Sony Possibly Building New Studio Of Ex-Deviation Games Talent.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Both Deviation newhires and Firewalk should be moved into Bungie’s new giant HQ. They burned a lot of cash building it to begin with. Firewalk in particular as they are Bungie and BioWare/Bethesda veterans to begin with.

With insomniac leak… no better security than keeping development strictly at the office.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Both Deviation newhires and Firewalk should be moved into Bungie’s new giant HQ. They burned a lot of cash building it to begin with. Firewalk in particular as they are Bungie and BioWare/Bethesda veterans to begin with.

With insomniac leak… no better security than keeping development strictly at the office.
Bungie and Firewalk are in Bellevue, Washington. Since many Firewalk staff left or got fired from Bungie I'd say they may not want to share building with them and may prefer to have their own thing. Bungie bought a huge building because they have been -and will continue- growing a lot.

Deviation and the unknown SIE studio with the ex-Deviation staff are in LA, like SSM, Insomniac or ND. So maybe the unknown SIE studio is a new SSM/Insomniac/ND team.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Bungie and Firewalk are in Bellevue, Washington. Since many Firewalk staff left or got fired from Bungie I'd say they may not want to share building with them.

Deviation and the unknown SIE studio with the ex-Deviation staff are in LA, like SSM, Insomniac or ND. So maybe the unknown SIE studio is a new SSM/Insomniac/ND team.

So what if they “left.”

Josh Hamrick is the lead at firewalk usually spoken of when saying “veteran” talent. Hamrick would do contract work Bethesda etc… having come from Halo to work on Fallout to work at Bungie again. I doubt their contractors are used like this anymore with the Sony deal. I remember when he left Bungie this last time … it was def on good terms.

And it doesn’t matter. Sony now has a giant plant and property to fill as Bungie most likely cuts work from home jobs leveraging essential in-house talent.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They should be buying studios not developing from ground up when they are already in dearth of content from their own first party shits gonna take time

Creating is better unless you want the IP catalog the developer/Publisher possess.

Buying is more costly and more risky cause talent can leave.

As I said unless Sony wants to acquire IPs it is better to create your own studios.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Creating is better unless you want the IP catalog the developer/Publisher possess.

Buying is more costly and more risky cause talent can leave.

As I said unless Sony wants to acquire IPs it is better to create your own studios.
If they are creating a live service game it's far more riskier to build from ground up than to buy a studio with previous Pedigree

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
If they are creating a live service game it's far more riskier to build from ground up than to buy a studio with previous Pedigree

Irrelevant what genre it is.

The Bungie buy says the opposite. 3.6 billion spent. Their only live service game a mess and layoffs taking place.

No guarantee their future games will be a success.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
How's Perfect Dark going? Isn't the studio behind that an "unknown pedigree"?
The development was transferred to be handled by Crystal dynamics and the overseer is Initiative this is another example of how building a studio is difficult you just supported my argument

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Irrelevant what genre it is.

The Bungie buy says the opposite. 3.6 billion spent. Their only live service game a mess and layoffs taking place.

We know once marathon releases its going to be okay live service gaming community have mood swings depending upon the update the game recieves

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
The development was transferred to be handled by Crystal dynamics and the overseer is Initiative this is another example of how building a studio is difficult you just supported my argument
Naw. The development was handed to them because Drew Murray, Design Director of The Initiative, fucked off back to Insomniac Games.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Naw. The development was handed to them because Drew Murray, Design Director of The Initiative, fucked off back to Insomniac Games.
And what does that says to you ??
Nonetheless I thought this rumour was from someone who is credible this is nothing but something derived from looking at LinkedIn

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Unknown Pedigree with a studio track record of some kind we would atleast know what to expect
Some of the Deviation people, all other leads or senior people have similar CVs (mainly from CoD or Blizzard):
  • Dave Anthony (chief executive officer): CoD BO 1 & 2 director and writer, executive producer in other CoD games
  • Kriste Stull (chief HR & Operations officer) : SSM + Blizzarad
  • Louis Castle (senior VP of development): Westwood cofounder/COO+CFO, Command & Conquer series, Medal of Honor series, Blade Runner and a long career (produced Lion King for SNES)
  • CJ Connoy (Senior Producer): 11 years at Treyarch, producer of CoD WaW DLC, CoD BO 1,2,3,4, SIE, Sony Imagesoft
  • Geoffrey Sutyak (Producer): Blizzard, Vicarious Visions,
  • Richard Garcia (Associate Producer): 11 years at Treyarch
  • Tony Flame (Associate Game Director): 15 years at Treyarch: CoD WaW, CoD BO 1,2,3,4,Cold War
  • James Bonti (Associate Creative Director): senior producer of CoD, associate producer in Vivendi, EA, Acclaim
  • Dean Rymer (Design Director): inXile, Bioware, SSM
  • Mal Blackwell (Principal Level Design): EA, ID Software
  • Patrick Doane (CTO): CoD Warzone Mobile, WoW, Overwatch, NC Soft
  • Patrick Doane (chief technology officer): CoD MWII + multiple games of Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo series
  • Leon Hui (Technical Director): Skydance, Kojima Productions, SIE, MS, EA
  • Chirs Healy (Art Director): Battlefield 3, Bad Company, 4, 1, 5, Army of Two, Crysis 3
  • Alfie Feliciano (Associate Art Director): The Coalition, Ubisoft, Zipper
  • Jason Burton (Associate Art Director): Respawn, Rockstar, Blizzard
  • Stef Velzeboer (Lead Material Artist): The Coalition, Capcom, EA
  • Alec Hunstad (Senior Character Artist): SSM
  • JT White (Lead Weapons Artist): Bungie, Sledgehammer
You can find more in the studio's LinkedIn page and later checking in Moby Games the list of games of each people. This is now, after some people left to work at SIE. Haven and Firewalk are also basically dream teams of a lot of very experienced and talented people who worked in many AAA games including top shotters and GaaS games.

Their very old, soon to be discontinued game generates to Sony a few hundred millions per year. The teaser of their next game broke Youtube records. They created Halo or Destiny.

They already are a success and pretty likely their future games will continue being a success.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
lol “soon to be discontinued.”

You keep saying these bullshit lies like you’re not full of shit

🤣

Diablo 4 about to discontinued then right? Clowns

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
Studio design director of Treyarch also left this year. If he joins to PS too, I can say PS is building their own Respawn Entertainment. Deviation already top class talent now some of them moving to in-house. I think this strategy is better than acquiring ABK for 69 billion.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This highly talented artist is still at Treyarch, but did these amazing Ghostbusters characters 3D models (I assume that just as fanart in his free time):

zLqMV7KkNAiM.png

It doesn't mean he hired by/will join SIE, I just wanted to share this cool art.

Studio design director of Treyarch also left this year. If he joins to PS too, I can say PS is building their own Respawn Entertainment. Deviation already top class talent now some of them moving to in-house. I think this strategy is better than acquiring ABK for 69 billion.
After 18 years at Treyarch he has been working since August on a secret project/studio from LA. The other former Treyach/Deviation guys joined the unknown SIE studio June or July, so maybe when they started to set up the new SIE team (either in a new studio or inside Insomniac, ND or SSM) they not only got former Deviation staff, but also went to hire Treyarch staff who didn't work in Deviation:

x21HlRUqKN17.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
This highly talented artist is still at Treyarch, but did these amazing Ghostbusters characters 3D models (I assume that just as fanart in his free time):

zLqMV7KkNAiM.png

It doesn't mean he hired by/will join SIE, I just wanted to share this cool art.

After 18 years at Treyarch he has been working since August on a secret project/studio from LA. The other former Treyach/Deviation guys joined the unknown SIE studio June or July, so maybe when they started to set up the new SIE team (either in a new studio or inside Insomniac, ND or SSM) they not only got former Deviation staff, but also went to hire Treyarch staff who didn't work in Deviation:

x21HlRUqKN17.png
Yes, Microsoft have PI's running around after these guys, trying to see where they go to work and get a source on what they are making.