Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount. |UP|Sony Makes $26 Billion All-Cash Offer for Paramount.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

We are getting Star Trek, TmNT and Sponge Bob

Season 2 Dancing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Spongebob must remain in american hands at all cost. Its a national treasure. hopefully its blocked.
They are getting WB next.

If FTC has an issue they will just point to MS with Activision-Blizzard-King-Bethesda or Disney Fox Marvel.

Let them compete 😁

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
They are getting WB next.

If FTC has an issue they will just point to MS with Activision-Blizzard-King-Bethesda or Disney Fox Marvel.

Let them compete 😁
They will never get WB lol. Sony hasn't bought anything yet and needs apollo help to try to buy Paramount.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
They will never get WB lol. Sony hasn't bought anything yet and needs apollo help to try to buy Paramount.
When are you going to get a goddamn Avatar ffs? You have been on the site for long enough now.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

• haha
Reactions: Infinity

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony Group Corp.'s shares slid the most in almost three months after its proposal to buy Paramount Global raised financing concerns.

Macquarie Capital's Damian Thong said in a note to investors. "We do not think buying Paramount makes sense."
While it's a joint offer, investors are worried about Sony's finances," given the deal size is larger than Sony's cash holdings, said Yugo Tsuboi, chief strategist at Daiwa Securities.
"Besides the impact of the acquisition on its cash position and debt, questions have risen regarding the CBS channel that comes with Paramount, which foreigners can't own, and given the political climate it seems that the deal will face major scrutiny," said Amir Anvarzadeh, a Singapore-based strategist at Asymmetric Advisors. "Unless they find a buyer for CBS the deal is unlikely to go through."

Say goodbye to investments in Playstation. I thought they were gonna give SIE more of the spotlight.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony Group Corp.'s shares slid the most in almost three months after its proposal to buy Paramount Global raised financing concerns.

Say goodbye to investments in Playstation. I thought they were gonna give SIE more of the spotlight.

It's a poor analysis.

It's clear to any onlooker that Apollo not Sony would own CBS. Sony can own up to 25% of it and will probably retain that 25% ownership.

They have no idea how much Sony is paying of the 26 billion or how much they're going to pay in cash vs financed.

The deal will probably face scrutiny, but look at the debt Paramount has. They likely can't afford to go it on their own. When you look at big tech buying up the media landscape or edging out the studios, it becomes pretty ridiculous to just focus on 4 or 5 film studios while ignoring Amazon (who now owns MGM), Apple, and Netflix.

As for why this makes sense for Sony, it allows them to be the biggest player in TV/Movies and leveraging their size to stay competitive across media markets.

I've brought this up many times, but buying Paramount Global would allow them to create a superservice like Amazon Prime and Apple One. Something that no media company can do today, which will allow greater competition with tech giants.

Paramount Plus combined with PlayStation Plus combined with Crunchyroll is already the beginning of a superservice. People lack imagination and Sony isn't going to reveal all their plans before this bid even goes through, but I think it would also position them to buy Tidal or another music streaming service and combine it to create a TV/Movie/Anime/Gaming/Music superservice.

Apple One costs 20 dollars per month or 26 for a family plan. It includes Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, iCloud+, Apple Fitness+ and Apple News+.

Amazon Prime includes free 2 day shipping, amazon prime video, amazon prime music, amazon prime gaming, free cloud storage for photos, GrubHub+, amazon's selection of free reading material. It costs 14.99 a month

Netflix costs between 6.99 and 22.99 a month

Disney plus costs between 9.99 and 24.99 a month

Sony could probably sell a Sony+ subscription with PS+, Paramount+, Crunchyroll, and Tidal for 30 dollars per month. Individually they are

Paramount+ ad tier - 5.99
Paramount+ no ad tier- 11.99
PS+ Essential - 9.99
PS+ Extra. - 14.99
PS+ Premium - 17.99
Crunchyroll Premium - 7.99
Tidal - 10.99

Should note Extra and above comes with Ubisoft+ which they can easily get rid of. Separately that costs 7.99 for the version that comes with PS+ I believe.

The range of these combined runs from 35 dollars to 48.99

As a common bundle and removing Ubisoft+ I think you could easily swapout Crunchyroll fo ubisoft in PS+ Extra for the same price: 14.99. You take Tidal, PS+ Extra, and Paramount no ad tier and give a 30% bundle discount and you get $26.58.

I think that is a pretty compelling bundle.

And obviously you can play around with it in terms of paramount with or without ads and PS Extra vs Premium.

Reactions: TigerFang

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
It's a poor analysis.

It's clear to any onlooker that Apollo not Sony would own CBS. Sony can own up to 25% of it and will probably retain that 25% ownership.

They have no idea how much Sony is paying of the 26 billion or how much they're going to pay in cash vs financed.

The deal will probably face scrutiny, but look at the debt Paramount has. They likely can't afford to go it on their own. When you look at big tech buying up the media landscape or edging out the studios, it becomes pretty ridiculous to just focus on 4 or 5 film studios while ignoring Amazon (who now owns MGM), Apple, and Netflix.

As for why this makes sense for Sony, it allows them to be the biggest player in TV/Movies and leveraging their size to stay competitive across media markets.

I've brought this up many times, but buying Paramount Global would allow them to create a superservice like Amazon Prime and Apple One. Something that no media company can do today, which will allow greater competition with tech giants.

Paramount Plus combined with PlayStation Plus combined with Crunchyroll is already the beginning of a superservice. People lack imagination and Sony isn't going to reveal all their plans before this bid even goes through, but I think it would also position them to buy Tidal or another music streaming service and combine it to create a TV/Movie/Anime/Gaming/Music superservice.

Apple One costs 20 dollars per month or 26 for a family plan. It includes Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, iCloud+, Apple Fitness+ and Apple News+.

Amazon Prime includes free 2 day shipping, amazon prime video, amazon prime music, amazon prime gaming, free cloud storage for photos, GrubHub+, amazon's selection of free reading material. It costs 14.99 a month

Netflix costs between 6.99 and 22.99 a month

Disney plus costs between 9.99 and 24.99 a month

Sony could probably sell a Sony+ subscription with PS+, Paramount+, Crunchyroll, and Tidal for 30 dollars per month. Individually they are

Paramount+ ad tier - 5.99
Paramount+ no ad tier- 11.99
PS+ Essential - 9.99
PS+ Extra. - 14.99
PS+ Premium - 17.99
Crunchyroll Premium - 7.99
Tidal - 10.99

Should note Extra and above comes with Ubisoft+ which they can easily get rid of. Separately that costs 7.99 for the version that comes with PS+ I believe.

The range of these combined runs from 35 dollars to 48.99

As a common bundle and removing Ubisoft+ I think you could easily swapout Crunchyroll fo ubisoft in PS+ Extra for the same price: 14.99. You take Tidal, PS+ Extra, and Paramount no ad tier and give a 30% bundle discount and you get $26.58.

I think that is a pretty compelling bundle.

And obviously you can play around with it in terms of paramount with or without ads and PS Extra vs Premium.
Do you think Sony should use some cash on hand to pay off some debt?

Since the Japan interest rate went positive from negetive 0.1% to positive 0 - 0.1%.

This is really minor but the BoJ will likely raise it further in the future.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Do you think Sony should use some cash on hand to pay off some debt?

Since the Japan interest rate went positive from negetive 0.1% to positive 0 - 0.1%.

This is really minor but the BoJ will likely raise it further in the future.

Their debt is manageable. They still need to grow as quickly as they can.

Wait woah, why is sonys market cap down 8 billion all of a sudden.

They're getting hammered on the Paramount bid.

It looks like their plan though is to sell off most of the non film studio and IP assets immediately including Paramount+ so that is probably how they plan on paying for it. Disappointing decision, but maybe necessary in the short term.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
More about prestige than potential in my opinion.

Since going to streaming, the movie business has been disappointing in terms of profits etc.

I think buying strong IP's in gaming etc is better.

Can you provide a breakdown of the strong IPs in gaming worth buying, how much it would cost to acquire them, and which of them have significant transmedia potential?

Thanks

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Since going to streaming, the movie business has been disappointing in terms of profits etc.
The problem with that is its not the movie /tv business as a whole as there have been a few really good movies / tv shows, the problem with film is they keep shoving movies and tv shows out that no one wants to watch or is interested in.
I had to cancel my Disney+ for this very fact the Sub i had was all included for a fixed price till this month, i get a email saying they are increasing the price for what i pay for and it has been renamed to Disney+ Premium Plan.
Disney+ Premium Plan = the same shit for the low low price of.. fuck off

Its all about making and owning content people want to play/watch and as Sony has almost always been entertainment first, this does make sense for Sony as a whole but does nothing for Gaming.. Unless they can use some of the IP they gain and make games with said IPs.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Can you provide a breakdown of the strong IPs in gaming worth buying, how much it would cost to acquire them, and which of them have significant transmedia potential?

Thanks

From Soft IP's... Elden Ring, Bloodborne and even Sekiro. All of which have amazing atmosphere and strong creativity but that needs to translate through the director of other projects. Cost would be high now due to Elden Ring blowing up.

Genshin Impact, Destiny. (I think Genshin would be unobtainable)

GOW, Ghost of Tsushima, Helldivers (even if it retreads some of Starship troopers, it has enough clout now)

I would have said many of Capcoms IP's but they have been attempted and didnt do too well. They highlight the risk with trans-media and that if you don't have a strong creative vision, it's not worth tarnishing the brand IMO.

Some games are significantly smaller but have a strong atmosphere. If I was to pick an indie style game...it would be something like Sifu.

I've limited myself here by excluding all IP's owned by Microsoft and Nintendo or anything that would be very difficult for Sony to get.

Hasbro is a target I think of quite often... they have some incredible IP's for gaming. 8.5 Billion mkt cap, so above 12 billion to buy in likelihood.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
From Soft IP's... Elden Ring, Bloodborne and even Sekiro. All of which have amazing atmosphere and strong creativity but that needs to translate through the director of other projects. Cost would be high now due to Elden Ring blowing up.

GOW, Ghost of Tsushima, Helldivers (even if it retreads some of Starship troopers, it has enough clout now)

I would have said many of Capcoms IP's but they have been attempted and didnt do too well. They highlight the risk with trans-media and that if you don't have a strong creative vision, it's not worth tarnishing the brand IMO.

Some games are significantly smaller but have a strong atmosphere. If I was to pick an indie style game...it would be something like Sifu.

I've limited myself here by excluding all IP's owned by Microsoft and Nintendo or anything that would be very difficult for Sony to get.

Hasbro is a target I think of quite often... they have some incredible IP's for gaming. 8.5 Billion mkt cap, so above 12 billion to buy in likelihood.

Half the IP you listed Sony already owns...

Buying FromSoftware wouldn't get you Sekiro. And there is no guarantee Elden Ring 2 sells half as much as the first game after casuals realized what kind of game it was.

The cost to buy FromSoftware would be in the billions. Is elden ring by itself worth that? Do you have GRR Martin's continued involvement which helped sell the game?

Nothing you mention shifts the needle at all for Sony...

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Capcom's Ips i think translate easy into films. I wouldnt consider the RE or monster hunter movies high art or anything, but i think a competent director with a good budget could do more with those than what has been done.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Half the IP you listed Sony already owns...

Buying FromSoftware wouldn't get you Sekiro. And there is no guarantee Elden Ring 2 sells half as much as the first game after casuals realized what kind of game it was.

The cost to buy FromSoftware would be in the billions. Is elden ring by itself worth that? Do you have GRR Martin's continued involvement which helped sell the game?

Nothing you mention shifts the needle at all for Sony...

Well I think Hasbro is the one that might make a difference but it's a huge buy and they could get the licenses.

But creativity always trumps just buying things... Nintendo proves that.

Thats why I champion keeping PS exclusives off other platforms unless they are live services. Nintendo model is the best.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
My bet is they ever consider to acquire a pub, it will be Square Enix. There is no other Japanese franchise than Final Fantasy who does Sony care more for.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
My bet is they ever consider to acquire a pub, it will be Square Enix. There is no other Japanese franchise than Final Fantasy who does Sony care more for.

I think fans have a greater attachment for Square Enix than Sony would or should, and specifically a vocal minority of fans.

I would buy a number of Japanese publishers before Square Enix and as my avatar suggests FF7 is my favorite game.

You don't pay big money just for nostalgia.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think fans have a greater attachment for Square Enix than Sony would or should, and specifically a vocal minority of fans.

I would buy a number of Japanese publishers before Square Enix and as my avatar suggests FF7 is my favorite game.

You don't pay big money just for nostalgia.
Well good for us, that you're not Sony. Just shared my opinion, and that's ultimately my stance. I don't believe that Sony will ever go after Bandai, Capcom or Sega.