so... with everything going on with Xbox, what are Sony's plan for PlayStation in the future?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I'm not sure if many people on here are old enough to remember when the DC discontinued, it led to Sony stagnating. When the Xbox and GC came along, it gave Sony a massive kick up the arse.

Arrogant Sony is the worst of all console makers, and with how arrogant they've been this gen with only a handheld as competition, I hate to see what happens when it's MS making the games for them.

Slice it anyway you want, Sony is releasing a fraction of games than it used to. It's only insomniac and a token effort from GG that have released games.

Three years into the gen and Sony have released fewer games than they used to do in six months.

The western console industry is in trouble and I don't see Sony getting off scot free this time.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'm not sure if many people on here are old enough to remember when the DC discontinued, it led to Sony stagnating. When the Xbox and GC came along, it gave Sony a massive kick up the arse.
What are you talking about? PS1 and PS2 were both amazing consoles. Dreamcast was discontinued right before PS2 went on it's historic run......No idea how you can consider that stagnation?
Arrogant Sony is the worst of all console makers, and with how arrogant they've been this gen with only a handheld as competition, I hate to see what happens when it's MS making the games for them.
This makes no sense, "arrogant Sony" has never been worse than arrogant Microsoft or arrogant Nintendo. When 360 had the dominant market share, Xbox literally wouldn't allow Valve to give away free DLC FOR THEIR OWN GAME, because it would "set a bad precedent". And current Nintendo never has any of their products go on sales....ever. Maybe $10 off a 6 year old game, if you're lucky.
Slice it anyway you want, Sony is releasing a fraction of games than it used to. It's only insomniac and a token effort from GG that have released games.
Another comment that has no basis in reality.....PS5 has more 1st party games in its first 3 years than both PS4 or PS3.....Why are you lying?

The western console industry is in trouble and I don't see Sony getting off scot free this time.
Sony is still a Japanese company, so there's only 1 Western console and that's Xbox.... and yes, they're obviously in trouble, so I guess this is kind of true. But I don't get what you mean by Sony not getting off scot free, they're dominating right now and can easily continue to dominate if they make the right moves.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Hmmm, as I mentioned in my post as well I too see them going with Apple. It should have happened at the very start of this generation since the DualSense is already the official gaming control for Apple devices.

You should post a bit more as well @Zeroing
Development is not always easy. Thanks I shall try to post more without getting into trouble.
Hermen Hulst? The guy is even more clueless. It was Jim Ryan who even went back on Hermen's initial PC push to have games on PC one year after release.
He is aright, at least he knows how games are made. A lot of Sony's dormant IPs are being revived because of him. He is more a multiplayer guy who sees Playstation as lacking on it. Just wish they went back to the PS4 era type of management where they were also seeking artsy games. The industry is afraid of taking risks and Playstation is not.

Three years into the gen and Sony have released fewer games than they used to do in six months.

I am not that old but I have seem some nice documentaries about video games. Fun fact, xbox has almost no impact in gaming.
Before Sony, games were frown upon as something for children. Playstation change it all, specially with PS2 so give them some credit.

Ah the old "Arrogant Sony" what have they done now?

You know new IPs are risky and some never come true and that cost time and money.... at least they do New IPs yeah their schedule is a bit off, so is with the rest of the industry, developing times keep getting bigger.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Development is not always easy. Thanks I shall try to post more without getting into trouble.

Def avoid getting in trouble 😬. But, always enjoy seeing your comments always very informative with the little you dare to share from behind the scenes.

He is aright, at least he knows how games are made. A lot of Sony's dormant IPs are being revived because of him. He is more a multiplayer guy who sees Playstation as lacking on it. Just wish they went back to the PS4 era type of management where they were also seeking artsy games. The industry is afraid of taking risks and Playstation is not.

Yes! I've heard he's big on Multiplayer and glad he recognized their failing in that department. PS4 era was the era to go all in on Multiplayer.

How do I get Hermen to get a competent multiplayer focused studio to remaster and refine Uncharted 3 Multiplayer renamed into Uncharted Online... 😁

Hopefully the dormant IP's coming back start being ones from the PS3 and PS2 eras eventually... just saying

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I actually hope that now that there's less pressure to always have console-selling level games they will be open to having a portion of their first party dedicated to smaller japanese games, with more technical polish than most japanese games can muster. I believe there's an untapped market for demon's souls remake level games that sell 2-4 million and cost $30-50m to make

Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Sony's plans will be to continue with their current strategy:
  • To focus on their console to grow its business
  • To also keep growing in accesories, VR, PC, movies/tv shows and to continue working to grow in mobile too soon
  • To continue growing their internal gamedev teams to allow them work in more games at the same time
  • To continue making acquisitions and partnerships to grow in areas where they need help
  • To continue growing the amount of 2nd and 3rd party deals they make
  • To continue betting to grow in big and fastest growing markets where consoles aren't a big thing (China, India, Korea, LATAM, Africa...)
  • To continue growing their 1st party pipeline. If they now work in more than 25 games at the same time (more than ever before), then to more than 35 games at the same time.
Nintendo and MS would be now out of the home consoles market. But Nintendo would be still competing with their portable. So their next goal would be to each Nintendo market share, while at the same time aiming to be a top 10 publisher in PC and mobile (now they're around top 20 publisher in both).

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Subscriptions are NOT WORTH going all in, putting PS Plus on more devices would only put pressure on them to add games to the catalog more frequently to grow subscribers, it's a very dangerous path and it's stagnant even for MS with day one releases and publisher acquisitions, we saw Horizon Forbidden West going from 150M predicted revenue in the second year to 38M after being added to PS Plus after 1 year, it simply doesn't match their AAA 300M dollar budget vision, look at GOW Ragnarok, it is still selling very well in its second year, if they were to put it on Plus after 1 year they would kill the sales, the game would take years and years to achieve 20 million copies sold (currently it has 15 million)
PS can bring PS+ to PC & Mobile just not offer games instead PS+ becomes more multiplayer focus giving users who’s subscribed “free” cosmetic for all PS studios live service this would be handed out every 3 months that way if PC & mobile players want free cosmetic or other basic bonus benefits for me laying PS live service they can subscribe to PS+ it would be similar to fortnite crew but for all PS live service & not just 1 game

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Def avoid getting in trouble 😬. But, always enjoy seeing your comments always very informative with the little you dare to share from behind the scenes.
It’s alright nobody believes me! What I say rarely get the attention of anyone!

Yes! I've heard he's big on Multiplayer and glad he recognized their failing in that department. PS4 era was the era to go all in on Multiplayer.

How do I get Hermen to get a competent multiplayer focused studio to remaster and refine Uncharted 3 Multiplayer renamed into Uncharted Online... 😁

Hopefully the dormant IP's coming back start being ones from the PS3 and PS2 eras eventually... just saying
Problem is studio’s are afraid to touch IPs. Also some years ago Sony brought the IPs from the Amiga system…. They released one game out of that.

PS. Let’s pray for Motorstorm and the tomorrow children.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Playstation consoles might still get decent competition in the PC space, if Microsoft does the right thing and focuses on creating an Xbox Mode (frontend+features) for windows.

However since Microsoft is apparently still sticking with Phil Spencer I fear they're just going to push even harder on GamePass and Cloud gaming because they have absolutely no capability of coming up with something of their own and all they can do is throw money to the latest trend.

And if that's the case then yes, Sony will maximize profits by releasing subpar hardware while increasing the price. Their future consoles' hardware will simply be similar in value to gaming PCs because people will still buy a Playstation if they're not versed in windows settings + installations + drivers + game configs + etc.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
because there are long term implications in making all their games be avaliable on another platform, not right now cause they have like 10 - 15 games on PC, but eventually when everything will be avaliable there, people will start realizing they don't need a PlayStation to play most games, it's not something positive for the brand, it's only going to grow Steam as a platform and give them the control to take 30% cuts on Sony, instead of Sony taking 30% cuts on their console across all third partys, it simply doesn't match everything PlayStation has been doing for the last 30 years and for literal pennies, their games are being HEAVLY pirated on PC, just like all singleplayer "one and done" games, the right thing, should be to make the live service games be avaliable on PC day and date and lock all singleplayer games to sell hardware like they've always d

because there are long term implications in making all their games be avaliable on another platform, not right now cause they have like 10 - 15 games on PC, but eventually when everything will be avaliable there, people will start realizing they don't need a PlayStation to play most games, it's not something positive for the brand, it's only going to grow Steam as a platform and give them the control to take 30% cuts on Sony, instead of Sony taking 30% cuts on their console across all third partys, it simply doesn't match everything PlayStation has been doing for the last 30 years and for literal pennies, their games are being HEAVLY pirated on PC, just like all singleplayer "one and done" games, the right thing, should be to make the live service games be avaliable on PC day and date and lock all singleplayer games to sell hardware like they've always done
With Sony games on pc they can reach any device that can access steam. Ps is also expanding in the ox hardware business because it is a hardware company, having games on pc allows it to advertised its hardware products and the most important reason is multiplayer games on pc have the potential to bring in a to. Of revenue. Helldivers2 is in the top ten best selling games on pc right now. Consoles will never have the same global reach as pc they need a presence on pc. U will never turn some pc gamers in to console gamers keeping games off pc will never incentivize those ppl to get a ps. Games have been going to pc 3 yrs now r ps he and software sales collapsing? No! Nothing single player is going to pc day 1 and there’s is no benefit to putting service games only on ps. PS has a middle of the road strategy while Xbox and Nintendo are the opposite ends of extremes. PS strategy is working as is there is no benefit to following irrelevant trash ass Nintendo or Xbox.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
With Sony games on pc they can reach any device that can access steam. Ps is also expanding in the ox hardware business because it is a hardware company, having games on pc allows it to advertised its hardware products and the most important reason is multiplayer games on pc have the potential to bring in a to. Of revenue. Helldivers2 is in the top ten best selling games on pc right now. Consoles will never have the same global reach as pc they need a presence on pc. U will never turn some pc gamers in to console gamers keeping games off pc will never incentivize those ppl to get a ps. Games have been going to pc 3 yrs now r ps he and software sales collapsing? No! Nothing single player is going to pc day 1 and theirs is no benefit to putting service games only on ps. PS has a middle of the road strategy while Xbox and Nintendo are the opposite ends of extremes. PS strategy is working as is there is no benefit to following irrelevant trash ass Nintendo or Xbox.
You’re very wrong