Sony Acquires Beyond Sports

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Sony has acquired Beyond Sports, an AI-based data analysis and visualization company that specializes in fan engagement. As a result of the deal, Sony is reconstructing its sports business organization with the Netherlands-based Beyond Sports joining Sony-owned optical tracking provider Hawk-Eye and digital media platform Pulselive under its sports business umbrella.

"Beyond Sports has its roots in immersive worlds and can create compelling 3D figures in AR and VR but is not limited to those mediums. Its depictions can be viewed on smartphones or websites or infused into digital worlds like, for example, Roblox or a game on Sony PlayStation."

Last edited:

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Sony has made some very interesting purchases of late. Some not directly related to gaming, but also poised to be able to contribute to it's gaming franchises. Right Stuf, Pixomondo and even Beyond Sports can contribute to their gaming division. Then there's Zee Entertainment and Industrial Media pending. With Sony's focus on more MP games, some E-sports games, their partnership with Fifa, Street fighter's Capcom Pro Cup and many local weekly PSN tourneys, GT online etc..., they are buying the right companies to build on the expansion of their franchises and gaming division.

Hell, Gaikai was pretty instrumental to the improvements to PSN's frontend and backend and with the push to expanding their games into other forms of media like Tv shows and movies, Zee Entertainment and Industrial Media can definitely help with that too......

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I am not sure if I'm getting it. But I think this isn't related to videogames at all and instead it's to put AR stuff on top of sports tv shows. So more related to their business regarding cameras and tv stuff than to videogames.

Basically, this tech detects from a real-time sports match the 3d position of every player and their position in the field, so can build a 3D version so can show different camera angles, make 3d skins to replace players and the field etc.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
So many of these are "Who?!" I take it this chips away at the m&a money on hand?

What happened to that PS Legacy team that got set up, why aren't they re-lisencing roms for PStore sale, PS+++ tier BC, as free monthly games, as preorder bonus for newer games from IP etc.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So many of these are "Who?!" I take it this chips away at the m&a money on hand?

What happened to that PS Legacy team that got set up, why aren't they re-lisencing roms for PStore sale, PS+++ tier BC, as free monthly games, as preorder bonus for newer games from IP etc.

I think its a Sony move not specifically for PS.
But totally agree on the re licences for PS1/PS2/PSP games

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This acquisition has nothing to do with videogames, it's from another division

Totally unrelated to what is posted in this thread.

But yes, they made a team and have been hiring to improve emulation and create new emulators (maybe for PC and mobile, or newer versions of the ones they already have), meaning they are working on this and that more emulated games will be released on PS Plus premium and the PSN store.

Reactions: Hezekiah
24 Jun 2022
Seems like a cool growth area. Don't see much in the way of it adapting to games though

It might be something for the virtual collectibles part of the PS Rewards program.

Maybe also something like fantasy sports games?

I am not sure if I'm getting it. But I think this isn't related to videogames at all and instead it's to put AR stuff on top of sports tv shows. So more related to their business regarding cameras and tv stuff than to videogames.

Basically, this tech detects from a real-time sports match the 3d position of every player and their position in the field, so can build a 3D version so can show different camera angles, make 3d skins to replace players and the field etc.

Yeah this could be pretty big for things like fantasy sports leagues or integrating features of that stuff into this. It could make fantasy sports gaming more immersive for the player, mapping their fantasy league stats and plays against actual players in real-time with selectable camera angles, maybe even allowing players to alter some stats in real-time.

It could have some interesting use-cases with stuff like that.

Reactions: TubzGaming

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It might be something for the virtual collectibles part of the PS Rewards program.

Maybe also something like fantasy sports games?

Yeah this could be pretty big for things like fantasy sports leagues or integrating features of that stuff into this. It could make fantasy sports gaming more immersive for the player, mapping their fantasy league stats and plays against actual players in real-time with selectable camera angles, maybe even allowing players to alter some stats in real-time.

It could have some interesting use-cases with stuff like that.
I researched a bit and this is not for gaming at all. This is for the real time tv sports matches, to detect the 3D position of everything and draw stuff on top of them in 3D using AR, change the camera or stuff like that. Notice the news says it's to complement Hawk-Eye and PulseLive, google what they are.

24 Jun 2022
I researched a bit and this is not for gaming at all. This is for the real time tv sports matches, to detect the 3D position of everything and draw stuff on top of them in 3D using AR, change the camera or stuff like that. Notice the news says it's to complement Hawk-Eye and PulseLive, google what they are.

Yeah, for gaming like console, PC or mobile gaming, I figured as such it's not for that. But it could still lead to something for more interactive fantasy sports league things, springboarding off usage of mapping position trackers of players and actions to a 3D space via things like AR and providing different camera perspectives.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
But yes, they made a team and have been hiring to improve emulation and create new emulators (maybe for PC and mobile, or newer versions of the ones they already have), meaning they are working on this and that more emulated games will be released on PS Plus premium and the PSN store.
Maan... You seem to know what you're talking about, but it sounds so optimistic. I don't necessarily trust Sony not to bumblefuck it all up, or never capitalise in the end.

In all seriousness, can't they just hire from the emulation/hacking scene, a la Sonic Mania? It'd help them along in both BC and PC areas.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Maan... You seem to know what you're talking about, but it sounds so optimistic. I don't necessarily trust Sony not to bumblefuck it all up, or never capitalise in the end.

In all seriousness, can't they just hire from the emulation/hacking scene, a la Sonic Mania? It'd help them along in both BC and PC areas.
Well, what I know is that they published job offers to improve and make new emulators. Whoever they hire obviously will have related working experience.