR2 will help it grow more.

While Nintendo is down from 38% to about 23%....which is about 15% (which equals the amount PS and Xbox have gained over the same time)
As can be seen in Nintendo's revenue and profit chart Switch during this period achieved its yearly sales peak which means after it will keep going down until replaced by its successor. PS5 and series instead are still in the part of of the sales curve where they are growing before achieving their peek, so keep growing.

Specially in the case of PS4, which still generates a ton of money with Plus, games and games digital add-ons.

I think if Sony get their stock sorted, we will see PlayStation pull % back off Xbox and continue to benefit from Nintendo losing market share. Could see PS hit 50% or more.
Sony's estimate is to grow from the ~45% they had with PS4 to ~55% (I assume they mean the quarter before they released PS4 vs the quarter before they release PS6.

Status
Not open for further replies.