Sony should try to save Ready At Dawn from closure and purchase Crash + Spyro IPs

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It would mean a lot to old fans but I wouldn't expect the moves to generate huge financial success..

But from a pure fan perspective, it would be exciting.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The order sucked, no one is buying anything.

Especially something that continually puts out bad products. The order 1886 revisionism is starting to stink like the days gone revisionism.

…and no one bought crash 4 or team rumble.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Crash and Spyro are dead franchises unfortunately. If MS still allowed Xbox control over first party exclusives, I'd have seen a Crash made solely as a fuck you to Sony. A one and done. Spyro will never have a game again. Sony should have swung back to buy them 15 years ago when Skylanders failed. The moment Shawn Layden announced at e3 the Crash trilogy remake, the opportunity was lost.

The IP for The Order is Sony's so unless Ready at Dawn have retained the main players from a decade ago, they would be better off giving that IP to another developer. I'd pick up the story and design talent in a heartbeat. An amazing and underutilised IP.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
They don't owe them anything. Yes in a different time-line both RaD and Evolution would'v gotten a 2nd shot in the PS4 gen but Sony was (and still is) very cut-throat.

Crash and Spyro? Nah, better to go forward with Astrobot.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Yes i agree sony should buy ready at dawn and revive the order series

do it jewish GIF

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I know but MS will never sell them to Playstation
Considering MS/Xbox didn’t see value in keeping Toys for Bob to develop future Crash/Spyro & even possibly Banjoo I would be surprised if MS did sell Crash/Spyro. It holds no value to MS since most of its playerbase is on PS & even as a gamepass game it’s relatively small that won’t bump any subscription meaning a new Crash/Spyro game essentially equates to MS spending 50-75 million & giving it for free since I don’t see major growth w those ip for gamepass.

I think MS/Xbox is more focus on key major franchise I would not be surprised if the Hellblade studio worked on Elder Scroll franchise using there expertise & using a major franchise like the elder scrolls I can see bigger success then a new ip or Hellblade 3

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Instead of buying IPs Sony should create new IPs and revive old ones.
Buying old ip that has long history/success isn’t bad. I mean terraway & concord are new ip & id say a LBP4 & a Killzone/Socom/Warhawk live service would bring significant more profits/success than those 2 games I mentioned

Creating new ip isn’t necessarily a good thing when you have existing or old ip that been forgotten or left behind at the cost of creating something new w possible potential

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
These are good things to desire but very unlikely. But i would co sign this all day. R@D carried the PSP and early PS4, i dont know how they got away from SIE.
I have to wonder tho, its been almost 20 years, are any of the folks that made the PSP games still even there, are they worth saving after so long?

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Buying old ip that has long history/success isn’t bad.
Large companies buying IPs is always bad as it stifles creative freedom of the people who traditionally worked on them. I'm only okay with it if it's an IP that's long dormant that the company has no interest in doing anything with, and both Crash and Spyro are kinda alive as they are.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I have to wonder tho, its been almost 20 years, are any of the folks that made the PSP games still even there, are they worth saving after so long?
Obviously the PSP & The Order days were many years ago, and in any studio there's some people who joins or leaves every year. So many people is no longer there. In fact several people moved to other Sony studios many years ago.

But looking at Lone Echo II (released in 2021) game credits, the studio head, game director, some of the producers, head of studio R&D, studio director of operations, creative director and many other from the top staff have been there since the PSP days or since The Order (but back then they were working in the Sony side and previously having worked in many other non-RaD Sony games).

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Crash and Spyro are dead franchises unfortunately. If MS still allowed Xbox control over first party exclusives, I'd have seen a Crash made solely as a fuck you to Sony. A one and done. Spyro will never have a game again. Sony should have swung back to buy them 15 years ago when Skylanders failed. The moment Shawn Layden announced at e3 the Crash trilogy remake, the opportunity was lost.

The IP for The Order is Sony's so unless Ready at Dawn have retained the main players from a decade ago, they would be better off giving that IP to another developer. I'd pick up the story and design talent in a heartbeat. An amazing and underutilised IP.
Sony did try to buy the Crash IP but Activision refused. Long before the acquisition, though.

• sad
Reactions: Kokoloko

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Sony did try to buy the Crash IP but Activision refused. Long before the acquisition, though.
If it didn't happen then, it never will happen. If Xbox had to sell the Crash IP, it would be sold to Tencent for 1 dollar before Sony at an inflated price. Crash IP is worth more to Xbox dead than to be successful with Sony.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It’s dead. Time to move on. It’s the natural flow of any industry, winners and losers.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony has enough problems trying to salvage bungie and firewalk after the inevitable concord flop. They should acquire arrowhead, invest like a billion in Square enix, and maybe acquire more of from soft/kadowkawa and theyd be set. Xbox is irrelevant in the market now as is.