So Starfield Flopped? Sales Below expectations?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Really? Because I saw a chart getting passed around that seemed to show it ranking high in boxed sales at the time.
We don't have enough information to say. Based on the available evidence I don't think Starfield did that great.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Other comments here are so true, if Starfield was hyped to the moon and didn't move the needle, I doubt Avowed, Hellbade, Fable, or whatever else they release will.

Xbox's next best chance is Elder Scrolls 6 in 2028 😂🤣 What a disaster

You don't create a brand by buying your way into the industry, they can buy every developer on the planet, I'm still not going to buy an Xbox.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Really? Because I saw a chart getting passed around that seemed to show it ranking high in boxed sales at the time.
It was number 1 in the UK but it was a small week so 15,000 (including bundles, preorders, collector's editions) was enough to get number 1.

FF16 sold 31,000 in a busy period in a shorter time because Starfield came out on a Wednesday.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It was number 1 in the UK but it was a small week so 15,000 (including bundles, preorders, collector's editions) was enough to get number 1.

FF16 sold 31,000 in a busy period in a shorter time because Starfield came out on a Wednesday.
I still can’t believe that Chris Dring tried to lie about Starfield outselling FF16 with such pitiful numbers

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
See below

Chris Dring shamelessly said it "could be" the biggest launch of 2023, which is absurd. There were no numbers to support that. It's like saying the Switch 2 could be the most powerful console on earth with no specs to work from. The fact that you went away with the impression that it did well is proof that the MS PR machine did the trick.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
See below

Chris Dring shamelessly said it "could be" the biggest launch of 2023, which is absurd. There were no numbers to support that. It's like saying the Switch 2 could be the most powerful console on earth with no specs to work from. The fact that you went away with the impression that it did well is proof that the MS PR machine did the trick.
So now Microsoft/Xbox are fudging the numbers, making it seem like Starfield had better first week numbers than it actually did. Xbox and Chris Dring are desperate to make it seem like it's not a flop.

Starfields early access period doesn't count towards the "first week", so this is 2 weeks of sales being presented as 1st week 😐 What a joke of a company. All they do is manipulate and fudge numbers where ever they can. And of course the usual suspects are already running with it to downplay FF16 even more.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/starfield-is-the-fifth-biggest-game-launch-in-europe-this-year-so-far

Thief1987

23 Feb 2023
It apparently did well in UK boxed sales? So I doubt it's a complete flop. And given MS knows Game Pass cannibalizes sales, it's hard to say what their expectations were.

The REAL measure of success for them will be how many GP subs it generated, and how many will be retained.
3% of FO4 launch is "did well" now?

Reactions: toadsage44

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
By traditional means, it absolutely flopped when compared with it's budget. Thing is, traditional conjecture doesn't apply to MS owned games because we don't have access to hard numbers pertaining digital sales on pc or console and we also lack info on new subscribers for gp. All we have to compare is physical sales + Steam.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well there not gonna hit 25m at $60 like the leaks showed they expected
Lol, how the hell did they expect it to do as well Fallout 4 while removing the game from a massive install base?

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well @ethomaz, someone sure expected starfield to perform like Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

In that most important of contexts, it's a total and catastrophic flop.
Did you read the document?

That is what Bethesda expected with the release in all platforms including PS5 without Gamepass.
It was in their schedule to release in 2021.

But Microsoft purchased them at ends of 2020 and everything changed.

So Bethesda indeed expected it to sell like Skyrim and Fallout.
Now... should you change your expectation if you were not allowed to release on PS5 (basically 80% of console sales) and have to be day one on Gamepass? Think a bit about.

PS. You guys are looking at documents that forecast future 2021 releases... this year was suppose to have a Starfield big DLC from that leak.