Sony CEO on Gaming Subs”People usually play 1 game at a time, ...may not be so valuable compared with video stream

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That was so obvious all along. MS push for Gamepass came out of people that really don't relate to how people play games.

Something like gamepass only works for players that play a lot of games and that aren't picky about what he plays. That will usually translate to broke guys that don't work and have too much time to waste.

That how we end up seeing guys grinding reward points for hours just to avoid paying the $15 of the service they claim is so pro-consumer. MS was pretty much pre-selecting the worst costumers in the world and the end result is the absolutely mental Xbox community.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That was so obvious all along. MS push for Gamepass came out of people that really don't relate to how people play games.

Something like gamepass only works for players that play a lot of games and that aren't picky about what he plays.
I have tons of games at home, some still wrapped you think I have time to play GP games? In reality I rarely play the free plus games and only reason I'm subbed to highest tier is because I wanted all the perks and streaming.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I have tons of games at home, some still wrapped you think I have time to play GP games? I'm reality I rarely play the free plus games and only reason I'm subbed to highest tier is because I wanted all the perks and streaming.
I've had PS+ Extra all along and I only played a few games, the games I buy consume a lot of time. Not to mention that things not always line up, there are games I want to play that are in there but by the time I get to them they get removed.

If the objective was to save the maximum money, the optimum strategy would not be Gamepass or PS+ but buying used games and then reselling.

So many of these dude bragging they got to play Forza or Starfield for free have been paying for Gamepass since 2017 and the output of quality games there has been awful. Legit idiots.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I've had PS+ Extra all along and I only played a few games, the games I buy consume a lot of time. Not to mention that things not always line up, there are games I want to play that are in there but by the time I get to them they get removed.

If the objective was to save the maximum money, the optimum strategy would not be Gamepass or PS+ but buying used games and then reselling.
Exactly.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Something else, video streaming services are beyond annoying. I still have to have some sort of cable for sports anyway, content is spread over countless streaming options, Netflix is trying to crackdown on password sharing.

If not for the fact that I get access to so many of these streams trough my family anyway I would pay monthly for one at a time and go to the movies in the rare occasion where a intresting movie is coming out.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

The option of reselling is going away pretty soon 🥳.

For the rest that was pretty obvious, you can't binge play through the final fantasy games in a weekend (I think, never tried).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The option of reselling is going away pretty soon 🥳.

For the rest that was pretty obvious, you can't binge play through the final fantasy games in a weekend (I think, never tried).
FFXV was one of those few games I played from PS+, took me weeks.

PS+ extra probably ends up being a decent deal mostly because of the online paywall on consoles, the discounts they give away and the fact they can share with family members or even a buddy of yours.

If the option of physical games is ever removed from PlayStation I'm just going to go all-in on PC. I'm way more comfortable building my digital library on Steam over PlayStation (the only digital games I have on PlayStation are games that I got on deep sales for like $5 each).

I had RDR2 on disc for PlayStation, limited to 30fps, sub 4K there, sold it, got it on PC for a fraction of the price got to play at 60fps with freesync making full use of my hardware. Without discs PlayStation gets outclassed by PC on a regular basis. PlayStation will be digging it's own grave if they abandon physical media on consoles, just like Xbox did.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
He is not wrong. That is why I don't sub to game pass that often. It's only worth it if there are several smaller games you can beat in a couple of months (like gears of war, halo campaigns, indies and other games)

But for GaaS or longer games it's not worth it beyond trying them for a while. For example: I played lies of P on game pass, loved the game and will buy it on steam once a complete edition with the DLC is released. But I am sure my save will be lost.

Can't imagine playing big RPGs like persona, FF, Bethesda or games like Yakuza on GP unless you are subbed for a year or more in advance

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The obvious.

I never understand the Xbots reasoning about that lol

Video streaming works better because video are 2 hours long max.
In single session you can watch like 4-5 different 30 minutes TV show episodes or 2 80 minutes movies.

Hell you can watch a movie per day in your break time.
But games needs addiction... several hours to finish a single one.... it take days, weeks and even months to finish them.

• Shake
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He is not wrong. That is why I don't sub to game pass that often. It's only worth it if there are several smaller games you can beat in a couple of months (like gears of war, halo campaigns, indies and other games)

But for GaaS or longer games it's not worth it beyond trying them for a while. For example: I played lies of P on game pass, loved the game and will buy it on steam once a complete edition with the DLC is released. But I am sure my save will be lost.

Can't imagine playing big RPGs like persona, FF, Bethesda or games like Yakuza on GP unless you are subbed for a year or more in advance
On PC without the requirement for constantly paying for online, Gamepass has zero appeal, at most a reasonable person will pay for a month instead of buying an specific game that would cost more every once in a while. That's why it will always be irrelevant outside Xbox.

Reactions: Shadow2027

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
On PC without the requirement for constantly paying for online, Gamepass has zero appeal, at most a reasonable person will pay for a month instead of buying an specific game that would cost more every once in a while. That's why it will always be irrelevant outside Xbox.

It can have some appeal but price has to be lower than the equivalent console subscription (gamepass for console) You can't buy say 3/6/12 months and get a discount either.

The hook was getting MS first party games on day one, but if those are broken at launch you have no incentive whatsoever.

• thinking_hard

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
He literally said
I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Something else, video streaming services are beyond annoying. I still have to have some sort of cable for sports anyway, content is spread over countless streaming options, Netflix is trying to crackdown on password sharing.

If not for the fact that I get access to so many of these streams trough my family anyway I would pay monthly for one at a time and go to the movies in the rare occasion where a intresting movie is coming out.
I have some app that seems to pull down from different subscriptions, I bung them a fiver a month to remove ads. That's enough really, TV shows aren't usually my first choice of leasure time. And it's still always a hodgepodge of episode/season removals.

Whatever happened to that media service thing that the corpo's were supposed to be going-in on, a shared digital movie ownership library between whichever media groups put their shows and movies into the bucket. It was called something stupidly mundane too, wish I could remember it properly. It wasn't VUDU, I'm sure the service name began with an M...

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Totally agree. You’ll end up “wasting” money on the subs as you’ll stick with what you play anyway.

Also, you’re far more likely to give a game a fair amount of time when you actually spend premium for it.

Service games also accomplish similar to what subs seek to with recurring revenue.

Then again… Sony is mostly doing everything right. PS5 console and game sales is all the proof you need.

Subs should be nothing more than a bargain bin service and where flops go to find life.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Also many gamers value ownership still.

Far more than online discourse would have you believe.

A great game is more like a great book than a film. You want it on your shelf.

There are a lot of factors. Number of games releasing on these subs doesn’t compare to subscription model for TV/Movies. Passive, one and done way movies/tv are consumed is not like games. No learning curve with passive entertainment. Just completely different relationships between audience - content.

Gamepass to me, and I’ve now been a subscriber for almost three months, has provided very little value because I’ve not spent meaningful time with any of the games on it. There’s a problem there because it’s a curated list, but with very little content drop so variety isn’t there. Sure I’ve tried a bunch of games for half an hour and then dropped them. The problem is that you run through the list pretty fucking quickly and suddenly there’s nothing else to try.

Also with Netflix for example, they might drop a show that maybe isn’t high budget but it’s still good enough to compel me to watch. And they drop what? Almost 400 shows a year? But gamepass it’s just budget game after budget game, “indie”, and the drop in production values is so massive it would be like what if Netflix started putting on shows that look like they were made by a dozen people and looked like they belonged on some YouTube channel?

It has neither the volume of content nor the quality of content that can be compared to these other subscription services.

Reactions: Box