Sony Possibly Building New Studio Of Ex-Deviation Games Talent.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony could potentially be putting together a new internal studio of creatives that previously worked at Deviation Games.

The rumor has begun to circulate after Twitter user @Zuby_Tech noticed several related job description updates from former Deviation Games employees.

Fred Thompson appears to be “leading the design for an unannounced project”. Images of some of the key employee profiles are presented in a tweet from @Zuby_Tech, though it doesn’t reveal any project details.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
My theory is Sonys needs changed after the abk deal so they cancelled deviations game because it was too different from COD. Sony just rehired the team internally to make a cod clone and not go through the process of an acquisition. Cheaper that way and if Sony does have another acquisition up its sleeve they don’t want to worry about 2 at the same time.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
My theory is Sonys needs changed after the abk deal so they cancelled deviations game because it was too different from COD. Sony just rehired the team internally to make a cod clone and not go through the process of an acquisition. Cheaper that way and if Sony does have another acquisition up its sleeve they don’t want to worry about 2 at the same time.
If they did made a grounded military shooter I hope they use the SOCOM ip & since blundell has a history making one of the most recognizable 3rd mode w COD zombies maybe SOCOM can have a 3rd mode that’s PVE & is more wacky fantasy & make that a live service it’s gonna be interesting if blundell game is gonna be close to COD or completely different

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Wait, studio was struck with massive layoffs, right? I mean, around 90 people of 100 left the Deviation?

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wait, studio was struck with massive layoffs, right? I mean, around 90 people of 100 left the Deviation?
There are 92 Deviation employees listed in linkedin. There are like a dozen of two of them hired in recent months.

Seems some left to join that unknown SIE studio and other people were hired to replace them at Deviation.

Maybe what happened was that at some point the project needed more people/money when entering the main part of the production, instead putting money to grow the studio, Sony decided to create their own studio to put this extra people and moved some of the Deviation staff there plus in Deviation replaced the moved ones. Both Deviation and this new SIE studio would continue working in the game.

Another theory would be that initially the game looked promising to Sony until there was some creative differences between top people in Deviation and the ones who were betting on the original idea lost the battle and ended leaving. The new ide didn't end working well, so at some point Sony decided to soft reboot the project to go back to the original vision, hired the people who left plus some more in a new studio to continue the project going back to that original vision with maybe Deviation still working on it but maybe in a support role.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
If they did made a grounded military shooter I hope they use the SOCOM ip & since blundell has a history making one of the most recognizable 3rd mode w COD zombies maybe SOCOM can have a 3rd mode that’s PVE & is more wacky fantasy & make that a live service it’s gonna be interesting if blundell game is gonna be close to COD or completely different
No Socom is a dead IP. We need a new IP without baggage. As @Gods&Monsters said a boots of the ground riveting new IP would do well.

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
They should be buying studios not developing from ground up when they are already in dearth of content from their own first party shits gonna take time

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
They should be buying studios not developing from ground up when they are already in dearth of content from their own first party shits gonna take time
Very true

In an interview with CNET, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella revealed that Microsoft’s investment in previously established game studios is far easier than building massive companies from the ground up.

“You can’t wake up one day and say, ‘Let me build a game studio.”

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Or maybe around the time sony was shooting offers to Haven and Firewalk, Deviation declined a buy out and the people who didn’t agree just joined sony to start a new studio

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Theres no studios left to buy, and even when they buy good solid studios they cna still crash, just like Bungie.

Theres no large and successful independent shooter studios left. COD and the like have gotten so big and bloated it’s just easier to siphon talent from those studios, like they are doing with ubisoft Montreal.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Theres no studios left to buy, and even when they buy good solid studios they cna still crash, just like Bungie.

Theres no large and successful independent shooter studios left. COD and the like have gotten so big and bloated it’s just easier to siphon talent from those studios, like they are doing with ubisoft Montreal.
There are multiple studios in Poland start with a single player team and expand to multiplayer like astronauts

There's Crytek as well why people forget Crytek give them a chance they would be nice too

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Hmm?
There's People Can Fly, Certain Affinity, Digital Extremes, Facepunch, IO Interactive, CD Project, Remedy, Crytek, Bohemia Interactive, Techland, Teyon, Blue Manchu, Rebellion, Avalanche, etc, etc, etc.
I may be wrong but as I remember Techland is owned by Tencent, Certain Affinity (at least partially) and Digital Extremes are owned by Leyou (Chinese) and Avalanche by Nordisk Film.

But as you mention with the "etc, etc" there are more left, as could be Studio Wildcard (ARK) or Arrowhear or Deviation itself.

And well, Bungie didn't crash. One expansion of an old game underperformed compared to their estimates, that's all. Destiny 2 continues being successful and they have multiple projects more in the works. One of them got revealed and quickly got 20M youtube views, showing there's a huge interest on their next new thing.

Or maybe around the time sony was shooting offers to Haven and Firewalk, Deviation declined a buy out and the people who didn’t agree just joined sony to start a new studio
This is highly possible too.

The studio deviated so much they fell apart :rolleyes:
According to a Sony boss their 12 GaaS were alive, with some of them already published and a few delayed beyond their original March 2026 deadline. TLOU Online was cancelled some months later. Meaning, the Deviation game continues alive and hasn't been cancelled.

Some people left Deviation (apparently to join an unknown SIE studio), but inside Deviation they were replaced and seem to continue being 90-100 people.

I'd wait to see official news.

Last edited: