Sony, Sony, Soony

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This is *BIG*! I forgot about this. Consoles do have a time limit on them as well as backward compatibility issues whereas the PC has a much much longer time limit where the hardware performance is the limitation (which can be scaled down to run) and no backwards compatibility issues per say.
Consoles used to have a time limit it seems.
ps4 never died. It lives and thrives on ps5. I suppose ps6 will be the same.
And older consoles still have some best version of games.
But generally sure - console lives during it's support time

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
No, I'm not. I heard everything you are saying. But I disagree with your premise. Games will become more complex and that requires higher prices - EVEN if you think it's not enough to take up the slack. I then asked you to give suggestions to make $70 seem viable and I got none.
For £70 compared with normal cheaper PC pricing, it should be PS5 exclusive, and take best advantage of whatever gains the console offers, not having to drag PC and PS4 tech specs (and desiging games to accomodate them still). You're not just asking for game price hike, you're also taking reasons away to own this £500 console.

Now, if you're going to do that anyway, why the hell not have a PS4 level PSP and embrace BC/portability more, keep it all PS-centric instead of branching outwards and spreading too thin etc. Sony sort of doing a half-assed coasting attempt instead of actually comitting.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
PC has a much much longer time limit where the hardware performance is the limitation (which can be scaled down to run) and no backwards compatibility issues per say.
If you are running Windows, at some point you can no longer simply install an old game from a CD and launch it any more.

That is why G.O.G. spends so much time working on old games, they actually hack in a DirectX 9 façade to get old games to work. PC backwards compatibility isn't as "out of the box" as most people might think either.

D

Deleted member 13

If you are running Windows, at some point you can no longer simply install an old game from a CD and launch it any more.

That is why G.O.G. spends so much time working on old games, they actually hack in a DirectX 9 façade to get old games to work. PC backwards compatibility isn't as "out of the box" as most people might think either.
True but because we have G.O.G., we are able to continue the backward compatibility trend.

Katajx

8 Jul 2022
Here’s my big deal on console Atleast for $60 vs $70 games.

What’s this difference from PS4 to PS5 games that warrant the price adjustment?
Adjusting settings and performance targets.
These are scaled down or scaled up versions.
Not completely redone games or built from the ground up for both.

It really makes PC look like a more preferable option here. It’s like we pay extra to adjust our resolution,shadows, and frame rate where it’s standard on PC if your hardware supports it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Katajx

8 Jul 2022
Development costs have went up, but I think the push towards digital they have been able to keep more of the purchase price than they used to with the production of the games, shipping, and the retailers involved.

This works even more in Sony’s favor in particular if it’s sold on PSN and not another digital store.

Status
Not open for further replies.