Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount. |UP|Sony Makes $26 Billion All-Cash Offer for Paramount.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Already told you:

Read about Penguin/SS
Read about JetBlue/Spirit
Read about AA/JetBlue

Look at the examples you're giving. Everyone in this thread has been saying that the box office is dying, so clearly there isn't an anticompetitive motive in consolidation when it comes to the box office. Increasing prices won't help the box office survive. When it comes to streaming which is the bigger animal, there is plenty of competition and this wouldn't reduce competition at all since Sony does not have a streaming service of their own comparable to Paramount+. It also won't change the dynamic for cable carriers.

Gaming is nowhere near as concentrated as Hollywood.
The Judge for the MSFT case had a son working for MSFT.

Appeal courts have already heard the FTC appeal and we're waiting on a decision.

So a flimsy excuse. Got it.

Impossible? No.
Sports rights bidding are backed by ver ybig buyers, such as Apple or Amazon and soon to be Netflix.
Dominant? Yes.

Sound familiar?

Amazon and Apple aren't going to be able to outbid Disney/WB/Fox... A sports channel with the combination of the rights they already have access to, means that every sport HAS to be on it. If that's where people can get their sports, that's where they would have to go. The only way to break that would be collusion. Amazon, Apple, and Netflix would have to offer far more than they worth, and they're not going to do that either, and that will eventually drive the price of the sports leagues down too, because now the Sports cartel will have leverage. It's textbook antitrust, that you can't see that but someone complaining about Sony/Paramount is laughable.

Nonsense. Just complete nonsense

1Universal42$1,826,823,077169,464,10020.42%
2Walt Disney12$1,446,951,947134,225,59716.17%
3Warner Bros.31$1,412,786,409131,056,25315.79%
4Sony Pictures27$982,565,78991,147,10810.98%
5Paramount Pictures10$844,379,15078,328,3069.44%

5 companies control 70%+ of the market.

Do you see who the both 4 and 5 are? Together they barely add up to either 2 or 3 and that is with 37 movies and this is just box office...for one year.

4-5 companies controlling this much box office isn't a monopoly nor does it pose a antitrust problem.

Current FTC/DOJ would block any merger between major phone companies lol.
T-mobile/Spirit happened under Trump admin, Trumps DOJ and FCC approved both deals lol

You're just further proving my point.

Stop projecting Donald Trump's admin onto the current FTC/DOJ.

lol... they JUST let Warner and Discovery merge... which you're conveniently ignoring.

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony buying Paramount will be immediately blocked by the current FTC/DOJ.
If they approved the Disney/Fox one I think they would approve this one too.

Gaming is nowhere near as concentrated as Hollywood.
5 companies control 70%+ of the market.
Gaming made around $184B in 2023 according to Newzoo.
  • Sony made $27.44B (14.91% market share)
  • Tencent made $24,8B (13.48% market share)
I'm too lazy to include the next ones but would be MS (now including ABK), Apple, Netease, Google and EA, pretty likely all of them having over or around 10% each.

And these are the public ones, then there are private ones like Valve who definetively must be in that list too due to Steam. There's also under them Take2 or Nintendo who I think should have maybe around 8% each.

Maybe not with 5 companies, but maybe with a handful more they should take like 70%+ of the gaming market revenue.

Regarding the movies table and 70% of the movies market I assume is only counting USA and that there may be some Asian giants missing there who may also have an important chunk of the worldwide market.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If they approved the Disney/Fox one I think they would approve this one too.

Gaming made around $184B in 2023 according to Newzoo.
  • Sony made $27.44B (14.91% market share)
  • Tencent made $24,8B (13.48% market share)
I'm too lazy to include the next ones but would be MS (now including ABK), Apple, Netease, Google and EA, pretty likely all of them having over or around 10% each.

And these are the public ones, then there are private ones like Valve who definetively must be in that list too due to Steam. There's also under them Take2 or Nintendo who I think should have maybe around 8% each.

Maybe not with 5 companies, but maybe with a handful more they should take like 70%+ of the gaming market revenue.

Regarding the movies table and 70% of the movies market I assume is only counting USA and that there may be some Asian giants missing there who may also have an important chunk of the worldwide market.
Yurinka are you american? You seem to fundamentally misunderstand how the FTC and DOJ work when it comes to antitrust. There is no way in hell the Biden admin lets Sony move forward with an acquisition of this size.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yurinka are you american? You seem to fundamentally misunderstand how the FTC and DOJ work when it comes to antitrust. There is no way in hell the Biden admin lets Sony move forward with an acquisition of this size.
I am not American, but I know that they allowed similar acquisitions because there's no reason to stop them in a free market where that acquisition would result on a company having 20% of market share while several other ones have a similar market share, and such acquisition wouldn't cause any damage to the competition of the market and their customers.

And well, the Biden administration shouldn't affect in anything here. Specially when it's likely that in the upcoming elections will be replaced by Trump.

In case this acquisition would be agreed, it would take like a couple years to be completed. First to complete the negotiations to agree the deal and set their future strategy, and then to get the ok from all the regulators.

And well, in any case I think there's no real talks with Sony, as Paramount has exclusive talks with Skydance. Sony obviously should be interested on it, and obviously have people monitoring all the time potential acquisitions in all markets. So knowing they want to sell, maybe they simply made a first approach to ask about it and let them know that they could be interested on evaluating their case in the future once it's possible for Paramount to negotiate with someone else.

After that, if Skydance doesn't buy them, and Sony starts negotiating, they'd make a due diligence and Sony could find some red flag that would make them run away. Or maybe they could find the price isn't worth it for them, or Paramount may think they don't like Sony's plans for them etc. and could break negotiations.

I think the most likely scenario is that Skydance buys them before (or acquires at least a minority), and that if they start negotiations with Sony doesn't end in an agreement for a Sony acquisition. But if Paramount and Sony end agreeing an acquisition, any regulator (and even less the Biden administration) won't stop it.

• haha

enpleinjour

Icon Extra
24 Mar 2023
Look at the examples you're giving. Everyone in this thread has been saying that the box office is dying, so clearly there isn't an anticompetitive motive in consolidation when it comes to the box office. Increasing prices won't help the box office survive. When it comes to streaming which is the bigger animal, there is plenty of competition and this wouldn't reduce competition at all since Sony does not have a streaming service of their own comparable to Paramount+. It also won't change the dynamic for cable carriers.

I provided 3 clear current admin cases, where 4-5 firms control the majority of the US market, just like Hollywood, and trying to reduce that number to 4 or 3 were blocked by US courts.

Your response: feelings.

Amazon and Apple aren't going to be able to outbid Disney/WB/Fox

lol

4-5 companies controlling this much box office isn't a monopoly nor does it pose a antitrust problem.

Yes, you've made your misguided opinions clear. Too bad you don't get to decide that.

lol... they JUST let Warner and Discovery merge... which you're conveniently ignoring.

Discovery is not a major Hollywood studio.
Its time for you to stop wasting everyone's time pretending you know what you are talking about.

You don't. You're way out of your depth.

I'm too lazy to include the next ones

You're too lazy to do any kind of actual investigation which is why you are constantly proven wrong.
Sony's revenue includes 3rd P revenue, you need to subtract that.

Hollywood is a US market.
Paramount literally shows TV revenue being $20B of its entire revenue is their reports, yet you come with source? Did you not even think to check their public releases?

Screenshot-2024-04-23-at-19-58-24.png

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You're too lazy to do any kind of actual investigation which is why you are constantly proven wrong.
Bullshit. You wish it, but isn't the case. You mading up stuff and making a personal guess is not proving me wrong at all.

Sony's revenue includes 3rd P revenue, you need to subtract that.
Laughable bullshit already debunked in the Sony reports that talk about it. Won't repeat it again.

Hollywood is a US market.
Hollywood is a neighborhood in US, yes. But it is not the worlwide film/movie industry or market, which is what I was talking about / asking for: I was asking if these percentages were of the worldwide movies industry, or only its US revenue, or if the 100% was only counting revenue from the Hollywood companies only, as if the rest of the world wouldn't exist.

I mean, I assume most of the biggest movie industry companies are the ones from Hollywood, but there must be also be some big or mid sized players in Bollywood, China, Japan, Europe, the rest of America, etc.

So I was wondering what is the worldwide revenue of the -global, not Hollywood only- movies industry is, and what percentages of global market share they have.

I mean, I have a report isn't update, it's from two years ago and features this data:
image.png

image.png

As can be seen there, physical keeps decreasing every year, and theatrical obviously tanked with the covid. And well, 70% of movies revenue is made from pay tv, which combined with digital makes 92% of the market revenue for 2021. The document is like 70 pages long and features many rankings for movies and tv shows, but I'd bet it doesn't mention the revenue of the companies, and doesn't rank the companies per revenue/market share.

I'll try to get the updated version to see what happened after going back to normality after covid lockdowns.

Paramount literally shows TV revenue being $20B of its entire revenue is their reports, yet you come with source? Did you not even think to check their public releases?

Screenshot-2024-04-23-at-19-58-24.png
Nice, thanks. As I mentioned I was lazy to search it.

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Your first mistake is in assuming that Sony can't own ANY element of Paramount's TV business. Your entire premise reveals a complete lack of understanding and what's worse is the people who who give you a thumbs up like you actually said something.

Sony can't own CBS, that doesn't mean it can't have a stake in it nor does it mean it can't own other channels under the paramount banner.

Sony can own up to 20% of CBS the broadcast channel and these same restrictions don't apply for cable channels, only broadcast channels.

As for Sony buying a "Big 5". Disney was allowed to buy Fox, there is no way the FTC would prevent Sony (smaller than Disney) from buying Paramount (smaller than Fox).
When they realize that the rumored deal is join-venture and not only Sony…

Maybe to not have any issue with CBS puschase.

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
This thread doesn't get bumped to front page when gets new replies?
It's because got merged?

Edit: lol it does.
I was looking at the diferent page.
Ignore

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
This thread doesn't get bumped to front page when gets new replies?
It's because got merged?

Edit: lol it does.
I was looking at the diferent page.
Ignore
It's in a weird area.

Maybe they should change it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The things is tho, Activision was canned projects left and right just to continue COD and looking at the drop Vanguard had there was a real possibility of COD losing just enough relevance that it might not be able to recoup the budget on 800 plus people working on a yearly release for COD. Also I cant remember 100% but didnt diablo also fall a bit under expectations. I am not saying 100% Activision could of gone under but there was a chance they could of especially of the controversies kept getting more and more attention
Yeah, "Activision" was stagnant. Blizzard and especially King were cash factories. The company as a whole was in no danger, especially as the Cali case withered away into memory.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'd care a lot more on this place's opinions on the FTC if they didn't get the MS case so wrong. And thus, while I personally do not think that Sony will go ahead with the deal (too much money for too little long-term value), I do think that if theydecide to do it then there's little likelihood of FTC intervention and even less of that intervention surviving a MS-style court battle.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Update:

Amid the M&A drama enveloping Paramount Global, Bob Bakish is about to step down as CEO after eight years at the helm of Shari Redstone’s media empire.

At present, Paramount‘s board of directors is deep in exclusive acquisitions talks with Skydance Media and RedBird Capital. Another group, Sony Pictures and Apollo Global Management, is poised to field a formal all-cash offer for the company next week as the May 3 expiration date of the exclusive negotiating window with Skydance nears. As the Skydance talks have dragged on for months, it’s become clear that Skydance CEO David Ellison would take the helm of the enlarged Paramount-Skydance operation while RedBird senior executive Jeff Shell, formerly CEO of NBCUniversal and a longtime Comcast executive, would serve Ellison’s No. 2 overseeing day-to-day operations. There has been no pretense about carving out a role for Bakish.

A rep for Paramount Global declined to comment Saturday. The company is set to report its first quarter earnings on Monday. Bakish will not take part in the traditional conference call with analysts that accompanies quarterly earnings disclosures, CNBC reported.
Bakish was virtually assured of leaving his post as the company’s leader once the sale process is completed, no matter who acquires Paramount Global. The company has been through the wringer over the past year with a slumping stock price, successive quarters of weak earnings pulled down by losses in its streaming division. CNBC reported that Bakish’s exit was hastened by his opposition to the merger plan that is coming together with Skydance.

Source