"Sony exec says it wants to be ‘the Nike of gaming gear’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony wants its new InZone line of gaming gear to be to eSports players what Nike is to professional athletes, an exec behind the initiative has said.

The PlayStation parent announced its InZone line last month. The line-up includes several monitors and headsets primarily aimed at hardcore PC players, but which can also be used for PS5 and other consoles.

Sony has already partnered with Riot Games to use InZone gear at its Valorant Champions Tour, as well as the Evo fighting game tournament.

Speaking in a new interview with Nikkei, executive deputy President Kazuo Kii claimed Sony’s background as a television company gave it an advantage in the PC market, where most monitors are created by PC manufacturers.

INZONE_MO_3HS_horizontal_whiteBG_landscape_2400x980-1024x512.jpg

Won't PC gaming hardware conflict with the PlayStation?

A: That's not going to happen. During the development of Inzone, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), which oversees the PlayStation, taught us a lot about gaming. Inzone's targets hardcore PC gamers, not PlayStation users.

There is also compatibility between the two sides. Seventy percent of PC gamers also play on the PlayStation or other consoles. There are cases where they play hard games on the PC and easy games on the PlayStation when they want to relax. SIE is not fixated on the PlayStation, either. We share the same view of the future. For the group to grow, we need to respond to a variety of things.

Thought this was interesting part I highlighted for @Bryank75

Let's see how this pans out, Im up for a new headset soon on PC.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They can do that if they focus in a single brand.

• Creates a PlayStation Ecosystem on PC and Mobile... launcher, store, etc
  • Created products based in the brand... PlayStation inZone Monitor, PlayStation inZone Headset, PlayStation inZone TV, etc.
  • Focus on features and integration exclusives to your Ecosystem between all platforms.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
lol, the inzone name is utterly terrible & as generic as it gets...

without the playstation branding these are never going to take off.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
They could've gone with the PlayStation or Sony brand but chose InZone... already shows massive poor judgment on their part.
Disagree. They clearly don't want this to be only a playstation brand that's why it has a separate name.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If you can't see failure written all over that InZone branding...... you're out of touch.

InZone sounds like an offbrand shoe / sneaker.

I really don't understand what fool is in charge of SIE that ignores that they almost have the entire home console market cornered and if they just made a few more critical publishers into 1st party, they would basically push MSFT out of the space.

Instead with their lack of focus, they have allowed somewhat of an Xbox resurgence, Nintendo to almost take over Japan completely and have their own fans wondering what the hell they are doing...

The PC peripheral market is overflowing with competition..... Razer, Logitech, SteelSeries, Asus, Dell, Samsung, LG.
Very thin margins to be made.

They are straight up moronic.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Disagree. They clearly don't want this to be only a playstation brand that's why it has a separate name.
It's the same mistake they made with Nextorage. I bet people would be more likely to buy a Sony or PlayStation SSD over a brand they probably never heard about.

The InZone brand makes even less sense because Sony has a great reputation when it comes to audio and video products.

OP
OP
Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PlayStation imply gaming. There are PlayStation games on PC and you can also use all their PlayStation controllers and headsets on PC.

You can use all the features of the Dual Sense on PC, thats new to me. I knew you could hook it up but didn't know the triggers/actuators, built in speaker, built in mic, and touch pad all work with steam?

If you decide to use the PS5 DualSense controller on a PC, bear in mind that the adaptive triggers won't be utilized when playing most PC games. That being said, Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition, one of the best PS5 features is now available on PC recently received an update that added full support for the DualSense controller's adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

In other good news, Steam received an update that allows you to customize the LED light on the DualSense controller. So, you can now enable and disable it, as well as only illuminating it when multiple controllers are connected. However, sound is an issue as the controller's audio jack isn't supported on a PC, but that's easy enough to get around. You can do so by plugging your headphones directly into your computer, or investing in a pair of the best wireless headphones.

If you've decided that learning how to use the PS5 DualSense controller on a PC is the path you want to take, the steps below will have you all set up in no time. We also have a handy guide for how to use the PS4 DualShock 4 controller on a PC, so if you'd prefer to opt for that, we've got you covered there too.

Reactions: Muddasar

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
You can use all the features of the Dual Sense on PC, thats new to me. I knew you could hook it up but didn't know the triggers/actuators, built in speaker, built in mic, and touch pad all work with steam?

That's up to devs to support it. Devs on PC are terrible at supporting this sort of stuff, half the time you don't even get the right controller prompts in games.

The audio jack works on PC, you just need to connect if over USB instead of BT.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
I am glad to see Sony's catering lately for the PCMR. Anyway, the branding sounds cheap and sloppy, I guess they got their marketing right, considering.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
If you can't see failure written all over that InZone branding...... you're out of touch.

InZone sounds like an offbrand shoe / sneaker.

I really don't understand what fool is in charge of SIE that ignores that they almost have the entire home console market cornered and if they just made a few more critical publishers into 1st party, they would basically push MSFT out of the space.

Instead with their lack of focus, they have allowed somewhat of an Xbox resurgence, Nintendo to almost take over Japan completely and have their own fans wondering what the hell they are doing...

The PC peripheral market is overflowing with competition..... Razer, Logitech, SteelSeries, Asus, Dell, Samsung, LG.
Very thin margins to be made.

They are straight up moronic.
Told everyone jim ryan is a fool

And your assesment are 100% correct here

• party
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's up to devs to support it. Devs on PC are terrible at supporting this sort of stuff, half the time you don't even get the right controller prompts in games.

The audio jack works on PC, you just need to connect if over USB instead of BT.

Thats not what that article suggests.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
They could've gone with the PlayStation or Sony brand but chose InZone... already shows massive poor judgment on their part.
Not really. They are literally Sony branded.

Sony Electronics uses Sony Bravia for TVs and now Sony INZONE for PC monitors.

Clearly didn’t want to use Bravia branding for PC gear to avoid brand confusion. They’re not TVs.

And they can’t use PlayStation branding for products outside of SIE. These aren’t PlayStation products.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
This is a good move by Sony. Sony gaming is growing beyond PlayStation and that’s a good thing.

Every gaming business is trying to diversify right now. It’s really easy to get snuffed out like Sega when you laser focus on one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.