So Starfield Flopped? Sales Below expectations?

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Considering they knew and willingly gave up millions of sales on PS, I am personally without sympathy for any troubles MS and Bethesda may have with Starfield. As @toadsage44 said: "They made this bed, now they can lie in it."

On another note, it's been one bad decision after another with XBox. This is just the latest one. I really wonder how long MS will continue to tolerate these constant failures.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Considering they knew and willingly gave up millions of sales on PS, I am personally without sympathy for any troubles MS and Bethesda may have with Starfield. As @toadsage44 said: "They made this bed, now they can lie in it."

On another note, it's been one bad decision after another with XBox. This is just the latest one. I really wonder how long MS will continue to tolerate these constant failures.
In hindsight, spending $7.5 billion for bethesda is absolute blunder for MS lmao. Mark my words, losing Playstation supports will kill bethesda for good 😂.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
In hindsight, spending $7.5 billion for bethesda is absolute blunder for MS lmao. Mark my words, losing Playstation supports will kill bethesda for good 😂.

Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company, as much as i hate them this is just oocket change for them

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company, as much as i hatw then this is just oocket change for them

That's true, but you don't become and remain a 2 trillion company by spending millions consistently on a division with poor returns. XBox is already an outlier in terms how long they've stuck with it (compared to other divisions they've bailed on much sooner). I don't expect them to throw in the towel, but if this downward trajectory continues - their current strategy may be changed whether Phil likes it or not.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Money isn’t infinite and Microsoft has other divisions to feed.

Xbox can’t keep leaking money.

Exactly, people act as if microsoft never killed unsuccessful product lines before. If something doesn’t make money and its actually costing a lot to maintain then they are gonna cut budgets or that line of product.

Companies don’t grow to be this size taking decades of losses

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Exactly, people act as if microsoft never killed unsuccessful product lines before. If something doesn’t make money and its actually costing a lot to maintain then they are gonna cut budgets or that line of product.

Xbox has never been successful, it has never made a profit from day one yet they have kept the brand alive for all these years.

Believe me i wish they killed this brand off years ago, Microsoft are parasites

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Xbox has never been successful, it has never made a profit from day one yet they have kept the brand alive for all these years.

Believe me i wish they killed this brand off years ago, Microsoft are parasites

Correct they have never been successful.

Difference now is that Microsoft has pumped 85 billion worth of investment into Xbox.

If they are still unsuccessful then it’s goodbye.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Correct they have never been successful.

Difference now is that Microsoft has pumped 85 billion worth of investment into Xbox.

If they are still unsuccessful then it’s goodbye.
Lol saying they never been successful is big cap

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I think the problem right now is that Xbox is a significant portion of their revenue, it's close to 10% of their annual revenue. Even if 70% of that is money owed to 3rd party publishers selling product on their platform, it would be a significant downgrade to their revenue if they just shut it down, which may affect the stock performance and endanger Nadella's job. So they're probably loathe to cut it without significant shareholder pushback.

• sad
Reactions: Box

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
It did not do well in the UK when looking at boxed sales.

15k first week which even with an 80% digital share puts it below Fallout 76.

4k in Spain week 1 is the only other number we have.
Really? Because I saw a chart getting passed around that seemed to show it ranking high in boxed sales at the time.