Sony reverses position & will no longer require PSN account linking for Helldivers 2. Must take the right lessons from this fiasco.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Oh wow you came back. I thought you left after your mission to get rid of Kiryu was accomplished.

Proud I Did It GIF by Travis

Who? And nah extremely busy.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Jimbo fucked up PlayStation really hard.
It will take several months if not years to reverse his decisions and influence.
The great western ideology strikes again. With Shuhei Yoshida we would have experienced a golden era.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I lost respect for Sony, the people who left the negative reviews now aren't going to change them and they have just bended the knee to these lunatics

• they're_right_you_know

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
All of this drama and brand destruction just to cater to a group that don't even contribute 1% to PlayStation's bottomline.

Sony current leadership has to be the dumbest "business people" ever in gaming history

Reminder:

PlayStation revenue - 30 billion
10 PC ports + Destiny 2 revenue - 250m
PSN store weekly revenue - 300m

After 4 years, porting almost the entire library and spending 3.7 billion on Bungie, not even 1% of PlayStations revenue comes from PC. PC revenue cannot generate what PSN does in a week. This initiative has been an objective failure. It’s wild that people try to spin it to look good instead of just admitting it.

Now you want them to spend even more resources creating launcher and more ports that will flop? PS launcher on PC is a stupid idea. You guys are lost in the sauce, PC as a whole is nothing but a waste of time that shouldn’t be acknowledged in the slightest.

Put that time and money into new games for console owners, improving backwards compatibility, and remaking classics that need it (ps1/ps2). Things that actually strengthen the console and make PS users experience better.

Wild idea….try catering to people that don’t hate you that are actually willing to spend money and not cry over something as stupid as creating a free account.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
All of this drama and brand destruction just to cater to a group that don't even contribute 1% to PlayStation's bottomline.

Sony current leadership has to be the dumbest "business people" ever in gaming history
Yep Jimbo affected them way too hard. He confused them by telling them PC is the correct approach to grow. Jim Ryan has succeeded in bribing the Sony leadership into sabotaging their number one product.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023

This CEO can’t shut his mouth up saying “leaving it optional” when they know Sony wants it a force requirement (like GOT Legends) & will be brought back once Sony adds additional regions in the future later being a force requirement. This tweet will be brought back up by PC freaks & those words “leave it optional” will comeback to haunt him & Sony & create another PC fiasco in the future

Expect this tweet to be deleted or edited if they were smart. As we find out never say never to a potential decision in the future that allows to be closed or open to change in the future

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Kyoji

22 Jun 2022
Sony fucked up. They’ve stated how they would have “future plans for PC players” they’re won’t be future plans lol PC players got there way Helldivers 2 can never have a PSN requirement on PC making it more questionable what is the reason of Sony porting these games & releasing these multiplayer games if you cant even garner PC players as a PSN user.

This will make future games like Concord, Fairgames, Horizon online when Sony inevitably pushes PSN requirements for future games to be pushed against & completely remove since it worked for Helldivers 2.

This just make PC the platform to invest & play all PS games instead of continuing investing PS5 or PS6

Also what do you think is the “future plans” because Sony can no longer push anything without seeming contradictory even more
im glad you get it bro, i said and thought the exact same thing, sony really fucked up here and this will have long term implications if they maintain course with PC live service titles not requiring linked accounts, and if they escalate even further to doing day and date releases for single player games.

I'll just go ahead and speak for myself only, if they think im going to pay to play online - live service games on console while pc has a clear advantage in not having too they are more dense than i thought. But i wont rage on social media about it and i hope others dont either, ill simply quietly unsub from PS+ and start to re-evaluate if console truly is PlayStation top priority still.

They stand to lose a lot thinking they are chasing growth with pc when in reality it will go like this: playstation players will move to pc laterally, those peripheral sales (which lead the npd and other metrics every month), 30% cut's from 3rd party games, PSN sub counts... will all start to fade, and they will have nerve to wonder why? And this will be just the tip of the iceberg. They are chasing fools gold and a strategy the competition would love for them to embrace because they KNOW it would severely loosen sonys current leverage on the market.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I'm not surprised. The moment this started costing Sony money - refunds, the game being delisted in several countries - was when this outcome became inevitable. It's obvious they're going to keep working on PSN integration with their games on PC, but the issue of PSN availability is a big one. I'm curious about how they intend to tackle that.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
I'm not surprised. The moment this started costing Sony money - refunds, the game being delisted in several countries - was when this outcome became inevitable. It's obvious they're going to keep working on PSN integration with their games on PC, but the issue of PSN availability is a big one. I'm curious about how they intend to tackle that.

This, once the $$$$ was being impacted it was a matter of time

Reactions: laynelane

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
KNOW it would severely loosen sonys current leverage on the market.
There already loosing against Steam/PC & Nintendo & Apple could leapfrog PS if more AAA games get release on IPhone.

Sony leadership only compare themselves against the horribly run Xbox

Reactions: Box

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

This CEO can’t shut his mouth up saying “leaving it optional” when they know Sony wants it a force requirement (like GOT Legends) & will be brought back once Sony adds additional regions in the future later being a force requirement. This tweet will be brought back up by PC freaks & those words “leave it optional” will comeback to haunt him & Sony & create another PC fiasco in the future

Expect this tweet to be deleted or edited if they were smart. As we find out never say never to a potential decision in the future that allows to be closed or open to change in the future

🤡🤡🤡

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It's so scary what happens with PlayStation currently. Curse you Jim Ryan. You accomplished your deed in killing off a successful brand. If Sony never had bothered with PC, they would have surpassed the PS4 console lifetime sales. They are on their way to become an Xbox 2.0 😭🤧

• they're_right_you_know

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
It's so scary what happens with PlayStation currently. Curse you Jim Ryan. You accomplished your deed in killing off a successful brand. If Sony never had bothered with PC, they would have surpassed the PS4 console lifetime sales. They are on their way to become an Xbox 2.0 😭🤧
It’s sad because Steam, Nintendo & Apple are all looking to replace PS spot by doubling down on there platform & storefront & having permanent exclusive content you can’t find nowhere else.

Crazy how Sony just followed Xbox strat to the t. Who would’ve seen this 180 from the PS4 gen

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Maybe people on PlayStation should ask on discord if they should request for a refund. Without the PSN linking, hacking and cheating is still a danger, meaning cross-play shouldn't be enabled to avoid risks, missing to play with half of the overall HD2 playerbase ....

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Kyoji

22 Jun 2022
There already loosing against Steam/PC & Nintendo & Apple could leapfrog PS if more AAA games get release on IPhone.

Sony leadership only compare themselves against the horribly run Xbox
Not really they still have incredible marketshare, and even with MS absorbing both activision and bethesda they still make considerably more revenue. (theres noway sony should not be able to figure out how to turn as much revenue as they make into more profits.. this falls squarely on bad mangement in that regard)

PC supposedly has 1billion gamers, yet most games that see a standard release across xbox playstation pc etc. dont achieve large lifetime sales. Why is it that if PC fanbase is so big that games like dragons dogma 2 launch with 2.5million sells? Yet i am suppose to believe that they are carrying the market?

Sonys problem is they got carried away with how bloated their games got cost wise (we all know this by now) which led to those bad margins recently. People are using this as a reason as to why they should support PC more when in fact, they need to do the opposite. IF sony want to see better margins like they have in the past, they need to be alot more efficient than they have been and do a much better job at allocating budgets to these projects, everything doesnt need to cost 200million to make, they need to dial it back, as you can still make very good triple A or smaller experiences without all the overhead, and when they do that tamper expectations accordingly. every game cant be a 10-20mil bomb seller, and having games that sell alot less shouldnt be an indicator of a flop either, these games all still server a purpose, games like ICO/shadow of collusus/concrete genie (for example) may not sell globs but draw in a different demograph into your ecosystem which u can then in turn sell other things, And triple A can still be done it just needs to as i said earlier be more efficient, but thats where astout management comes into play. Trying to 'grow' by simply being available 'everywhere' is the lazy route - and comes with a cost.

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Maybe people on PlayStation should ask on discord if they should request for a refund. Without the PSN linking, hacking and cheating is still a danger, meaning cross-play shouldn't be enabled to avoid risks, missing to play with half of the overall HD2 playerbase ....
This won’t work since people like grumz are PC centric. These people really don’t care for PS

Now the conversation is how PC bend the knee of PS & more conversation how PS is gonna go day n date. The PS brand is a joke & a former shell of itself. All the toxic conversations is leading me to fully jump ship from PS console. The conversation are actually sad & pathetic I will always tip my hat for Nintendo they would’ve release a statment 1 hour later from this whole fiasco & stated how you’ll need a PSN account to play & either refunded the county’s that isn’t supported or change PSN selectable regions but I’m no legal expert so it may not be that quick

At this point PS is just looked at like a Xbox 2.0

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Steam users when they realize they need to connect Ghost of Tsushima to a PSN account to get that overlay and them trophies they did victory laps about:
perfect loops smash GIF
If they don't have PSN accounts already then they don't care about trophies.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
My prediction is they will take the L's with Helldivers but going forward they will enforce PSN login for their future ports.
Sure I still think helldivers will get PSN at a later date there’s zero reason for all future live service but not one of its most successful maybe they play the long game like after 2 years where players are super invested & they don’t care by tying it to a major content update or crossplay (the friend list is still broken) idk how they would roll it they might just let HD2 slide

But all this fiasco empowers PCcplayer & they’ll be bitching about Fairgames & Concord & pointing at Helldivers 2

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

I'm glad for Sony's decision and for that I already reversed my Steam review to recommended.

Again, I'm not against the PSN linking.
However, the perceived bait&switch made it look pretty bad, and the matter of hundreds of thousands of people with the game not having any legitimate way to get a PSN account turned the situation a bit insane.

Reactions: Systemshock2023