Sony reverses position & will no longer require PSN account linking for Helldivers 2. Must take the right lessons from this fiasco.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
All this because a bunch of self entitled basement dwellers that haven't touched grass in years didn't sant to take 2 minutes away from watching hentai to make an account because it would then be associated with a filthy peasant console because they have deluded themselves into thinking owning a computer makes them better people. That's the real of it all.
You're missing a huge point being the countries that were sold the game by Sony knowing they don't support them.

I never had a single issue with linking my account. I have my own pre-existing account from a decade plus ago.

Also, Pyo has some of that wrong, it was Grummz fans, they have been going after CMs for weeks upon weeks now.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
No
i think u are getting many of us confused with xbox fans, this aint that and PC players need to realize they dont hold as much power as they think.
The helldivers situation is an isolated incident, i dont like how sony reversed course so easy but its not as simple as "omg pc wields so much power omgzzzz16161ssqsx!!!oneshiftone!!", its more or less this was the first test in their live service initiative and they dont want to fuck it up.
Not just that but the regions being removed & then Steam mass refunding after players spent over 2 hours some 50-100 hours getting refund not just in those regions removed but globally wherever you live you was getting a refund was the reason Sony reverse decision for the time being

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
I saw HD2 might be getting a cape inspired by the review bombing on Steam. It makes me wonder why Arrowhead is rewarding negative actions, mainly when the issue arose from Arrow not talking about the PSN sign-in often enough when they knew about it.

It also makes me wonder why Sony isn't doing anything against the cape thing if it's real. The last thing they want is a constant reminder of Arrowhead's fuck-up.

• haha
Reactions: Banana

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I saw HD2 might be getting a cape inspired by the review bombing on Steam. It makes me wonder why Arrowhead is rewarding negative actions, mainly when the issue arose from Arrow not talking about the PSN sign-in often enough when they knew about it.

It also makes me wonder why Sony isn't doing anything against the cape thing if it's real. The last thing they want is a constant reminder of Arrowhead's fuck-up.

They can move past this just like Cyberpunk and no mans sky did as well.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

Arrowhead loves the idea (CEO and dev team). The fanbase think the idea is funny, Arrowhead wants to commemorate the power that is the Helldivers community. Arrowhead actually asked for all of that because it gives them more sway when Sony was in discussion with them. Arrowhead also had no idea that Sony was selling the game in regions PSN isn't supported so they felt bad about the players in those regions.

Post about the cape

The CEO (Pilestedt on twitter) has no problem with making light of the situation whatsoever, he's actually a really funny person.

Post 1
Post 2

EDIT: All the posts are by themselves if you are not signed in and it looks really stupid. So, sign in to see what he's replying to, I guess.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024

It worries me that a profile of this size posts this and no one confirms the veracity of the information (in fact, the community note that ZubyTech took is misleading, as almost 60% refers only to the USA)

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024

It worries me that a profile of this size posts this and no one confirms the veracity of the information (in fact, the community note that ZubyTech took is misleading, as almost 60% refers only to the USA)

This is why Sony should have never allowed day 1 pc even for gaas. Protecting the image and the status of the Playstation brand should ALWAYS be the highest priority.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This is why Sony should have never allowed day 1 pc even for gaas. Protecting the image and the status of the Playstation brand should ALWAYS be the highest priority.

Helldivers 2 is apparently the most successful release of any game in SIE/SCE history. Only 3 months after its release, it seems to be the best selling PS Studios game ever and if not it must be close. And being a GaaS, its revenue goes beyond the game sales.

image.png

As of now there are 823,512, over 70% of them positive. The typical user reviews x25 estimate would indicate around 20.6M units sold only in PC, but in this case that multiplier wouldn't applie due to having more reviews than usual due to the initial server issues and recent review bombing + users mobilizing to compensate it.

The game also features a great user retention, keeping a very large active userbase and a big percent of their launch peak userbase 3 months after release even compared to most successful recent paid GaaS titles.

Look at these 24h CCU peak and compare them vs their peak, Helldivers 2 seems to be in a CoD scale with only FIFA having better use retention:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png
image.png

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Helldivers 2 is apparently the most successful release of any game in SIE/SCE history. Only 3 months after its release, it seems to be the best selling PS Studios game ever and if not it must be close. And being a GaaS, its revenue goes beyond the game sales.

But what will it cost the platform in the long term? As successful as a single game may be Playstattion's profits from the platform itself are much bigger. Train your customers to buy your games on PC and you kill the golden goose.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
This is false. The PSN TOS clearly state we must answer truthfully during the registration, and the registration asks what our country of residence is,
Anyone setting up a false address during PSN registration is breaking the PSN's TOS.
And yet, we have seas of Japanese PSN accounts from US and EU residents with not a single wave of TOS bans.

Reactions: Plextorage

Banana

10 Jan 2023
But what will it cost the platform in the long term? As successful as a single game may be Playstattion's profits from the platform itself are much bigger. Train your customers to buy your games on PC and you kill the golden goose.
Consoles have been stagnant for a long time. It's not a golden goose. Companies want more money, and there's only so much they can squeeze out of the console pop.

Eventually it will all become unsustainable. Sort of like we're seeing now with a lack of games.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
This is false. The PSN TOS clearly state we must answer truthfully during the registration, and the registration asks what our country of residence is,
Anyone setting up a false address during PSN registration is breaking the PSN's TOS.

And i'm using US PSN account for 15+ years with fake address and a name and living in Europe. Looks like you don't know who real world works. Companies doesn't care about TOS as long you are giving them money regulary. Sony doesn't giving a ban using VPNs, India, Brazil, Germany acc and what not ( please, don't use a China as an example )

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I never had to create an Xbox account. My hotmail account from 20 years ago was enough.

Sony is amateurish and PC gamers don't trust them. They should up their game. That's all there is to it.

As a company you cannot go and say: Just go and create an account in another country. Specially when that violates your OWN ToS.

Change your ToS if you don't want to put in work at least. They should waive the PSN requirement until they provide a good workaround for people outside supported regions.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
AAA games budgets get way more expensive evey new generation.

This generation, with new AAA games going above $300M, and considering Sony gets on average aprox. around $34 or less per copy sold they should sell over 9-10M copies to be profitable.

It means big AAA SP console exclusive games with the sales scale of Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Dreams or Days Gone wouldn't be profitable.

Meaning, if Sony would have continue locked to SP games exclusive to their console would have needed to stop making big AAA games outside their super seller IPs like GoW, Horizon, TLOU, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Uncharted and Spider-Man.

Having PC and GaaS increases the revenue and profitability that their 1st party games have. Which keeps them less pressure on the profitability of the projects.

GaaS and PC have absolutely no negative effect to PlayStation: its active userbase keeps breaking all time records, its software revenue keeps breaking all time records, its game sub revenue keeps breaking all time records and their console only releases keep breaking all time records (and particularly with sequels of games ported to PC). So if there is any effect of Sony's GaaS and PC strategy on PS is positive.

Sony's userbase, revenue and profitability will be bigger with PS+PC (+mobile in the mid term) than PS only. And they need it because even if they continue breaking records with PS, the speed they grow the sales of revenue of 1st party games on console isn't as big as the budget increase every generation.

Deto

1 Jul 2023
Helldivers 2 is apparently the most successful release of any game in SIE/SCE history. Only 3 months after its release, it these 24h CCU peak and compare them vs their peak, Helldivers 2 seems to be in a CoD scale with only FIFA having

1. FIFA 18 – 26.4+ million units sold

As of April 16, 2023, the Horizon franchise has sold through more than 32.7 million units worldwide, of which Horizon Forbidden West has sold through over 8.4 million units.

In May 2023, it was announced on the official PlayStation blog that as of 16 April 2023, the game had sold over 24.3 million units

Marvel’s Spider-Man series now has sold through more than 33 million copies globally, as of May 15, 2022.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
Over 31 Million Copies Sold

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Poor child feels neglected from mommy PS and daddy Sony.

What's the """status""" of PS. Online features held with duct tape? 15 years to change your username?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I never had to create an Xbox account. My hotmail account from 20 years ago was enough.

Sony is amateurish and PC gamers don't trust them. They should up their game. That's all there is to it.

As a company you cannot go and say: Just go and create an account in another country. Specially when that violates your OWN ToS.

Change your ToS if you don't want to put in work at least. They should waive the PSN requirement until they provide a good workaround for people outside supported regions.
you shouldn't buy a game is you don't read rules and restrictions? if you bought, means, you agreed with terms and rules.

that's how rational and thinking people operates usually. if you are stupid, ignored what was written and cry later. this is only works with this, this time. go and do the same with laws. a lot of people are just ignorant idiots, that was proven again.

this is incredible stupidity.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
you shouldn't buy a game is you don't read rules and restrictions? if you bought, means, you agreed with terms and rules.

that's how rational and thinking people operates usually. if you are stupid, ignore what was written and cry later. this is only works with this, this time. go and do the same with laws. a lot of people are just ignorant idiots, that was proven again.

this is incredible stupidity.

Just admit Sony made a mistake. This a chance for them to be better. Even the worst fanboy will admit they have issues with communicating.