Sony Explains the Advantage of Having a PS5 Over PC

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
He is right. Lower cost of entry, ease of use, good enough graphics for the money and getting the games earlier. That's more than enough for lots of people judging by PS5 sales.

There's nothing Sony can do to lure certain markets to their consoles so that's what the DELAYED PC ports are for. Can't believe it's been more than 3 and a half years since HZD PC was announced and we are still discussing the same.
Yea I can't see PC players dropping a decent chunk to play some games.

release there after 2-3 years wouldn't hurt I guess.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yea I can't see PC players dropping a decent chunk to play some games.

release there after 2-3 years wouldn't hurt I guess.

They need to buy CDPR and From soft and make more and more fully exclusive to PS consoles. Taking away meaningful games is the path towards further growth.

Teams like IOI and Remedy are good targets too.

There are relatively few companies making very high end games for console and PC, taking away a few from PC makes a huge difference.
Specifically CDPR and From would hurt PC gaming a lot and streaming culture / twitch.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I've always thought that PlayStation porting games to PC is only for political reasons. The western media hates their success and started making negative comments about their exclusives and now PlayStation is the bad guy whenever they have a none Sony owned IP as an exclusive see Final Fantasy 16 and now the media has found a reason to be racist and will disregard all the upcoming Korean made exclusives, its already started with Stellar Blade, they pretend the reason is political (protagonist has a big but) we all know that's a bs reason to hate the game.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
He is right. Lower cost of entry, ease of use, good enough graphics for the money and getting the games earlier. That's more than enough for lots of people judging by PS5 sales.

There's nothing Sony can do to lure certain markets to their consoles so that's what the DELAYED PC ports are for. Can't believe it's been more than 3 and a half years since HZD PC was announced and we are still discussing the same.
Yes and we'll continue to discuss it and you'll continue to complain about us discussing it 😂

Turning Natalie Portman GIF by foxhorror

• haha
Reactions: Diah and Umar

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
They need to buy CDPR and From soft and make more and more fully exclusive to PS consoles. Taking away meaningful games is the path towards further growth.

Teams like IOI and Remedy are good targets too.

There are relatively few companies making very high end games for console and PC, taking away a few from PC makes a huge difference.
Specifically CDPR and From would hurt PC gaming a lot and streaming culture / twitch.
I don't think forclosing IPs on pre-existing other platform is the right way, if anythinf you just losing money.

There is a certain company doing so, and it is pretty toxic tactics

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don't think forclosing IPs on pre-existing other platform is the right way, if anythinf you just losing money.

There is a certain company doing so, and it is pretty toxic tactics

It's not foreclosing in the case of From... it's just returning to the roots.

CDPR could just be ported a few years after.

Reactions: Diah

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It's not foreclosing in the case of From... it's just returning to the roots.

CDPR could just be ported a few years after.
Didn't Sony invest a chunk in From last year?

We could get a PS5 exclusive from them who know?

CDPR PS exclusive would certainly tank sale pretty damn hard since PC their main platform

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I prefer to waste may time playing games than dealing with PC setthings and issues.
Last year I was trying to play Lawn Mowing Simulator on my PC and I prefer using a controller because I've played console my entire life. Tried connecting the controller to the PC, but it wouldn't connect. Opened up settings to see what was going on, but the settings window wouldn't show up. It was in the task bar as if it were open, but when I'd click it, it was invisible. I spent like 3 hours trying to get the settings menu to open just so I could connect a controller, something that should've taken 2 minutes max. I wound up restoring from a backup, but then the PC got a blue screen of death. In my frustration, I just restored it to earlier that day and it still wouldn't open settings, so I left it. A couple months later it finally started working again. PC is trash in my opinion. Not once have I had so much trouble getting a controller connected to a console.

24 Jun 2022
They won't because they need and want the PC money plus also other non-PS money (movies, tv shows and mobile games using their SIE IPs) from countries where consoles are a tiny market compared to PC or mobile.

Or they could...hear me out...push the console in those markets to grow console (specifically PlayStation) presence in those markets? You know, the same thing they've done in every other market where consoles (again, specifically PlayStation) is very strong in?

By your logic, the PS1 should've never came out in Europe because microcomputers like the Amiga and Commodore ruled the roost over there, even during the 16-bit era. What you're suggesting is Sony take a defeatist approach to new markets, which would be the actual death of the brand.

You don't grow PlayStation optimally, while consoles are still clearly a viable destination for gaming, by feeding and enabling a direct competitor (PC/Steam), given the heavy player taste crossover between them and console (and, hell, a lot of Steam growth in the 2010s coming from console players (many of whom were PC prior) leaving for PC).

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not going to happen. There are simply more people that can buy their product than just pure Sony fans only.

Yeah, those 300k sales of last of us on PC gave Sony billions and billions. I'm sure it covers the constant babying that version needs.

And it's impressive that not announcing part 2 for PC doesn't ring any bells. You said it was being ported back in 2020 or 2021, and yet it's the one that doesn't get immediately announced.

Damn.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Or they could...hear me out...push the console in those markets to grow console (specifically PlayStation) presence in those markets? You know, the same thing they've done in every other market where consoles (again, specifically PlayStation) is very strong in?

By your logic, the PS1 should've never came out in Europe because microcomputers like the Amiga and Commodore ruled the roost over there, even during the 16-bit era. What you're suggesting is Sony take a defeatist approach to new markets, which would be the actual death of the brand.

You don't grow PlayStation optimally, while consoles are still clearly a viable destination for gaming, by feeding and enabling a direct competitor (PC/Steam), given the heavy player taste crossover between them and console
In addition to address these countries via PC+mobile gaming plus movies and tv shows, they also are pushing their console in those markets, and as a result PS5 is perfoming there way better than PS4 did in Asia and LATAM launch aligned.

As an example, in PS5 they more than doubled their numbers in China vs launch aligned PS4, moving from being their top 11 country in PS4 to top 6 country in PS5.

image.png

And they don't only grew PS 'optimally' in those markets, they did it worldwide. While also growing the SIE business outside PS (PC, etc).

P.S.: We had consoles in Europe -and even European consoles- since 1974, before we had microcomputers. But is true that they didn't become mainstream in Europe until the GB first and PS1 later. Until the PS1 days the main gaming business was arcades followed by microcomputers.

(and, hell, a lot of Steam growth in the 2010s coming from console players (many of whom were PC prior) leaving for PC).
During the early and specially second half of the 2000s, casual games from mobile gaming and PC browser games (Facebook games like Farmville, webs like King, etc) did grow a lot the gamer userbase. That growth did continue during the 2010s, when PC browser gaming market almost dissapeared and mobile until as of today continues being the main source of new players. Part of these new players some time later after being playing only on mobile or web browsers moved to console or premium pc games.

Efforts made by console makers to attract casual gamers with DS, Wii, Kinect etc. were made later that when the casual gaming boom started in mobile and browsers, once they realized that there was a huge market in browser games and phones growing and bringing to gaming many people that never played before.

There has been no visible migration from consoles to PC, consoles kept growing slowly independently of the bigger growth in PC and mobile.

image.png

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: The Icon

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
In addition to address these countries via PC+mobile gaming plus movies and tv shows, they also are pushing their console in those markets, and as a result PS5 is perfoming there way better than PS4 did in Asia and LATAM launch aligned.

As an example, in PS5 they more than doubled their numbers in China vs launch aligned PS4, moving from being their top 11 country in PS4 to top 6 country in PS5.

image.png

And they don't only grew PS 'optimally' in those markets, they did it worldwide. While also growing the SIE business outside PS (PC, etc).

P.S.: We had consoles in Europe -and even European consoles- since 1974, before we had microcomputers. But is true that they didn't become mainstream in Europe until the GB first and PS1 later. Until the PS1 days the main gaming business was arcades followed by microcomputers.

During the early and specially second half of the 2000s, casual games from mobile gaming and PC browser games (Facebook games like Farmville, webs like King, etc) did grow a lot the gamer userbase. That growth did continue during the 2010s, when PC browser gaming market almost dissapeared and mobile until as of today continues being the main source of new players. Part of these new players some time later after being playing only on mobile or web browsers moved to console or premium pc games.

Efforts made by console makers to attract casual gamers with DS, Wii, Kinect etc. were made later that when the casual gaming boom started in mobile and browsers, once they realized that there was a huge market in browser games and phones growing and bringing to gaming many people that never played before.

There has been no visible migration from consoles to PC, consoles kept growing slowly independently of the bigger growth in PC and mobile.

image.png
That info graphic is misleading as the Switch is classified as a home console instead of a handheld and is a major factor in driving the growth of console gaming.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Diah

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That info graphic is misleading as the Switch is classified as a home console instead of a handheld and is a major factor in driving the growth of console gaming.
It's only misleading if you don't know that PlayStation exists and if you don't know that as a hybrid Switch can be included both as portable or as home console.

This graph is from one of the gaming market analyst firms and is made for their customers, the top gaming publishers.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's only misleading if you don't know that PlayStation exists and if you don't know that as a hybrid Switch can be included both as portable or as home console.

This graph is from one of the gaming market analyst firms and is made for their customers, the top gaming publishers.
But it isn't included. Switch is not $0-3b/yr

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But it isn't included. Switch is not $0-3b/yr
It's counted in home consoles because it can be played in the tv. In portable consoles they only have portable consoles that can't be played in the tv.

They have been doing this graph during decades, and weren't going to add a 'hybrid' line only for Switch.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's counted in home consoles because it can be played in the tv. In portable consoles they only have portable consoles that can't be played in the tv.

They have been doing this graph during decades, and weren't going to add a 'hybrid' line only for Switch.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

The point is a traditionally handheld Nintendo console was included in the home console category which led to the growth of that category