Sony President, CFO & COO Hiroki Totoki: "We will discuss and show our 3rd mid-range plan at the end of FY23, regarding acquisitions and mergers."

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I dunno man.

If I'm sony and I see the situation.

1. MS ABK acquisition.
2. PS First party delays/GaaS Issues.
3. Change in leadership at PlayStation
4. The headache that happens after an acquisition.

Rather than buying publishers or studios I would try to get GTAVI exclusivity. That move right there will be the fatal blow for Xbox Hardware.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I dunno man.

1. MS ABK acquisition.

Rather than buying publishers or studios I would try to get GTAVI exclusivity. That move right there will be the fatal blow for Xbox Hardware.
Boyy you guys are unrealistic with your solutions no one can afford gta exclusivity

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I dunno man.

1. MS ABK acquisition.

That would cost them over 2 billion the least... That would just be crazy.

It would absolutely bury Xbox but I don't think Take Two would take the risk given they have to deliver astronomical record revenue for the game.

And Sony definitely isn't gonna do that they are very conservative

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023

It would absolutely bury Xbox but I don't think Take Two would take the risk given they have to deliver astronomical record revenue for the game.

Is the game releasing on last gen ? Hopefully not

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I have no idea. I don't think they would honestly since they would definitely run into issues with GTA Online down the road. But they just might since it's been in development before the PS5 specs was finalized.

GTA V still immensely popular on PS4 so maybe they just might. I would hope not though.

Reactions: Playstation Sucka

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Boyy you guys are unrealistic with your solutions no one can afford gta exclusivity
Sony could get at least the marketing rights.

But is not unrealistic.

Why do you think sony makes third/second party deals? Not because they want them, but because they see gaps in their roadmap. And right now, the first party roadmap looks dry as fuck.

Now, you add the the ABK deal + the new games xbox has in development...Sony will be dumb if their rest in their laurels.

In other words; the amount of incentives/pressures sony has to be super aggressive are higher than ever.

Reactions: Puff

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

But is not unrealistic.

Why do you think sony makes third/second party deals? Not because they want them, but because they see gaps in their roadmap. And right now, the first party roadmap looks dry as fuck.

Now, you add the the ABK deal + the new games xbox has in development...Sony will be dumb if their rest in their laurels.

In other words; the amount of incentives/pressures sony has to be super aggressive are higher than ever.
This will exterminate Phil and green rats

Jim, Ryan if you doing this I gonna avatar you a whole year.

Calling you Sir Jim Ryan

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023

But is not unrealistic.

They can get the marketing rights yes that too is going to cost a pretty penny too it is the most anticipated game of this decade no other game can top it if sony can pull off what you are saying which is unlikely because of the cost

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
2B is exactly what I was thinking in a hypothetical scenario where Play Station realizes Xbox is about to bring the heat:

1.Xbox console sales skyrocketed thanks to Starfield.

2. Game Pass is looking like a serious threat to the traditional business model.
3. Xbox internal bullshit management is fixed = release cadences and quality are on point
of course, in reality Xbox situation is a mix-bag with serious trouble ahead post acquisitions and Xbox Hadware are in the gutter as well as the brand itself.

Take Two's CEO is not fan of Game Pass, Xbox lower install base, Xbox Series S potential dev troubles could be factors for Take Two to make some kind of exclusivity deal. Like MP access first on Play Station/exclusive content for example.

Sony is not really conservative but very strategic. Hogwarts Legacy had marketing rights and exclusive content and boosted PS5 sales in Europe. (I think sony has marketing rights for the suicide squad game as well)

Sony has Silent Hill 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, FFVII part 2 as high profile exclusives.

The above is an insane amout of proactiveness from sony to ensure maket leadership.

If Sony feels or sees the overall situation getting dangerous for them (not only from Xbox but other parties like Amazon, Apple and even Netflix)

getting GTA VI in some way or form would be imperative.

Reactions: Diah

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
They can get the marketing rights yes that too is going to cost a pretty penny too it is the most anticipated game of this decade no other game can top it if sony can pull off what you are saying which is unlikely because of the cost
yeah is unlikely, BUT it would be definitely less expensive than buying a publisher and even a AAA studio. With the benefits being immediately reflected without the troubles from regulators and post-merger reorganization

Reactions: Diah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I dunno man.

1. MS ABK acquisition.

I don't think exclusivity is on the table, maybe a beta/early access thing but nothing more than a week or so. But marketing rights definitely.

Reactions: ChorizoPicozo

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Regarding this, with the current FY23 ends their current 3 year long mid-range plan.

So yes, at the end of this FY23 they'll have to announce their next 3 year long mid-range plan.

I assume they'll detail there that in this period want to sell the 80% of their finantials/bank division to get cash and that they'll allocate a big percentage of it for acquisitions and investments.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Like many people I lost faith and I feel like it's too late. Sony are totally nonchalant.
Yeah same.
We heard about the we have billions to invest in Acquisitions, 10+ then turned to -10, then turned to 5, now its like 100-200 million…..

So Im not expecting nothing from them and Ill be surprised if we get some meaningful Game release announcements too.

They are happy with the sales and probably dont care

All the big targets people want...MS would be interested too. The industry really seem to prefer MS so if they had to choose between both I see them all siding with Microsoft.

Sony‘s best option is to invest in the big publishers, not buy them outright but at least a percentage so they won’t lose them to MS /Embrace in the future.

They are very slow to move, they should of bought FromSoft at least. What are they waiting for…

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah same.
We heard about the we have billions to invest in Acquisitions, 10+ then turned to -10, then turned to 5, now its like 100-200 million…..

So Im not expecting nothing from them and Ill be surprised if we get some meaningful Game release announcements too.

They are happy with the sales and probably dont care

Sony‘s best option is to invest in the big publishers, not buy them outright but at least a percentage so they won’t lose them to MS /Embrace in the future.

They are very slow to move, they should of bought FromSoft at least. What are they waiting for…
Those amounts turned into the smaller amounts because Sony used it to make acquisitions lmao

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Those amounts turned into the smaller amounts because Sony used it to make acquisitions lmao
I think I remember the 10+billion was after the Bungie deal.

So I wonder what they spent 10+ billion on? I thought it was for the gaming division.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd say it will be next gen only. Between console and PC there's enough installbase to achieve monster sales since year one even if they release it in 2024.

I think I remember the 10+billion was after the Bungie deal.

So I wonder what they spent 10+ billion on? I thought it was for the gaming division.
They spent most of it on multiple gaming and non-gaming acquisitions (Haven, Crunchyrool, EVO...) and later moved most of the remaining one away from this budget to buy instead servers for SIE and semiconductor components, leaving only $140-150M left for the current FY, when they bought Firewalk, Audeze and iSize. So there shouldn't be almost nothing left of that acquisitions+investments+stock repurchases budget for the 3 years period.

In April they'll start a new 3 years mid term period, so pretty likely they'll create another mid termm budget for acquisitions and investments for the April 2024 - March 2027 period. Sony said that due to market conditions (dollar vs yen exchange, geopolitical stuff, dollar apparently going to crash relatively soonish, maybe also scared with regulators being more aggresive than expected with the ABK acquisition) they want to be conservative with acquisitions, take their time to evaluate them more carefully and wait for the mid to long term, and that they'll need 2-3 years to sell 80% of their banks division, which will give them cash they'll use in acquisitions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I'd say it will be next gen only. Between console and PC there's enough installbase to achieve monster sales since year one even if they release it in 2024.
It better be that way the game will be played for a decade so hopefully Rockstar's gta 6 is not held back by 2013 hardware