Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Martin Tv Show GIF by Martin

• fire
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
24 Jun 2022
You could NOT be more wrong.

Without Windows being the standard OS for business, MS is dead. It is the centrepiece of their monopoly. It powers the cloud servers they want everyone to rent space on, it powers the Xbox, it brings them revenue from PC manufacturers, it traps users in their ecosystem.

Fair enough. I was just looking at it from the regular consumer space and the fact people can upgrade to W11 for basically free (my machine keeps urging me to do so regularly). They do have those lucrative contracts with OEMs, in addition to the businesses and cloud that are powered by it.

Sometimes Azure's rapid growth makes me think less of Windows but it's still critical to their corporate strategy for a litany of reasons.

Windows-OEM is a issue right now.
But enterprise and coorporative licences are still the core pillars..

Yeah, you're right. And Windows powers their enterprise & business licenses for sure.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Azure's rapid growth

They are also the only valid alternative to AWS. So businesses default to it if they can't/don't consider AWS (I know Google exists too, but I never heard anyone seriously taking it into consideration).

Specially in Europe, businesses having strict GDPR requirements (e.g. government entities or financial institutes) lean towards Azure because they usually accept any client conditions regarding to GDPR compliance, while AWS says "this is what we offer, take it or leave it".

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Not surprised that you don’t realize that most marketing is bullshit designed to reel in the gullible!
Idk, they released a handheld PC you can literally do anything with. Meanwhile sony, ms, and nintendo patch their systems to prevent you from doing anything.

You can even stream from your PS5 to it.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They are also the only valid alternative to AWS. So businesses default to it if they can't/don't consider AWS (I know Google exists too, but I never heard anyone seriously taking it into consideration).

Specially in Europe, businesses having strict GDPR requirements (e.g. government entities or financial institutes) lean towards Azure because they usually accept any client conditions regarding to GDPR compliance, while AWS says "this is what we offer, take it or leave it".
Businesses tend to avoid Google Cloud as their Terms of Service allow Google to read all your data if they want to.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
They have a massive backcatalog that everyone wants to be able to play and would work easily on a portable system... some already work on the vita and cant work or have not been made available natively on PS5, like Sly Cooper collection.

It makes infinite sense, grows the ecosystem and gives a portable option instead of people going to Nintendo or Steam for that....

It also gives countries like Japan that prefer mobile gaming a playstation version.

It is so obvious but the instead give momentum to other companies.
The Office Thank You GIF

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
That openness is actually a marketing point for Valve though.

openness.jpg

openness2.jpg
The size is really important to me. Steam Deck looks kinda huge and unwieldy. Like I imagine holding it across my lap rather than up in the air nearer to face. The GPD Win 4 is pocketable and looks sleeker than SD to me, in that I could see me using GPD on the bus, but SD not so much.