Sony PlayStation Soaring Amid Industry Decline in Consumer Spend

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The gap in North America is widening at a crazy rate now that the shortages are over.
I know, I still don't know what to do of that information... Weren't people to buy xboxes just to be sure they would get CoD in the future?

But what surprises me the most is that the gap is so large all of a sudden, especially in North America. We shall wait for a couple of months to see how it goes.

Imagine Ms bought that 70 billion company and it did next to nothing for them?

D

Deleted member 417

It wont without ABK games remaining on playstation. ABK need Sony more than they other way around. Sure it would be bad for both companies but ABK would come crawling back to Sony before Sony ever begged to have CoD back.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I know, I still don't know what to do of that information... Weren't people to buy xboxes just to be sure they would get CoD in the future?

But what surprises me the most is that the gap is so large all of a sudden, especially in North America. We shall wait for a couple of months to see how it goes.

The gap is consistent with last gen. Just because thy bought those companies ppl shouldn't have thought that magically that gap would lessen. Microsofts good faith vanished for most after the 360.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The gap is consistent with last gen. Just because thy bought those companies ppl shouldn't have thought that magically that gap would lessen. Microsofts good faith vanished for most after the 360.
The gap is consistent up to December of last year.

From January of 2023 to now, it’s a slaughter.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
And there are STILL some Xbots insisting there never really was a PS5 shortage!

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
And there are STILL some Xbots insisting there never really was a PS5 shortage!
To be fair I did not think that it made such a difference.

But there must be some kind of "my friend got it for half a million dollars + his first born from a scalper I can get one for 500$, what a deal!"

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
To be fair I did not think that it made such a difference.

But there must be some kind of "my friend got it for half a million dollars + his first born from a scalper I can get one for 500$, what a deal!"
There was a four-month span last year where the GameStop at my nearest mall did not receive a single, solitary PS5 system, and that mall is a destination mall.

They were getting a dozen or so a month in 2021.

There was a major shortage.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
And I don't think that it's only Nintendo that has a lead in a given genre, we have seen Sony release top of the charts games again and again over the years.
Which genre does Sony have the total sales leader in? Because Nintendo has platformers, kart racers, town builders, waggle/sport sims, party games and, if you count Pokemon as one, JRPGs.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Which genre does Sony have the total sales leader in? Because Nintendo has platformers, kart racers, town builders, waggle/sport sims, party games and, if you count Pokemon as one, JRPGs.
TPS "cinematic" games.

For Nintendo, I would grant you platformers and Pokemon... but the rest seems to be a stretch, I think Nintendo has "Nintendo" games, you get those as a kid or as an adult who like Nintendo games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
TPS "cinematic" games.

For Nintendo, I would grant you platformers and Pokemon... but the rest seems to be a stretch, I think Nintendo has "Nintendo" games, you get those as a kid or as an adult who like Nintendo games.
Switch Sports sold 10 million copies in a year in a niche genre. How is that not far and away the leader there? It dominates its genre. And Mario Kart is the second best selling game of the last generation (bearing in mind that Fortnite is free and thus not sold...,) how does it not dominate kart racers? If you don't think thats a real genre then it just dominates racing games period. Animal Crossing dominates town builders, Nintendo has like four different party game franchises that all crush the opposition.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Constant content delivered since launch will do that

Cross gen doesn't seem to have slowed any momentum either so it was probably the right call in the end

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Constant content delivered since launch will do that

Cross gen doesn't seem to have slowed any momentum either so it was probably the right call in the end
If Sony had gone PS5-only during the supply crisis, it would have damaged the brand irreparably.

The people advocating for that were being selfish and short-sighted, as PS4 owners stayed in the ecosystem and weren’t given a chance to feel abandoned or ripped off by being left without new games while being unable to update to the PS5 because of there being none to buy!

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Switch Sports sold 10 million copies in a year in a niche genre. How is that not far and away the leader there? It dominates its genre. And Mario Kart is the second best selling game of the last generation (bearing in mind that Fortnite is free and thus not sold...,) how does it not dominate kart racers? If you don't think thats a real genre then it just dominates racing games period. Animal Crossing dominates town builders, Nintendo has like four different party game franchises that all crush the opposition.
Yes, that's Nintendo, I didn't say that they were small.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
If Sony had gone PS5-only during the supply crisis, it would have damaged the brand irreparably.

The people advocating for that were being selfish and short-sighted, as PS4 owners stayed in the ecosystem and weren’t given a chance to feel abandoned or ripped off by being left without new games while being unable to update to the PS5 because of there being none to buy!
It wouldn't have hurt the brand but it would have slowed the software units sold. The thing is, a lot of casual gamers tend to think games like Ragnarok are PS5 exclusive or wait to get a PS5 to play it anyway

Now hardware units are moving big numbers just in time for the real next gen only exclusives to start ramping up