Sony are making a Destiny game for mobile, where there is no interest and no audience, yet no Destiny 3 in sight for console.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
But that's the exactly wrong angle to see it. You don't need to have AAA console games on mobile.

You need mobile games on mobile and AAA console games on consoles.

If you have a likeable IP, you will find audience on both platforms with completely different experiences.
I don't mind Destiny being on mobile but wtf are Bungie developing it? Total waist of resources. Sony should contract a mobile dev to make the game not thier AAA studio. This is like saying Naughty Dog are developing a mobil Uncharted. Herman Hulst would probably get death threats if they announced such a thing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How it this bad news? It's bad when they port to PC so they should use mobile to grow. They do just that and it's bad?

Especially since it isn't Bungie doing it.
For them everything that Sony that isn't PS only non-GaaS SP games (running natively, not via cloud) or new console hardware is bad news and cause of supposed future doom and gloom.

They can't understand that the money they can get from AAA SP games and with console is finite and not enough to keep funding the ever growing costs of AAA SP games. So that to keep doing these games in the long term they must expand to new areas to get more money from more sources.

Example: this quarter Concord threw maybe over $100M to the garbage bin. But last quarter alone they did $228M with their first party games outside PS, more than doubling what they did the same quarter of the previous year. So it helps to be safer with that fail.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Muddasar

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
I don't mind Destiny being on mobile but wtf are Bungie developing it? Total waist of resources. Sony should contract a mobile dev to make the game not thier AAA studio. This is like saying Naughty Dog are developing a mobil Uncharted. Herman Hulst would probably get death threats if they announced such a thing.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Sony continue to make bad calls, denying the Destiny audience a full sequel and yet funding a mobile version for an audience on mobile that doesn't exist.

Netease had a deal in place before sony bought bungie! Netea see gave Bungie a 100mil in 2019 it was news at the time and ppl figure it might be mobile related. This isn't a sony bad call this is Bungie having to live up to its contractual obligations.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Been in development for 5 years. Posted this yesterday.

It’s possible it may get revealed… tomorrow

• Surprised
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Netease had a deal in place before sony bought bungie! Netea see gave Bungie a 100mil in 2019 it was news at the time and ppl figure it might be mobile related. This isn't a sony bad call this is Bungie having to live up to its contractual obligations.
I see, well....as long as it doesn't interfere with mainline development.

They definitely need to get to D3 as a priority though.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: CrackmanNL
24 Jun 2022
Yeah I don't necessarily see the issue here. It's analogous to what Nintendo did with their mobile offerings i.e new installments based on established IP but not actual ports of their console games outright.

We have to accept that some degree of multiplatform is going to exist for SIE going forward. So if it's between PC and mobile, if it means the console retains more genuine exclusives and there's less bleed-over/crossover of audiences and resources, I'd prefer them focus on expanding into mobile.

A brief aside but with the Concord news, a lot of people hoping this will end the GAAS stuff need to be careful what they ask for. If PC is still in any part involved in SIE's multiplatform plans, and all the GAAS ends...what other games do they have left to bring to PC Day 1? Exactly, the traditional games. The Spidermans, GOWs, Horizons, Tsushimas etc. And I don't think that's necessarily a smart move for SIE, either.

Balance is always best. They need some GAAS, but they don't have to always be ports. This Destiny Mobile game could be a good fit for the mobile market, meanwhile it's not a bad strategy to have something like Destiny 3 be a PS & PC Day 1 type of release. My thing is that, SIE shouldn't force putting ALL their GAAS on other platforms; keep a couple to the console as incentive to drive people to it. Valve do this with their own GAAS when it comes to storefronts, and it seems to work just fine for them.

As for traditional games, the rare remake of some 10-year old game, sure that's fine as a Day 1 on PC, and maybe smaller games like LEGO Horizon. I've said this before; even the occasional LEGO Horizon going on Switch makes sense in isolation. SIE's big problem this gen is that they have basically created an environment where almost all of their big AAA traditional games are timed exclusive to console since so damn many have been ported to Steam on a regular cadence just in the first 3-4 years of this console gen alone. And unless plans on that front have changed, we know more are coming via the Nvidia leak.

They have gotten overzealous with the porting strategy of non-GAAS titles to PC when the real solution should be obvious: keep most of the AAA exclusive to console for the gen, keep many of the AA exclusive to the console for multiple years, some of the AA either late-port or launch Day 1 across any mix PC/mobile/Nintendo/Xbox (which will probably just be a PC itself in some years).

Have a more liberal approach with remakes (some AAA & AA remakes Day 1 on PC, fewer AA remakes Day 1 on Nintendo, even fewer Day 1 on Xbox, others later ports (1-3 years depending on game) to non-PS platforms, some stay exclusive to PS for the gen), even more liberal approach with remasters of old games (most multiplatform, most Day 1 at least on PS, mobile & PC, some Day 1 on PS/PC/mobile/Nintendo/Xbox). Any remaster or remake going to other platforms should tie in to a new AA or AAA traditional game coming exclusively to PS consoles within 1-2 years, preferably same IP or same studio but doesn't have to strictly be so.

If SIE implemented something like this it'd make a multiplatform strategy way more sensible while still clearly prioritizing their own console as paramount in that strategy.

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Been in development for 5 years. Probably developed along with the Diablo Immortal team. Bungie is involved with development or has been over the years.

Grubb says it’s hero based and corroborated its existence. I saw a tweet that teased “good news” for Wednesday from a content creator. Could be completely unrelated… or could be a reveal and release.

I’m still betting on top-down Diablo clone because it’s not expected to be a port. Or it could be a D1 remake! Lols

There are only more plans for Destiny 2 and not a sequel based on everything Bungie has said. (There are some leaks about future plans)

The current plan is an engine update because it will be the same as Marathon’s. This most likely means another gut of the game.

Gaas are meant to transition thru generations. Even “dead” or after its conclusion — Helldivers doesn’t compete and First Descandant’s run is over. Games like NMS, Sea of Thieves and F76 are nowhere near it.

It should also be noted that Fortnite has evolved to something way beyond a service and is now a platform itself.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Heck it could be a Mobile and PC release similar to Diablo Immortal.
Should be mobile & PC atleast it would promote PS portal but ig Sony doesn’t care. Also a mobile & PC release but no PS version would be a slap in the face kinda hoping it’s PS & mobile after the success of hoyoverse mobile game w simultaneous release w mobile & PS Sony better make this mobile game also playable on PS. There’s literally no reason other then not extracting value out of your 4 billion acquisition

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Good point. It could be playable on more platforms more than just mobile.

Remember yesterday’s rumor about a PlayStation ip appearing on new platforms? A mobile Destiny game for Switch, phones and consoles could be just that.

I’d rather new ips than spin offs but leveraging the brand for mobile is kinda a non-thing for hardcore fans.

I wouldn’t just want a pocket hero version of Destiny. If it’s a Diablo clone tho — that plays like helldivers 1 for instance …. has a ton of potential.

Hopefully it is being revealed today