Sony has found a way to stream games with less latency than a ps5 according to mark cerny

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Why would he say that to the CMA? Keep it a secret and get that patent so Microsoft pays you forever!!!!
Lol, I'm sure Cerny already submitted it if they don't have it already. They have so many cloud gaming patents from Gaikai and OnLive that they're well positioned to be market leader if streaming takes off. Also keep in mind Cerny was really impressed by Haven's cloud tech, which is one of the reasons they acquired them.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think that's actually nvidia. They have a lot of investment into predictive image generation so I could definitely see them working on a solution that basically used AI trained GPU resources to predict user input and generate frames and send them ahead of the actual game state predictively, like DLSS3. I think you'd still need like <50ms ping to server but I think it's feasible.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why would he say that to the CMA? Keep it a secret and get that patent so Microsoft pays you forever!!!!
Sony already patented several optimizations on this area, so MS already pays them for using them. Some of these latency improvements are related to using 5G antennas as let's say a 'cache'.

Most of the latency comes from lost packets needed to be sent again. Most of the times, these packets are lost very close to the player, so having these 'caches' very close to the player means that the time spent on asking to send again the lost packet first and receiving it is way faster gets highly reduced. So the latency gets highly reduced.

Basically applying edge computing adapted to cloud gaming but in 5G antennas.

And well, this is only one patent to reduce latency. I remember that in recent years they filled multiple ones.

I think the reasoning of mention that to CMA is to say: "hey, we have been building or success by innovating. These fuckers simply use all this technology and techniques we invented and pay us for using these patents, and spend their money on stealing part of our catalog instead of in R&D to innovate and improve their product"

The 'better latency than playing locally by using a better GPU in the server' quote may come from Nvidia, since in the case of Sony the GPU in the server is a normal GPU, while in the case of Nvidia their main point is to allow you to play in a potato PC games running in max settings on a top tier GPU stored in their servers. And well, to really be the case you must have a top tier internet connection, to live next to their servers and have a trully awful local GPU in your pc. I think the Twitter user simply made a -probably wrong- personal guess that it was Cerny/Sony.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I still would never use it.

But if they think it will become popular....
Their upcoming handheld tho
Kombucha No But GIF

D

Deleted member 417

Cerny using the power of the cloud to make PS5 more powerful would be

michael fassbender perfection GIF

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m still under the impression that cloud services wouldn’t just mean streaming games but could offload various game functions to the cloud.

It has huge potential if that’s the case and should be protected from handing all such infrastructure and services to Microsoft.

• brain

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I’m still under the impression that cloud services wouldn’t just mean streaming games but could offload various game functions to the cloud.

It has huge potential if that’s the case and should be protected from handing all such infrastructure and services to Microsoft.
This is essentially what the metaverse concept is built on. A megacorporation that owns all the hardware and software and leases out portions of it to its userbase and skims off the top on transactions inside. They basically want to become kingdoms unto themselves and be the kings.

• angry

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Haven Studios originally started as a cloud team with no office, Raymond told GamesIndustry.biz. Those six people were “working on new ways to work” via the cloud, but the studio has since hired more than 20 more engineers to “focus on long-term cloud innovation because we really believe it’s going to be a game-changer in terms of how games are made.” Instead of making a cloud game, the team is focusing on improving cloud technology for other game developers to use in the future.

One of the other features attracting the attention of fellow PlayStation Studios is how the studio operates. Haven has no IT in the studio because everything is automated in the cloud, and this has created some inspiration for those studios. Their “forward-thinking R&D” has also caught the attention of the PS4 and PS5’s lead system architect Mark Cerny, although Raymond wouldn’t elaborate on this too much at the moment.
I Dont Know Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
An online only game can heavily be assisted by cloud functions. Irrelevant data and images not needed to be stored on console and minimizing file sizes.

There’s so much potential that while I do not buy cloud game streaming at all whatsoever to think it offers no benefit is naive.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Is it better to have on-demand texture streaming on or off?

The main reason to utilize on-demand texture streaming is for the boosts it applies to the game's color palette. By enabling this feature, the game will pull from the internet to provide more color detail on surfaces. 17 Aug 2022
Since you're streaming textures instead of using some of the assets built into the game’s files, this new feature will save some precious hard drive space.

Reactions: Vertigo