Sony PlayStation Soaring Amid Industry Decline in Consumer Spend

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Note: This article is based on content from Variety Intelligence Platform’s special report “2023 Media & Tech Trend Tracker,” available exclusively to subscribers.

Sony Interactive Entertainment in February announced PlayStation Playmakers, a new initiative to partner with names like LeBron James on promoting the console brand.

For anyone else in gaming, this move would come across as a plea for consumers to spend at levels not seen since 2021.

But for Sony, it’s capping off a return to form.

Video gaming was marred by consistent year-over-year drops in consumer content spend, a trend that continued into January. But PlayStation 5 consoles recently overcame a shortage in semiconductor chips, which led to 7.1 million units shipped by Sony in the fourth quarter of 2022, a new record for PS5.

The end result? PlayStation resisted the content sales decline. The 2022 holiday quarter saw revenue from hardware sales more than double year over year, skyrocketing from just under $1.5 billion to more than $3.2 billion.

In turn, total software sales went up more than 30% for the quarter, with a nearly 20% increase in revenue observed for network services as well. Overall, revenue for Sony Group’s Game & Network Services segment increased 53% year-over-year from the 2021 holiday quarter.

The latest earnings season spelled trouble for those strictly in the software business. Top publishers are making cuts as a result, be it EA axing mobile versions of “Apex Legends” and “Battlefield” or Take-Two Interactive announcing layoffs as its publisher Rockstar hunkers down on getting the next “Grand Theft Auto” game out the door.

Activision Blizzard was spared the pain of the consumer spend dip, as October’s “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II” helped bring in record net bookings, though costs increased due to the company’s $35 million settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission following its handling of accusations of workplace misconduct.

Those “Call of Duty” sales are a major part of why Xbox owner Microsoft is adamant to cement its $69 billion deal to acquire Activision Blizzard. Combined with lucrative mobile revenue from publisher King, ownership of “Call of Duty” stands to put Xbox on equal footing with PlayStation when it comes to revenue, as Xbox currently sells about half as many systems as PlayStation does.

Microsoft itself has been cutting 10,000 jobs, including those at key teams under Xbox and sister publisher Bethesda. With first-party games at both units undergoing long development cycles and frequent release delays, it’s high time for Xbox to gain any kind of edge it can.

As much as Sony is fighting tooth and nail with global regulators to restrict the Activision Blizzard deal, the success of “The Last of Us” series on HBO has opened PlayStation up to an even wider audience that can experience the original game on PC at the end of March, due to Sony’s embrace of the PC market in recent years.

If PlayStation succeeds with its push into live services and mobile, it will underscore how critical it is for gaming companies to expand into multiple markets. But if the post-pandemic boom in content spend continues to prove unsustainable, the number of companies with the resources to do so is sure to keep shrinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Seems that PC ports, Gamepass and the MS acquisitions killed PS.
Pc ports did have a probability of decreasing the brand value of playstation, at least in the console space. But with the current situation on PC, and given how inaccessible the prices on hardware are, I don't think it's an issue.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pc ports did have a probability of decreasing the brand value of playstation, at least in the console space. But with the current situation on PC, and given how inaccessible the prices on hardware are, I don't think it's an issue.
Yes, they decreased the brand value of PlayStation in console. Probably this is the most recent quarter, the last one of 2022, was the record quarter for PS5 slaes. And also why now that chips shortage is over, PS5 sales are multiplying for 3, 5 or 6 year to year. Super decreased, sure.

Killed or will kill in the future? It seems they’re doing pretty good right now.
According to some people here they are supposed to be already doomed. Others will tell you to wait for the MS E3 or a year or two more until MS released their supposed games we have been waiting for years.

The realilty is PC ports, GP and MS acquisitions didn't negatively affect PS at all and PS continues dominating the console market, and now having got rid of the chips shortages PS will widen the distance, also because as part of the normal lifetime of every consoles Switch yearly sales will continue decreasing year after year as usual in aprox. the 2nd half of a console's lifetime.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes, they decreased the brand value of PlayStation in console. Probably this is the most recent quarter, the last one of 2022, was the record quarter for PS5 slaes. And also why now that chips shortage is over, PS5 sales are multiplying for 3, 5 or 6 year to year. Super decreased, sure.
Bro do you know what probability means?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

They also think that cause is always immediately followed by effect. For example, if MS acquires Activision and doesn't get 20 or 30% sales boost from it, then it means that that's never going to happen.

This would be expected if mom-and-pop shop acquired another mom-and-pop shop, but we're talking multi-billion dollar businesses with multi-year roadmaps. Cause won't immediately follow effect.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sorry, didn't wrote it properly. I wanted to write this:

"Yes, they decreased the brand value of PlayStation in console. Probably this, the most recent quarter, the last one of 2022, was the record quarter for PS5 sales."

I was being sarcastic because in fact that quarter was the record quarter for PS5, and looking at recent sales reports of the current quarter with crazy YoY increases due to the improvements in stock, seems we'll have another record quarter. I assume may even be the best Q4 in console sales for Sony. And seems that during this year PS5 will outsell PS4 launch aligned so will start even to get records not only for PS5, but also compared to any Sony console or any console ever.

Meaning that I think that doesn't make sense to complain about supposed brand value damage when they are instead breaking PS5 sales records, and that if PS5 wasn't selling more before was due to lack of stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sorry, didn't wrote it properly. I wanted to write this:

"Yes, they decreased the brand value of PlayStation in console. Probably this, the most recent quarter, the last one of 2022, was the record quarter for PS5 sales."

I was being sarcastic because in fact that quarter was the record quarter for PS5, and looking at recent sales reports of the current quarter with crazy YoY increases due to the improvements in stock, seems we'll have another record quarter. I assume may even be the best Q4 in console sales for Sony. And seems that during this year PS5 will outsell PS4 launch aligned so will start even to get records not only for PS5, but also compared to any Sony console or any console ever.

Meaning that I think that doesn't make sense to complain about supposed brand value damage when they are instead breaking PS5 sales records, and that if PS5 wasn't selling more before was due to lack of stock.
The average consumer doesnt gaf about games being ported to pc, so no, overall brand value was not tarnished. The fact is Sony is making all the right moves now (even putting a wrench in Microsoft acquisition of Activision).

I'm also happy to see Japan sales picking up now that there is stock, hopefully even with stock it continues to increase. Give them those anime games they crave and jrpgs and thy will do just fine.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The average consumer doesnt gaf about games being ported to pc, so no, overall brand value was not tarnished. The fact is Sony is making all the right moves now (even putting a wrench in Microsoft acquisition of Activision).

I'm also happy to see Japan sales picking up now that there is stock, hopefully even with stock it continues to increase. Give them those anime games they crave and jrpgs and thy will do just fine.
Yes, this is what I think: the average PS player doesn't care if a game gets released on PC specially years later.

Regarding Japan, I think that obviously PS5 wasn't selling more due to lack of stock (like in the rest of the world), not because of being doomed.

I assume that worldwide PS5 will continue having crazy sales during some months until that accumulated demand is matched and then PS5 sales will go down to the normal very good but not crazy numbers they had before shortage.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I think that the delayed PC releases is also the right way to go about it.

Obviously, if you really want these games on PC that doesn't work for you, which is exactly why they get released on PC later.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm starting to wonder if MS was to make CoD exclusive to Xbox... Would there be a chance that would make CoD irrelevant? Maybe even leave some air in the market for proper substitute?
I don't know about irrelevant (especially in America where Xbox still somehow manages to have sales parity/a slight lead) but its a virtual certainty that it would be less relevant. Its basically a guarantee that a multiplat game would rise up to replace it. You can't keep a genre's leader just to one system (unless you are Nintendo,) just as Halo couldn't dominate shooters from its X-clusive perch for long CoD would fall as well.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It is entirely possible, but not enough of a guarantee to just let it happen.
That is far from certain, I'd even say that is a far fetched idea.
I don't know about irrelevant (especially in America where Xbox still somehow manages to have sales parity/a slight lead) but its a virtual certainty that it would be less relevant. Its basically a guarantee that a multiplat game would rise up to replace it. You can't keep a genre's leader just to one system (unless you are Nintendo,) just as Halo couldn't dominate shooters from its X-clusive perch for long CoD would fall as well.
Xbox is behind in America, just not as much.

And I don't think that it's only Nintendo that has a lead in a given genre, we have seen Sony release top of the charts games again and again over the years. Halo would have carried the xbone much further if Halo 5 was a great game that pulled people back in (with a couple of other great exclusives everybody would have forgotten the launch).

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That is far from certain, I'd even say that is a far fetched idea.

Xbox is behind in America, just not as much.

And I don't think that it's only Nintendo that has a lead in a given genre, we have seen Sony release top of the charts games again and again over the years. Halo would have carried the xbone much further if Halo 5 was a great game that pulled people back in (with a couple of other great exclusives everybody would have forgotten the launch).
The gap in North America is widening at a crazy rate now that the shortages are over.