Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
With Microsoft trying so many times to win over Japan, eventually they might TRY to ‘win.’
I think its a wild goose chase, its total male anorexia on their part to think that they've won or even evened out in their core markets, this diversion to Japan might as well involve piling the money up and burning it, Hidden Fortress style.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Did sony give up in this area? Not alot has happened since Firewalk was acquired back in April.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Seems like the perfect time for a square acquisition.

If jim doesn't make a move sooner rather then later give him the boot.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Are there an PS twitter accounts to tweet at to like ask them about things like this? Even if they dont replay it might be worth it lol.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Screw Square they need to go all in courting Larian

I've been saying it for years. Ever since MS bought up most of the other available WRPG Devs. And it should be clearer than ever now. WRPGs have 30 million plus sales potential, Sony needs a presence in that space

You want an absolutely solid PC presence? ✅
Critically acclaimed? ✅
Commercially successful? Now ✅
Shown preferential PS5 treatment? ✅

They would also thrive more working with other Sony Devs, and I can only imagine the likes of Horizon could benefit from learning from the underlying systems of a game like BG3

The only thing maybe wouldn't fit is that the whole early access for BG3 was a great idea but maybe wouldn't work for a first party game with all eyes on it

Reactions: Puff

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Seems like the perfect time for a square acquisition.

If jim doesn't make a move sooner rather then later give him the boot.
Yeah I think this is a priority now.

All these anti-Sony articles from Takashi spreading like wildfire...it's like he knows something is going on behind the scenes and they want to prepare the narrative "MS the saviour" once again.

We've seen that movie already. Twice.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023

I've been saying it for years. Ever since MS bought up most of the other available WRPG Devs. And it should be clearer than ever now. WRPGs have 30 million plus sales potential, Sony needs a presence in that space

Critically acclaimed? ✅

They would also thrive more working with other Sony Devs, and I can only imagine the likes of Horizon could benefit from learning from the underlying systems of a game like BG3

The only thing maybe wouldn't fit is that the whole early access for BG3 was a great idea but maybe wouldn't work for a first party game with all eyes on it
Sony doesnt allow early access. Larian is a pc studio. Larian makes crpgs which aren't popular on consoles. Larian takes 6 years or longer to make their games. So no quick turn around, They don't own the gaming rights to Baldur Gates. I don't know why either party would want each other....

24 Jun 2022
Sony doesnt allow early access. Larian is a pc studio. Larian makes crpgs which aren't popular on consoles. Larian takes 6 years or longer to make their games. So no quick turn around, They don't own the gaming rights to Baldur Gates. I don't know why either party would want each other....

Oh, we know why you would go with this narrative. CRPGs aren't popular on console? Then why did Microsoft break their own back (and corporate stance) to allow BG3 to launch on Xbox without feature parity, just to get the game on their system this year? Why is BG3 lighting up the PS sales charts?

You just spat out a word salad with that tangent.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Oh, we know why you would go with this narrative. CRPGs aren't popular on console? Then why did Microsoft break their own back (and corporate stance) to allow BG3 to launch on Xbox without feature parity, just to get the game on their system this year? Why is BG3 lighting up the PS sales charts?

You just spat out a word salad with that tangent.
One crpg game doing decently on consoles wouldnt change what i said. CRPGS do not sell well on consoles.1 game changes nothing. Not to mention my other points are valid. So yeah, just ignored that.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If it was Microsoft buying Larian you would change all your arguments and repeat the following script:

After getting Bethesda, Obsidian and Inxile, I think it's good for Microsoft to also bring Larian under the same banner. A real CRPGs powerhouse on PC and Consoles. Now Sony can compete by building a studio from scratch and make their own IPs. Competition is good for the industry.

You xbots are all the same. Predictable.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
If it was Microsoft buying Larian you would change all your arguments and repeat the following script:

After getting Bethesda, Obsidian and Inxile, I think it's good for Microsoft to also bring Larian under the same banner. A real CRPGs powerhouse on PC and Consoles. Now Sony can compete by building a studio from scratch and make their own IPs. Competition is good for the industry.

You xbots are all the same. Predictable.
But their are legit concerns with Sony buying Larian. Again no early access, which Larian loves doing, a chance at forgoing their PC market, Making Larian games console only, pc release 2 years later etc. I don't think Larian would go for that? no?

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
But their are legit concerns with Sony buying Larian. Again no early access, which Larian loves doing, a chance at forgoing their PC market, Making Larian games console only, pc release 2 years later etc. I don't think Larian would go for that? no?
You are crying about a hypothetical, grow up

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony is very versatile as you can see by Bungie, PC ports, GAAS, subscriptions and even Death Stranding/The Show on GP. FiST was made with Sony China Hero Project and it's on Xbox and Gamepass.

They always adapt depending on the situation. None of what you're saying is set in stone.

Microsoft is the one that made multiple games exclusive. Keep your concerns to yourself.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ludwig

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Sony is very versatile as you can see by Bungie, PC ports, GAAS, subscriptions and even Death Stranding/The Show on GP. FiST was made with Sony China Hero Project and it's on Xbox and Gamepass.

They always adapt depending on the situation. None of what you're saying is set in stone.

Microsoft is the one that made multiple games exclusive. Keep your concerns to yourself.
Bungie is GAAS. So them forgoing different markets were never a concern. Death Stranding is not a Sony ip. Never heard of FiST.

I don't think Sony will make their Triple A games day and date on PC. Thankfully Sony buying Larian is highly unlikely so i dont have to worry about it. 😊

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

Critically acclaimed? ✅

I value early access to a game I'm stoked about and pre-ordering, than I do having to wait until release day and get 6 early in-game unlocks? Who wants that useless shit?

Perhaps not tagged onto preorder game prices, Sony could make this early access into a PS+ perk? Like when you're going around the Store and it goes it's this much, but if you had PS+ it'd be this much. Or you can buy it, or if you had PS+ you could dl/stream it now. It could just make the games release date an interchangable element "it is released on this date, but if you have PS+ you get it x days early".

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022

The same Sony that's been bringing more and more of their 1P traditional games to PC in shorter time frames (a bad idea long-term, IMHO), somehow is the same Sony that's going to yank Larian games off PC? This is concern-trolling at its best: willfully ignoring the shaping reality around other product from the supposed acquirer just to put up a rebuttal.

The truth is, you'd rather Sony not have any stakes in the WRPG or CRPG markets against a company like Microsoft. That's the actual reason you're saying what you say. Never mind that in times past Sony have given PC-centric games their own space with later adaptation to the console (see Everquest), and there is nothing preventing them from doing that again. That would be an instance of PC getting the game first, if you can believe it, but somehow since Sony still value having some actual exclusives for their console (although are slowly losing grip on that. Again, to their potential detriment long-term, IMO), that convinces you they would shaft Larian's PC fans?

It's paranoia you're speaking, in this case, mixed with ignorance for Sony's prior PC strategies years and decades past. I and others, in fact, would likely rather see them acquire a studio like Larian and have Larian continue to focus on the PC audience (with console gamers getting ports of games down the line) than take console 1P AAA traditional releases and port them to PC in a way that weakens the value of those games on console and outside of platforms in Sony's ownership. Let PC gamers have their Larian exclusives and maybe 3-4 years (this would include Early Access, obviously) later port them to console. Let console gamers have their exclusives (aside from GaaS titles, which should prob be multiplat or at least Day 1 on PC) and maybe every 5-6 years port them to PC when a sequel's due for console a year or two out.

Such a simple, clean, straightforward cadence with no toes being stepped over, and the intrinsic value of exclusives still holding their weight. But Sony seem increasingly stupified into trending towards a long-term problem based off of short-term fiscal results.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Bungie is GAAS. So them forgoing different markets were never a concern. Death Stranding is not a Sony ip. Never heard of FiST.

I don't think Sony will make their Triple A games day and date on PC. Thankfully Sony buying Larian is highly unlikely so i dont have to worry about it. 😊
Bungie is GAAS and? If Sony was completely rigid and lockdown as you want us to believe then they would tell the MLB to fuck off, they would stop their IP and engine appearing on other platforms. They would demand full exclusivity in their contracts. Instead they are completely nonchalant with their stuff.

Kojima is out there posing, working and promoting for Xbox. No fucks given.

If Larian wants Early Access and PC they will get it. As if that was a big issue.