Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount. |UP|Sony Makes $26 Billion All-Cash Offer for Paramount.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Agree PlayStation get’s sadly despite being the most profitable division, treated like a stepchild…Maybe Nishino can have an impact on the Sony leadership.
This whole video game thing is a fad, real money is made on everlasting businesses like movies and cameras.

$26B is an insane amount of money. Sony as a whole has a market cap of $100B and Sony pictures alone is bigger than Paramount.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
@Nhomnhom @Dabaus @Bryank75
Now for real you guys can be relieved.

Well, I wasn't too worried before but then I saw what state Paramount was in.... now I certainly am relieved.

I also think the Sony mobility crap should be shut down, electric cars from China are flooding the market and not selling very well anymore.

The Sony leadership seem so misguided, so focused on jumping on trends too late. Investors need to call this out.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Insane they even considered it TBH.
Yeah the Sony leadership is it out of touch. Kaz Hirai was the best Sony CEO overall in Sony history. He singlehandedly restructured a broken company in a successful one. Kaz was a visionary. He would have done the right decisions if we're still in charge today.
He would have acquired 100% Square Enix, Fromsoftware and maybe even Atlus. He resigned to early from Sony. 💔

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
@Nhomnhom @Dabaus @Bryank75
Now for real you guys can be relieved.
Now I need an explanation from our resident experts why Sony was able to afford a $26B proposal for an unprofitable decadent company but can't buy a company like SquareEnix for a fraction of the cost that even now still makes decent money.

All along the problem wasn't that Sony didn't have money, the problem is that they are too conservative and don't believe in their own PlayStation business enough to invest in it. With this attitude their game business is not going to do well in the long run, guaranteed.

If you look at what PlayStation Productions is doing compared to Sony Pictures, Sony should be embarrassed for even entertaining the idea of spending that money on Sony Pictures instead of PlayStation. The fact that Sony even considered this should be ground to get rid of this CEO and his henchman Hiroki Totoki.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Now I need an explanation for our resident experts why Sony was able to afford a $26B proposal for an unprofitable decadent company but can't buy a company like SquareEnix for a fraction of the cost that even now still makes decent money.
Ask Mibu no shit or Yurinka. They always have the right answers. 🤭

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Now I need an explanation from our resident experts why Sony was able to afford a $26B proposal for an unprofitable decadent company but can't buy a company like SquareEnix for a fraction of the cost that even now still makes decent money.

All along the problem wasn't that Sony didn't have money, the problem is that they are too conservative and don't believe in their own PlayStation business enough to invest in it. With this attitude their game business is not going to do well in the long run, guaranteed.

If you look at what PlayStation Productions is doing compared to Sony Pictures, Sony should be embarrassed for even entertaining the idea of spending that money on Sony Pictures instead of PlayStation. The fact that Sony even considered this should be ground to get rid of this CEO and his henchman Hiroki Totoki.
So much this! Imagine if sony owned a stake in say capcom and produced all of their gaming franchiesis into movies and shows. Id say that alone would be worth more than paramount in terms of whats actually relevant at the moment.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
CNBC report

KEY POINTS

- Paramount and Skydance have agreed to terms of a merger, CNBC’s David Faber reported Monday.

- A deal could be announced in the coming days.

- The agreement terms come after weeks of discussion and a recent competing offer from Apollo Global Management and Sony Pictures.

• Informative
Reactions: Bryank75

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

First, it wasn't going to be 26 billion from Sony.

Second, Paramount's true valuation is definitely more than 26 billion. A company's market value isn't always their worth.

Third, you guys can continue to put square enix on a pedestal, but they're not the company they were in the 90s and early 2000s. They just aren't and their IP doesn't have wide range either.

Sony's more profitable now than they've ever been. Maybe you should just realize that their decisions aren't in line with what you personally want and move on?

PlayStation Productions couldn't do what it is doing without Sony Pictures. Just focus on the gaming and leave the business alone, because you're not there with it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So much this! Imagine if sony owned a stake in say capcom and produced all of their gaming franchiesis into movies and shows. Id say that alone would be worth more than paramount in terms of whats actually relevant at the moment.
Most of the value from Paramount IPs seem to come from the fact Tom Cruise is still working with them. Personally I would much rather have Final Fantasy in the long run over any of their IPs.

Final Fantasy is the perfect gaming IP to be adapted to other media. Just like it happened to Fallout or TLoU it's only a matter of doing it right once and it would go mainstream.

Sony can't see the value on PlayStation, can't see the value on SquareEnix, can't see the value on exclusives, but they can see the value on Paramount...

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Most of the value from Paramount IPs seem to come from the fact Tom Cruise is still working with them. Personally I would much rather have Final Fantasy in the long run over any of their IPs.

Final Fantasy is the perfect gaming IP to be adapted to other media. Just like it happened to Fallout or TLoU it's only a matter of doing it right once and it would go mainstream.

Sony can't see the value on PlayStation, can't see the value on SquareEnix, can't see the value on exclusives, but they can see the value on Paramount...

It's very pertinent... Cruise is moving to Warner.

Then Hasbro own a lot of the stuff Paramount depend on too.

I understand that Paramount make huge revenue though, was it 30B?

Reactions: Luffy123

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's very pertinent... Cruise is moving to Warner.

Then Hasbro own a lot of the stuff Paramount depend on too.

I understand that Paramount make huge revenue though, was it 30B?
Why would anyone want to double down on the movie business right now? Specially with Paramount having so few great IPs and coming of of multiple quarters of operating losses? Everything about Paramount is bad, have you ever subscribed to Paramount+, easily the shittiest service out there and has no reason to even exist.

I really don't get, Sony Pictures is already shitty enough as it is and should focus on getting their shit together, specially when it comes to the low quality garbage they produce regularly. The only thing Sony Pictures did right in the last few year was reading the market right and not trying to launch their own garbage movie streaming service.

Morbius, Madame Web, Kraven the Hunter, how does the person that came up with this plan and the people that allowed it even have jobs? Venom movies were a equally bad idea but they seem to make money somehow.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Why would anyone want to double down on the movie business right now? Specially with Paramount having so few great IPs and coming of of multiple quarters of operating losses? Everything about Paramount is bad, have you ever subscribed to Paramount+, easily the shittiest service out there and has no reason to even exist.

I really don't get, Sony Pictures is already shitty enough as it is and should focus on getting their shit together, specially when it comes to the low quality garbage they produce regularly. The only thing Sony Pictures did right in the last few year was reading the market right and not trying to launch their own garbage movie streaming service.

Morbius, Madame Web, Kraven the Hunter, how does the person that came up with this plan and the people that allowed it even have jobs? Venom movies were a equally bad idea but they seem to make money somehow.

Paramount+ isn't even in my country, so I have no idea.

I think they would have sold off the streaming though... probably.

Reactions: Luffy123

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

You said it yourself. Morbius, Madame Web, and Kraven are bad ideas, but SOMEHOW Venom which was equally a bad idea made money...

The potential for Sony to make money with Spider-Man adjacent movies when Sony Pictures doesn't have a lot of legacy IP was a key opportunity for them, but it was never going to work the way they did it.

That being said Madame Web was the #1 movie on Netflix when it released.

Sony is trying to make franchise movies out of subpar IP so they can run their Netflix deal out. Once the deal expires, they'll release bigger Spider-Man movies.

Spider-Man 4 (Raimi + Maguire)
Amazing Spider-Man 3 (Garfield)
Spider-Gwen (Emma Stone)
Spider-Man Home Trilogy 2
Spider-Man Home Miles Morales

Sony is sitting on probably at least 5-6 billion dollars here, not including sequels to Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales live action and that's just in the next 10 years.

At the end of the day they don't care about making small bombs like Madame Web or Morbius. They have little to no impact on the company.

Morbius had a budget of 75-83 million dollars and it made 167 million at the box office. It came close to breaking even with the 2.5x budget formula.

Madame Web didn't have a huge marketing budget and it made back its initial budget.

None of those movies were massive failures.