Sony should port all their PS4 games to the next Nintendo consoles

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
This is just the natural next step of following the current logic of PC ports and those that claim it's a huge success (and according to the discussion today, doesn't even have any drawbacks). People in this forum really like to point out that Sony does not compete with Nintendo as well.

I am yet to see a single reasonable argument of why this would not work.
1) Nintendo won't give them dev kits prior to launch, so they miss an important selling period
2) They'd still need to down port, probably
3) PS4 games a decade or more old, likely not much interest in some of them
4) Being not built for a hybrid a lot of titles would lack the "short burst of activity" design philosophy that mobile titles are designed with. Will also require a lot of text size, UI layout, etc. changes.
5) A lot of their titles are sequels to eachother and thus have deminishing returns when released close together.
6) No internal teams alotted to this at present, would require outsourcing or taking resources from other titles.
7) Regarded as a console the Switch is a direct PS competitor while PC is a different segment and does not directly compete.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I don't understand why you're getting hate for this post

These are old games, they've already got all the sales they could on PlayStation/PC. Porting them to Switch 2 is free and easy money and will open it up to new audiences. The more people that get to experience these masterpieces, the better! And the profits can be used to fund new games. People who want a PS5 will still buy a PS5, this won't affect sales at all.

NPC_wojak_meme.png

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
1) Nintendo won't give them dev kits prior to launch, so they miss the best selling period
2) They'd still need to down port, probably
3) PS4 games a decade or more old, likely not much interest in some of them
4) Being not built for a hybrid a lot of titles would lack the "short burst of activity" design philosophy that mobile titles are designed with.
5) A lot of their titles are sequels to eachother and thus have deminishing returns when released close together.
6) No internal teams alotted to this at present, would require outsourcing or taking resources from other titles.
7) Regarded as a console the Switch is a direct PS competitor while PC is a different segment and does not directly compete.
1) These are all old games already.
2) Unlikelly, also not a problem when it comes to supporting weak hardware like the Steam Deck on PC.
3) No different from how it was on PC.
4) You are just making stuff up now.
5) Same was true for PC
6) Same was true for PC
7) PC comepetes more directly with PlayStation than Nintendo consoles.

I don't understand why you're getting hate for this post

These are old games, they've already got all the sales they could on PlayStation/PC. Porting them to Switch 2 is free and easy money and will open it up to new audiences. The more people that get to experience these masterpieces, the better! And the profits can be used to fund new games. People who want a PS5 will still buy a PS5, this won't affect sales at all.

NPC_wojak_meme.png
People might even play them on the Switch 2 and decide to go out and buy a PS5 for the next game so that they don't have to wait. 😌

They could also double dip (or even triple dip) to be able to play the game on the go.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
What is bold about this strategy? Hasn't it been proven completely successful on PC?

If titles like Spider-man and God of War were able to sell 2m copies each on the Switch 2 it would be a resounding sucess.

I wonder if this is the big reveal Sony is saving for the next showcase.
No it hasn't.
Helldivers 2 is the only exception.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
1) These are all old games already.
2) Unlikelly, also not a problem when it comes to supporting weak hardware like the Steam Deck on PC.
3) No different from how it was on PC.
4) You are just making stuff up now.
5) Same was true for PC
6) Same was true for PC
7) PC comepetes more directly with PlayStation than Nintendo consoles.

People might even play them on the Switch 2 and decide to go out and buy a PS5 for the next game so that they don't have to wait. 😌

They could also double dip (or even triple dip) to be able to play the game on the go.
I disagree on point 7, and that argument (that PC and Switch are different cases) seems to be the opposite of yours for most of mine.

As to me "making stuff up" on point 4, you must not have watched many Iwata Asks or played many 3DS titles.

And while I appreciate you giving Switch 2 a win and saying it will be PS4 quality, I really doubt it. Not while maintaining battery life, anyway.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I disagree on point 7, and that argument (that PC and Switch are different cases) seems to be the opposite of yours for most of mine.

As to me "making stuff up" on point 4, you must not have watched many Iwata Asks or played many 3DS titles.

And while I appreciate you giving Switch 2 a win and saying it will be PS4 quality, I really doubt it. Not while maintaining battery life, anyway.
Bro, you can connect the Switch to a TV and you can play PC games on the go on devices like the Steam Deck. Even Sony themselves still released the PlayStation Portal.

I would be surprised if they go out of their way to make the Switch 2 that week, it should at least be in the same ballpark as the PS4/Xbox One.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Bro, you can connect the Switch to a TV and you can play PC games on the go on devices like the Steam Deck. Even Sony themselves still released the PlayStation Portal.

I would be surprised if they go out of their way to make the Switch 2 that week, it should at least be in the same ballpark as the PS4/Xbox One.
You can connect the Switch to a tv, but most bespoke games are built to work well in both formats and you can bet your ass people can and will complain if they get consolized text sizes on the portable screen.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I would love to play those games on the go (aka the toilet) and if they require PSN linking for supporting cross-save, they would also increase their MAUs by a lot

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You can connect the Switch to a tv, but most bespoke games are built to work well in both formats and you can bet your ass people can and will complain if they get consolized text sizes on the portable screen.
Damn, you need to tell that to all the third party publishers publishing the same games on all platforms.

I would love to play those games on the go (aka the toilet) and if they require PSN linking for supporting cross-save, they would also increase their MAUs by a lot
If you play them while you are taking a shit at work you are pretty much being paid to play games.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sony should make PlayStation 5 games for PlayStation 5.
When the Playstation 6 comes out, they should make games only for the PlayStation 6.
Why? Because that's what works.

Imagine thinking that BC and cross-generational games, a feature requested by people who don't want to upgrade, would be the same group that open their wallet.

• thisistheway
Reactions: JAHGamer and arvfab