Sony with more Remake studios/teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Do y'all think Sony/Playstation will look for more remakes studios with Bluepoint Games making *Original Content* now?

I believe remakes are good and easier return on dev time and projects while other studios work on New IPs and Original content, Sony has so many great IPs that could do with a remake

The top 5 IPs that could do with a remake

1. Syphon Filter
2. Wild Arms
3. Getaway
4. Uncharted/GOW1
5. INFAMOUS

What does everyone think on this matter?

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
good list , jimbo already stated they will aquire more teams but no one knows what sony will do with them , since VR and PC ports are also a priority for them.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'd rather they focused on new games within certain dead franchises, instead of remakes. Remakes should be reserved to those games that haven't aged gracefully, like TLOU 1 (it's a great game, but 2 makes it look and play bad in comparison).

That said, I'd very much love to see some older games like Jack and Daxter remade, for example. Or ICO, and bundle it with Shadow of Colossus.

OP
OP
LightBolt

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
I'd rather they focused on new games within certain dead franchises, instead of remakes. Remakes should be reserved to those games that haven't aged gracefully, like TLOU 1 (it's a great game, but 2 makes it look and play bad in comparison).

That said, I'd very much love to see some older games like Jack and Daxter remade, for example. Or ICO, and bundle it with Shadow of Colossus.
I'm the same till we see reveals then i'm like *Hot damn DAY ONE*

What team did that Medievil remake?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah they should work with a couple new studios in remaking older games.
Bluepoint should share their knowledge with them even maybe.

Or just expand Bluepoint more and more to work on remakes as well as new IP.

Id like to see:

PS IP remade:

Uncharted 1
God of War 1-2
ICO
Jak n Daxter Trilogy
Legend of Dragoon
Ape Escape
Infamous1+2 rolled into 1 game
Syphon Filter

3rd Party IP remade:

MGS 1-2 and 3
Silent Hill 1-3
Xenogears
Gex 3D
Shadow Hearts 1-2
Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Bushido Blade
Soul Reaver
Dues Ex
Grandia
Final Fanasty 4,5,6,8,9
Persona 1-2
Rider Racer Type 4 + RR PSP

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think they'll make more remasters and ports mostly because they plan to release PC ports of old games, and instead of porting a 10 years old helps to look as less "too old" if what they port is a somewhat remaster or remake. In addition to this it helps to make available to their huge PS4 and PS5 (+now PC + future PS consoles, that very likely all will be full BC with PS4 and PS5) userbase classics from PS3, PSP or Vita without needing cloud gaming or emulators.

I think the main candidates are Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and one or two GoW Collections. I think that like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection they could also remaster for PS5+PC with some minor additions and tweaks TLOU2, GoT and Bloodborne. It would be great to see remastered/remade collections of Killzone, Motorstorm, Jak & Daxter, Wipeout or Resistance but I think they'll pass because their sales weren't huge so potential PC & PS5 sales may not be worth.

I think Bluepoint is working now in original content but will keep growing and in the future they'll have two big project tracks: one for new games and other one for remakes. The remasters can be handled by Valkyrie, Nixxes or external teams like Iron Galaxy with some little help and overviewing from the original studios who made them.

Then there are some games like ICO or Syphon Filter, who more than a remaster or remake I'd give them a full reboot.

Reactions: Deleted member 38
OP
OP
LightBolt

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Yeah they should work with a couple new studios in remaking older games.
Bluepoint should share their knowledge with them even maybe.

Or just expand Bluepoint more and more to work on remakes as well as new IP.

Id like to see:

PS IP remade:

Uncharted 1
God of War 1-2
ICO
Jak n Daxter Trilogy
Legend of Dragoon
Ape Escape
Infamous1+2 rolled into 1 game
Syphon Filter

3rd Party IP remade:

MGS 1-2
Silent Hill 1-3
Xenogears
Gex 3D
Shadow Hearts 1-2
Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Bushido Blade
Soul Reaver
Dues Ex
Grandia
Final Fanasty 4,5,6,8,9
Persona 1-2
Rider Racer Type 4 + RR PSP

I think they'll make more remasters and ports mostly because they plan to release PC ports of old games, and instead of porting a 10 years old helps to look as less "too old" if what they port is a somewhat remaster or remake. In addition to this it helps to make available to their huge PS4 and PS5 (+now PC + future PS consoles, that very likely all will be full BC with PS4 and PS5) userbase classics from PS3, PSP or Vita without needing cloud gaming or emulators.

I think the main candidates are Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and one or two GoW Collections. I think that like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection they could also remaster for PS5+PC with some minor additions and tweaks TLOU2, GoT and Bloodborne. It would be great to see remastered/remade collections of Killzone, Motorstorm, Jak & Daxter, Wipeout or Resistance but I think they'll pass because their sales weren't huge so potential PC & PS5 sales may not be worth.

I think Bluepoint is working now in original content but will keep growing and in the future they'll have two big project tracks: one for new games and other one for remakes. The remasters can be handled by Valkyrie, Nixxes or external teams like Iron Galaxy with some little help and overviewing from the original studios who made them.

Then there are some games like ICO or Syphon Filter, who more than a remaster or remake I'd give them a full reboot.
I just want more dead IPs to come back!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just want more dead IPs to come back!
Sony also plans to bring to mobile some of their PS IPs partnering with external "buotique" devs.

I assume they may see fit there to some IPs that maybe aren't big enough to see them in console only. Probably stuff like Singstar, Loco Roco or Parappa. Who knows, they could make stuff like to ask the Monument Valley folks to make an Ico game for mobile.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Sony also plans to bring to mobile some of their PS IPs partnering with external "buotique" devs.

I assume they may see fit there to some IPs that maybe aren't big enough to see them in console only. Probably stuff like Singstar, Loco Roco or Parappa. Who knows, they could make stuff like to ask the Monument Valley folks to make an Ico game for mobile.
Im willing to bet if they go down that road It will be through PS+ in some way "Play the PS Classics you know and love on your phone anytime and anywhere"

• thisistheway
Reactions: AniWeeb

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Im willing to bet if they go down that road It will be through PS+ in some way "Play the PS Classics you know and love on your phone anytime and anywhere"
I was talking about new games made using these IPs, but I assume in the future they'll end selling emulated PS Classics on PC and mobile too. Specially if in the future they see PS Extra and specially Premium work very well on console and plan to expand it to PC and mobile.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
I don’t think Sony has plans for too many more remakes.

That was more of a thing that Layden wanted when he ran WWS.

Hulst doesn’t seem as interested, focus seems to be on multiplayer service games and new IPs.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
They (BluePoint) could still be doing remakes while working on new own stuff, if they increase the team size and have a dedicated team for remakes. And they surely have lots of games they could work on. For some of them they could start with a remake, then go on to produce own sequels or reboots.

Ape Escape, Dark Cloud, Wild Arms, LoL and so much more.

And if they really buy SE, they have infinitely more potential remakes they (in this case probably SE themselves) could tackle on.

Reactions: Darth Vader
D

Deleted member 13

Do y'all think Sony/Playstation will look for more remakes studios with Bluepoint Games making *Original Content* now?

I believe remakes are good and easier return on dev time and projects while other studios work on New IPs and Original content, Sony has so many great IPs that could do with a remake

1. Syphon Filter
2. Wild Arms
3. Getaway
4. Uncharted/GOW1
5. INFAMOUS

Good thread.

That's going to depend on the popularity of the game. Uncharted might be remade but I doubt it. I think ND has spent a lot of dollars on TLOU and they probably voted on that over UC since it was last gen hardware (which is compatible more with PS5). It would be nice though.

Infamous - maybe.

The others I don't see being remade because they aren't big sellers or popular.

• brain
Reactions: LightBolt
OP
OP
LightBolt

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Good thread.

That's going to depend on the popularity of the game. Uncharted might be remade but I doubt it. I think ND has spent a lot of dollars on TLOU and they probably voted on that over UC since it was last gen hardware (which is compatible more with PS5). It would be nice though.

Infamous - maybe.

The others I don't see being remade because they aren't big sellers or popular.
Thank you for great insight! Order 1866 2.0 could be remade :p

Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 13

Thank you for great insight! Order 1866 2.0 could be remade :p
I don't mind Order 1866 but they have to change the combat. Adding in melee attacks (sword) for the werewolves would have been awesome! I love 1866!

Reactions: Kokoloko

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

1. Syphon Filter
2. Wild Arms
3. Getaway
4. Uncharted/GOW1
5. INFAMOUS

Bend's new title is supposedly a spiritual successor to Syphon Filter. Days Gone supposedly is in the same universe according to John Garvin who I actually asked on his stream with Jaffe earlier this year.

This new Single player/MP game they are making supposedly might be a soft reboot set in the same universe with references to past events/possible characters set in the syhphon filter universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.