Sony CEO on Gaming Subs”People usually play 1 game at a time, ...may not be so valuable compared with video stream

24 Jun 2022
By your logic, ps plus not getting any day 1 exclusives is even worse. At least you get 4 exclusives with gamepass, shit or not.

Foamstars literally comes out on PS+ Day 1 in a month.

And it has gotten Day 1 exclusives prior, e.g Stray and VF5: Ultimate Showdown.

Also it's like people suddenly forget sales exist, if buying a game Day is too much to ask financially.

Tom Warren calling out Jez.

It's worth repeating that Jez is f***ing terrible at this "job." lol

Even though Tom can be a shill himself a lot of the time, he's looked like a professional multiple occasions compared to the likes of Fake Jez and Paul Tassi. People like them should be ashamed to call themselves games journalists.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
By your logic, ps plus not getting any day 1 exclusives is even worse. At least you get 4 exclusives with gamepass, shit or not.
PS+ is what started day one exclusives on Subs services. We can go all the way back to PS4 launch day if you want a history course.

PlayStation simply isn't trying to race to the bottom by devaluing games sales of that and their partners in an attempt to tank the market.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
PS+ is what started day one exclusives on Subs services. We can go all the way back to PS4 launch day if you want a history course.

PlayStation simply isn't trying to race to the bottom by devaluing games sales of that and their partners in an attempt to tank the market.
They make to much money on first year sales, it would be a dumb idea to put those on day one sub. Microsoft had no choice since their sales were mediocre anyway and they were clawing to try anything to get them in the game it just happened not to work either. They are a failure in most gaming metrics! It's just a fact.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They make to much money on first year sales, it would be a dumb idea to put those on day one sub. Microsoft had no choice since their sales were mediocre anyway and they were clawing to try anything to get them in the game it just happened not to work either. They are a failure in most gaming metrics! It's just a fact.
Absolutely along with the fact they were trying to bait PlayStation into following so they can could watch the company bleed itself dry. Good thing Jim Ryan saw through it all.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Absolutely along with the fact they were trying to bait PlayStation into following so they can could watch the company bleed itself dry. Good thing Jim Ryan saw through it all.
I like there more dynamic approach. Don't put day one but leave conversation open for some hitters to be put on later on when sales have died down and or do a pc port. I'm not against PC ports but I'm against them day and date. If thy come later thts OK with me.

Reactions: Danja1187

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Tom Warren calling out Jez.

It's worth repeating that Jez is f***ing terrible at this "job." lol

He's right vs Jez, but the statement is far from a nothingburger. The CEO of Sony reiterating the policy of the last two Playstation CEOs confirms that Playstation will continue to expand the PC strategy with a mandate from the top.

The language of "ubiquitious" from Yoshida is the boldest characterization of the strategy to date. Prior Playstation CEOs Ryan and Layden talked about PC as a low risk, 2nd sales pop for games that already had their box office run. Catalog releases to a new audience 2 or 3 years from launch. Yoshida is talking about a future where gamers can play "wherever there is computing". So it really sounds like they want to expand their reach aggressively. PC is not a threat to Playstation. PC is a boon to Playstation. It's because Playstation has delivered the KO to Xbox that they are free to deliver their games outside of just the console.

Posters are underestimating the mobile emphasis too. I don't think videogame suit types are talking about Candy Crush. We're entering a situation where everyone is carrying more 3D horsepower than a Nintendo Switch. That means billions of people could be playing 'real' games portably. If iPhone 15 can play Death Stranding, it can probably play Horizon Zero Dawn too. There's a huge potenential for catalog sales like Spiderman and Last of Us in just a couple years of smartphone revisions. At least a few Playstation devs ought to consider how they can launch across PS, PC, and mobile at the same time, learning from the success of Warzone, Genshin Impact, Fortnite, etc.

None of this includes Playstation games coming to Xbox. It's not a big enough audience anyway.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
You just made all that up.

Sony has been saying expanding to PC for years now. Saying the same thing over and over. Maybe it just means exactly what they’re doing now. Nothing more.

Again, looking at the Insomniac leaks Sony doesn’t plan on doing day one releases at all.

The way they talk about this sounds like PR for shareholders.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm not playing random shit games for the sake or having them, I have only one life to live. It does not matter if they are brand new.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I like there more dynamic approach. Don't put day one but leave conversation open for some hitters to be put on later on when sales have died down and or do a pc port. I'm not against PC ports but I'm against them day and date. If thy come later thts OK with me.
I'm fully against PC getting PS5 exclusive single player games. Give them PS4 stuff and GaaS games. When the PS5 generation is winding down you can give them the PS5 single player scraps.

There's absolutely no reason why games like Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet, Miles, TLOU Remake are currently on PC.

They can throw out Horizon Forbidden West since they basically killed the game anyways on PS5. It will bomb on PC anyways

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm fully against PC getting PS5 exclusive single player games. Give them PS4 stuff and GaaS games. When the PS5 generation is winding down you can give them the PS5 single player scraps.

There's absolutely no reason why games like Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet, Miles, TLOU Remake are currently on PC.
In context there really isn't if they aren't selling much but a few have sold decent and brought revenue/profit to Sony.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
In context there really isn't if they aren't selling much but a few have sold decent and brought revenue/profit to Sony.
They all bombed or underperformed on PC. There's a reason why Days Gone, Horizon, God of War sold so well on PC because those games felt like a privilege to their ecosystem... Now it's like well I won't buy a PS5 I'll just wait.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They all bombed or underperformed on PC. There's a reason why Days Gone, Horizon, God of War sold so well on PC because those games felt like a privilege to their ecosystem... Now it's like well I won't buy a PS5 I'll just wait.
OH I know, I think only around 2 did decent numbers.Horizon Zero Dawn selling around 3 million isn't a bomb.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

They can throw out Horizon Forbidden West since they basically killed the game anyways on PS5. It will bomb on PC anyways

Herman Hulst:
"Bringing titles to PC for additional sales has helped. “It allows us to continue to invest–to invest even deeper into their projects.”

Reactions: Vertigo

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
OH I know, I think only around 2 did decent numbers.Horizon Zero Dawn selling around 3 million isn't a bomb.

Yeah I acknowledge the first releases did well because it was actually a big deal to finally have access to PlayStation games.

Then Sony opened the flood gates and ruined their own momentum because they got greedy

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Herman Hulst:
"Bringing titles to PC for additional sales has helped. “It allows us to continue to invest–to invest even deeper into their projects.”
We have seen the financial results lol... The profit they made from PC couldn't even fund Spiderman 2 🤣.

Hermen is a snakes oil sales man like Phil Spencer imagine trusting that hack job. He needs to be shipped back to Amsterdam

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah I acknowledge the first releases did well because it was actually a big deal to finally have access to PlayStation games.

Then Sony opened the flood gates and ruined their own momentum because they got greedy
I definitely understand both sides of the coin. If it was up to me none of their quality caliber ips like Tlou, Uncharted, GT, Spiderman, GOW, etc would ever be playable on any other device. You want to play our well crafted and big budget games well get a PlayStation!

I would however have a select amount/type of games like the GaaS ones tht I would allow to be put elsewhere.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Foamstars literally comes out on PS+ Day 1 in a month.

And it has gotten Day 1 exclusives prior, e.g Stray and VF5: Ultimate Showdown.

Also it's like people suddenly forget sales exist, if buying a game Day is too much to ask financially.

Even though Tom can be a shill himself a lot of the time, he's looked like a professional multiple occasions compared to the likes of Fake Jez and Paul Tassi. People like them should be ashamed to call themselves games journalists.
I mean you can tell Jez doesn't care since you know he's safe in his mom's basement.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I would argue it doesn't make sense for normies, particularly. The average person has what, 7 or 8 games per system? Thats not that much money, especially if they don't buy full price, day one. I just don't get the financial incentive for them.

Reactions: Gamernyc78