Sony Upscaling Patent - DF Indirect |UP| Insider gaming states Super Resolution will be aiming for 4K120FPS

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You can see our response below, but ultimately, the recent announcement from AMD itself that it's looking for machine learning-based upscaling solutions for 'game devices' isn't a particularly good fit for the mechanics of the patent. On top of that, many patents are filed but very few constitute detailed 'tell all' descriptions of actual shipping products. Based on our own thoughts and those of developers we've spoken to familiar with upscaling technology, this looks like an interesting thought experiment - but we'd be surprised to see this actually manifest in PlayStation 5 Pro.
Additional info..
  • Sony patents suggest the PlayStation 5 Pro may feature a proprietary hardware-driven upscaling technology similar to Nvidia's DLSS.
  • The patent describes a method of using Asset Aware Data and Level Of Detail data to improve visuals and performance in gaming.

Update 3/18/24 Insider gaming

PLAYSTATION’S SPECTRAL SUPER RESOLUTION (PSSR) IS AIMING FOR 4K 120FPS & 8K 60FPS​

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This new show seems like a pretty interesting one in terms of their "Direct" family.
I always found that due to time constraint, Their Q&A sections on Directs could be a bit hit and miss depending on knowledgeable the panel could be and/or had time to research a little bit on any particular subject before they had to record.

Granted, this new Sony Patent is probably not the best example of it, but I think it's more because patents usually don't really reveal that much.
Like Richard said, That bit about the filing being from London is a quite sad considering the circumstances ;_;

Edit: It does seem to be in-line with their previous upscaling solutions though.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I wish the software side of playstation had the same work ethic as the hardware side. The PS5 console (including dual shock) and PSVR2 are so far beyond the competition that it's almost unbelievable.

Cerny is a magician.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

AI upscaling is set to be deployed starting this year in AMD's gaming devices, which include the yet-to-be-revealed PlayStation 5 Pro and PlayStation 6.

Speaking with the No Priors: AI, Machine Learning, Tech, & Startups YouTube channel in a new interview, AMD Chief Technology Officer Mark Papermaster talked about what's next for the company regarding AI, saying that 2024 is a huge year for AMD, as they just completed AI enabling in their entire portfolio. 2024 is also a huge deployment year for them, as they are enabling their gaming devices to upscale using AI, hinting at the fact that devices available or launching this year will be able to do so. As the next generation consoles are launching in a few years, this statement seems to strongly hint that the yet-to-be-revealed PlayStation 5 Pro, rumored to launch later this year, will indeed feature AI upscaling.

While PlayStation 5 Pro is almost certainly going to support AI upscaling, it is going to run on the GPU, as the Viola APU that will power the system has no NPUs, according to known AMD leaker Kepler. While the leaker was dubious about AI upscaling even being a thing for the console without Sony sharing its R&D efforts with AMD, today's statement seems to confirm how the companies actually worked together on it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Some sort of frame generation from 30 to 60 and from 60 to 120 would be very interesting and would explain why they didn't bother too much with the CPU.

I never used it on my PC to know if it's actually any good but people praise NVidia for it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm thinking 4k120 fps will be for PS6 with PSSR, PS5 Pro will be 4k60 fps with PSSR.
PS6 will rely even more on PSSR and reconstruction, it's clearly the way things are going on PC too.

DLSS has been a huge advantage for Nvidia in the past years and major hurdle for AMD.

Frame generation is probably the next step, 60 to 120 should be relatively easy to do. Console players are already used to bad input lag anyway and there is a lot of optimization that could be done to improve that on PlayStation to compensate for the additional input lag of frame generation.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That is stated in the insider gaming article. It looks like 4K-120 is for the PS6.

I feel like the majority of the games I own on PS5 have a 60fps option, which is already great.
Yup and I love it. I remember when they said this gen was going to still mostly be 30fps bullshit, at least not the games I'm playing.

Reactions: Entropi

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yup and I love it. I remember when they said this gen was going to still mostly be 30fps bullshit, at least not the games I'm playing.
120 would be a really bad use of resources unless it's achieved with some sort of frame generation technology.

The future now is to use AI instead of fully rendering every frame and every pixel.

Reactions: Gamernyc78