Sony acquires Amber Japan, entering the Crypto exchange space

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Anything but a notable gaming studios or ip 💀😭

Didn’t Sony patent something revolving betting/gambling & tournament. They’ve also acquired repeat.gg which I can see a future where Sony builds a esport platform w EVO where you can make bet w $ currency or crypto aswell as tying into PS console.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
It's always some bullshit, non-gaming, thing isn't it? FFS it actually got worse, we used to say it's always mobile/PC/GaaS and now it's rarely even a gaming genre thing that gets bought.

I think I'm selling my PS5 and Portal, and going ROG full time. Maybe even pickup a PS4 for the older PS games I do want to keep around for the nostalgia. But Sony are just fucking lost at this point.

Reactions: Dabaus

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
It's always some bullshit, non-gaming, thing isn't it? FFS it actually got worse, we used to say it's always mobile/PC/GaaS and now it's rarely even a gaming genre thing that gets bought.

I think I'm selling my PS5 and Portal, and going ROG full time. Maybe even pickup a PS4 for the older PS games I do want to keep around for the nostalgia. But Sony are just fucking lost at this point.
I would just wait for Switch 2 or Steamdeck 2. If you don’t have FOMO which is honestly not that hard for PS since they barely release 1st party games per year & by the time they do release 1st party games previous exclusive PS 1st party games hit PC anyways taking away any FOMO for all PS exclusive

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sony will buy anything but a game developer at this point.
They’ll buy a studio who have prestiges dev but those devs end up having horrible characters design/bad concept artist (concord) honestly I would’ve taken a new Twisted Metal even if it was live service then concord but who knows maybe concord end up surprising people at launch but I don’t have my hopes

What other studio did they buy & we need to see what kinda of game there making? Firesprite, Neon Koi I can’t think of anyone else. They acquired housemorque & we already know what kind of game they make (hopefully they continue to make fun arcade shooters). At the very least with Sony owning EVO they should buy a fighting studio & arc system work is just sitting there. I wouldn’t be shock if Saudis, Tencent/Netease or someone unknown ended up acquiring arc system work it’s pretty clear that they have talent giving DBZ fighters & GG strive

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
A new low for Sony. This is something Square Enix leadership would approve (and that is not a good thing).

The mention of patents for NFTs makes it even worse.

LOL, you think they care?
People needs to realize that is Sony.
Nothing said is related to PlayStation at least for now.
Keep that same energy whenever MS does something and not Xbox.

I'm still waiting for the moment you guys will disapprove anything Sony or PlayStation do.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They’ll buy a studio who have prestiges dev but those devs end up having horrible characters design/bad concept artist (concord) honestly I would’ve taken a new Twisted Metal even if it was live service then concord but who knows maybe concord end up surprising people at launch but I don’t have my hopes

What other studio did they buy & we need to see what kinda of game there making? Firesprite, Neon Koi I can’t think of anyone else. They acquired housemorque & we already know what kind of game they make (hopefully they continue to make fun arcade shooters). At the very least with Sony owning EVO they should buy a fighting studio & arc system work is just sitting there. I wouldn’t be shock if Saudis, Tencent/Netease or someone unknown ended up acquiring arc system work it’s pretty clear that they have talent giving DBZ fighters & GG strive
At this point I hope Sony doesn't buy anything and just continues in their current self-destructive path, if they don't care about PlayStation as a console so be it, open the way for better companies to dominate that space.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
8vkfim.jpg

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Paramount is the craziest acquisition to make. 💀 WB is in a similar position as Paramount. WB is slightly more but actually have a ton of ip that cross through media, parks, gaming, anime, toys/merchandise etc. Imagine PS having a lockdown on DC, Wizarding World, Looney Tunes, Games of Thrones, Ben 10, Tom & Jerry etc all owned by WB itself & I can keep going.

DC alone if handle correctly would give Sony & PS immense power in the entertainment industry

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I'd be ok with Sony not making a gaming purchase for a decade. I don't see why studio ownership matter to us.

Reactions: Zzero

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'd be ok with Sony not making a gaming purchase for a decade. I don't see why studio ownership matter to us.

You're dealing with rabid fanboys who see everything through the lense of a console war. You know this because it has nothing to do with the games they get to play, but rather they somehow get more enjoyment if others can't play.

Microsoft bought studios so Sony needs to buy studios.

That being said, I still think they'll invest in SIE within this mid range plan.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
You're dealing with rabid fanboys who see everything through the lense of a console war. You know this because it has nothing to do with the games they get to play, but rather they somehow get more enjoyment if others can't play.

Microsoft bought studios so Sony needs to buy studios.

That being said, I still think they'll invest in SIE within this mid range plan.
Yeah bro I'm just so over the whole exclusive mumbo jumbo. People around these parks sip too much marketing Kool-Aid, acquisitions change nothing because odds are you were playing those games anyway. The only thing that makes "exclusives" good is when a platform holder is throwing extra money at the team to deliver quality.

Good luck to everyone who wants Sony to keep up with a $3 trillion company's M&A :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Anything but a notable gaming studios or ip 💀😭

Didn’t Sony patent something revolving betting/gambling & tournament. They’ve also acquired repeat.gg which I can see a future where Sony builds a esport platform w EVO where you can make bet w $ currency or crypto aswell as tying into PS console.
Jesus christ u guys need to give it a rest. Sony doesn't need to focus on buying any more studios right now they need to focus on their core studios and putting stuff out. They doubled the size of SIE this gen alrdy. Xbox and embracer has shown what happens with unrestrained buying. Buying shouldn't be a priority. They don't need to buy studios and ip to get exclusives. Also ps isn't the only part of sonys business its a diverse company not just a gaming business.

• brain
Reactions: 2spooky5me and voke