Sony chief bets on original content as part of ‘creation shift’

DewPoint

17 Jul 2022
Maybe bring back inFAMOUS, Killzone, Resistance, Jak & Daxter & Sly Cooper. Oh Andy’s consolidate aswell buy WB, Dragon Quest ip, Dead by Daylight ip + studio, level 5 to bring back classics PS JRPG, Arc system work to make a PS allstars 2 etc. In its history of PS there barely consolidated & they’ve missed out on great studios Sony should probable be more aggressive in buying studios w ip/already proven track record then studios w talent but no ip or proven track record
And what if none of the original studios want to work on their old IP again? PlayStation doesn't have any more studios that can work on decade old IP and not feel out of place.

31 Aug 2024
You guys aren't reading between the lines...

He's talking about going third party.

Microsoft-Sony-Kooperation-Yoshida-Nadella-640x336.jpg
Besides fanboys how many people would actually be upset if Sony started releasing some exclusives on Xbox and Switch?

31 Aug 2024
the shareholders as playstation's hardware sales absolutely crater.
Shareholders only care about profit they don't care about petty fanboys on the internet they are here to maximize profit same as Microsoft Apple Google and Tencet. Predator Hunting Grounds a Sony published game is coming to Xbox I wouldn't be surprised if more games come

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Besides dumb people, how many really think that giving people less reasons to buy into your ecosystem is a good idea?

When majority of revenue is from subscriptions and the 30% 3rd party cut on everything which is sold on your platform, you should make sure to not put that in danger.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Old Gamer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Shareholders only care about profit they don't care about petty fanboys on the internet they are here to maximize profit same as Microsoft Apple Google and Tencet. Predator Hunting Grounds a Sony published game is coming to Xbox I wouldn't be surprised if more games come
you have zero idea what you're talking about. Playstation first party games account for about 10% of total gaming revenue, sometimes as high as 16%, for SIE. The rest is all hardware and the 30% platform royalty they get from 3rd party games and microtransactions.

31 Aug 2024
you have zero idea what you're talking about. Playstation first party games account for about 10% of total gaming revenue, sometimes as high as 16%, for SIE. The rest is all hardware and the 30% platform royalty they get from 3rd party games and microtransactions.
Then why did the CEO of Sony say they want to expand more into PC/Cloud/Mobile

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
because he's a fucking idiot who doesn't care about the long term success of the platform, he wants quarterly earnings to show growth for the shareholders (who aren't fooled, one guy from iirc goldman-sachs even questioned their pc port strategy at the last earnings call), since the erosion of platform sales is going to be slow and insidious. I listen to mainly PC gaming podcasts and I've noticed a dramatic uptick of people who used to buy playstations as a companion console for exclusives now saying that they'll drop PS next gen because all their games (or enough that they dont care to get the console any more) are being ported over to PC. These are people who dgaf about console wars. You may think the average consumer is dumb but they're not. If you don't give them exclusive reasons to own your platform, they simply won't pay an extra $500 to buy it.

Reactions: Umar and arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Greed, stupidity and being shortsighted regarding PC.

Mobile is where they should concentrate on if they want to expand, as they wouldn't impact their main platform.

And with cloud they could make their games available on other platforms without the necessity of dedicated ports which again would impact their main platform, to make all the crybabies happy who don't want to buy a PlayStation.

31 Aug 2024
because he's a fucking idiot who doesn't care about the long term success of the platform, he wants quarterly earnings to show growth for the shareholders (who aren't fooled, one guy from iirc goldman-sachs even questioned their pc port strategy at the last earnings call), since the erosion of platform sales is going to be slow and insidious. I listen to mainly PC gaming podcasts and I've noticed a dramatic uptick of people who used to buy playstations as a companion console for exclusives now saying that they'll drop PS next gen because all their games (or enough that they dont care to get the console any more) are being ported over to PC. These are people who dgaf about console wars. You may think the average consumer is dumb but they're not. If you don't give them exclusive reasons to own your platform, they simply won't pay an extra $500 to buy it.
Greed, stupidity and being shortsighted regarding PC.

Mobile is where they should concentrate on if they want to expand, as they wouldn't impact their main platform.

And with cloud they could make their games available on other platforms without the necessity of dedicated ports which again would impact their main platform, to make all the crybabies happy who don't want to buy a PlayStation.
I'm guessing you two armchair business men know more about running a Business than the CEO of Sony

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I'm guessing you two armchair business men know more about running a Business than the CEO of Sony

I bet if a doctor tells you that jumping off a bridge is good for your health, you'll run off to the closest enthusiastically. A doctor would know, right?

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I'm a CEO myself. Much smaller business of course, but yes, in this case it seems I would do a better job than him.

I mean, CEOs have failed in the past, it's not like they are infallible. They also had all the data etc., yet they made wrong decisions along the way.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Concord was in development under Jim Ryan and now Jim Ryan is no more
Hermen is the CEO and has been for several months. He had the call to cancel or delay and didn't despite the entire market giving them feedback over a year that they weren't interested in the product.

31 Aug 2024
Hermen is the CEO and has been for several months. He had the call to cancel or delay and didn't despite the entire market giving them feedback over a year that they weren't interested in the product.
Concord wasn't that bad of a game it just came out at a time where we already have enough hero shooters I don't think delaying it would have helped

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Jim Ryan was also the one to push for PC and GaaS. You see, lots of bad decisions from a CEO.
wow, so CEOs aren't so infallible as to be immune to skepticism and criticism from lay people huh, who woulda thunk it

Concord wasn't that bad of a game it just came out at a time where we already have enough hero shooters I don't think delaying it would have helped
They should have been seeking a lot more feedback with open betas since its initial poor reception. There are plenty of games that turn it around after a weak start due to the dev team being open to players. And yes, the market is crowded right now - but if they had continuously improved the game and altered the character designs to be more appealing, there can always be things that happen that have people looking for a new game. For example Tarkov almost imploded due to stupid dev decisions recently; if Concord had been around as an extraction shooter at that time they would have picked up a significant amount of players from that (not saying that it should be an extraction shooter) - Overwatch 2 was very vulnerable because of the negative reception to the launch a while back and Concord missed that window of opportunity. Things can happen, but for some reason Sony is allergic to exposing their games to the public before release. I think they should embrace early access for their live service games because they clearly don't have their footing yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab