Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
But you don’t appoint someone from Sony Japan and especially not the CFO, if you would plan on a western leadership again for PlayStation. So this is my conclusion the next will be a Japanese CEO for SIE. Sony executives made their resolve and are exhausted of western guys driving the company in the wrong direction. This time a Japanese leader with Urata will strengthen PlayStation back to their roots. Many of the GaaS projects getting cancelled is the first step of the new PlayStation order. Also you heard it here first: With Kiichiro Urata becoming new PlayStation CEO, Sony will reallocate their HQ back to Tokyo. Current HQ will be renamed in SIE of America. This also means the return of region based decisions, which is e.g. working very well for Nintendo. The turn back to Japan as PlayStation HQ won’t happen overnight, it will be a long-term investment. Bookmark this tweet and remember my words. It was me who said half a year before that Jim Ryan’s job standing on the line with the outcome of ABK. And I have been not telling stories so far.
With the exception oF GTA AND Fifa, Western gaming is collapsing in slow motion. Makes sense to go back Japan and the east. Focus on strengthening ties in China and South Korean Developers too. I hope you are right.

• Shake
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I dont think sony is going to make any big moves anytime soon. The yen isnt doing well against the dollar, intrest rates are high, they are selling well, and its a big risk to take on alot if new employees. I agree SE should be their number one priority but Sony Music, semi conductors, and sony film seems to be the main priority for them. Plus sony seems content letting MS buy out the industry.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I dont think sony is going to make any big moves anytime soon. The yen isnt doing well against the dollar, intrest rates are high, they are selling well, and its a big risk to take on alot if new employees. I agree SE should be their number one priority but Sony Music, semi conductors, and sony film seems to be the main priority for them. Plus sony seems content letting MS buy out the industry.
This year I wouldn’t expect any big acquisitions but next fiscal year it will be different. I think Pictures less, CEO said they are pretty much done with acquiring and don’t expect big growth. Film industry is stagnant but entertainment like gaming is really growing fast.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Playstation definitely needs to buy some more studios

I agree. The thing is the kinds of games we come to expect from them are these 200-300 million aaa triple games so i understand their pursuit of GAAS games to help fund it. But at the same time there are only so many teams around the world that can successfully pull games like that off. Sony need more variety as well. I think the best option for Sony is to invest in Japanese publishers and take over Publishing operations for their known, bigger IP.

Reactions: Puff

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

MS paid 7B to buy a publisher who’s games were already in development and took them off PlayStation and padded Xbox weak software output. MS has nothing to do with Bethesda’s games. People need to acting like they do.

PlayStation games and hardware continues to sell millions and they’re the one who needs to do something? Should they be stagnant and do nothing at all? Of course not. You should always prepare for the future. More so with a shitty anti consumer corporation wanting to buy up everything because they have zero creativity and talent. And Sony is doing just that. They already publicly said they plan buy more studios and acquire IP.

Enough with the manufactured fear tactics.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Why is this person listing MS re-releases? Shouldn't Nintendo's NSO releases be right there too, then?

I mean, he's right that Sony hasn't put out a lot this year but that argument should be able to stand on its own two feet without title count inflation.

Edit: Or perhaps, his standard for re-releases is that they have a SKU at all? In that case, he missed that Nintendo announced a new physical bundle of Pokemon S/V with their DLC. (side note to collectors, these are the ones you want, guaranteed to increase in value.)

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
ChatGPT: (Note ChatGPT only updates to 2021, so some of these acquisitions have happened...showing some degree of accuracy)

what developers or publishers should sony buy, considering their financial position

Sony's financial position can influence their ability to make acquisitions, and they may target developers or publishers that align with their strategic goals and financial capabilities. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, I can provide some general suggestions for developers or publishers that Sony might consider acquiring based on their financial strength and industry trends. However, please keep in mind that the specific circumstances and opportunities may have changed since then.
  1. Bluepoint Games: Bluepoint Games is known for its high-quality remakes and remasters of classic titles. Sony has a history of collaborating with them, and acquiring Bluepoint could strengthen their library of classic PlayStation titles.
  2. FromSoftware: FromSoftware is renowned for its Souls series, Bloodborne, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Acquiring the studio could solidify Sony's position in the action RPG genre.
  3. Square Enix: While this would be a major acquisition, Square Enix has a rich portfolio of intellectual properties, including the Final Fantasy series, which could significantly bolster Sony's exclusive game offerings.
  4. Kojima Productions: Hideo Kojima, the founder of Kojima Productions, is a legendary game developer known for the Metal Gear Solid series and Death Stranding. Acquiring the studio could bring exclusive titles and creative talent to Sony.
  5. Sega: Acquiring Sega would give Sony access to popular franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog, Yakuza, and the Persona series, potentially strengthening their position in the Japanese and global gaming markets.
  6. Konami: Similar to Sega, Konami has a valuable IP portfolio, including Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, and Silent Hill. Acquiring Konami's IPs could be a strategic move for Sony.
  7. Bungie: If Sony aims to expand its presence in the online multiplayer and live-service gaming space, acquiring Bungie, the developer of Destiny, could be a significant step.
  8. Embracer Group (formerly THQ Nordic): Embracer Group owns numerous game development studios and IPs. While it would be a massive acquisition, it could diversify Sony's gaming portfolio substantially.
  9. Tencent Games: Tencent is a major player in the global gaming industry. A partnership or acquisition could provide Sony with opportunities to expand in the mobile gaming and Chinese markets.
  10. Exclusive Licensing Agreements: Instead of outright acquisitions, Sony may consider exclusive licensing agreements with developers or publishers to secure exclusive content or timed exclusivity deals for their platforms.
It's essential to remember that the gaming industry is highly dynamic, and strategic decisions regarding acquisitions are influenced by many factors, including market conditions, competition, and corporate strategies. Sony would conduct thorough due diligence and consider various factors before pursuing any acquisitions. Additionally, since my information is not current, I recommend checking the latest news and official announcements to see if Sony has made any recent acquisitions or partnerships in the gaming industry.

• Informative
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Armchair CEO mode;

1. Bluepoint - acquisition complete
2. From Software - Investment made, may increase. Probably safe from Microsoft acquisition.
3. Square Enix - 4.17 Billion market cap
4. Kojima - Remains independent, making games for both PS and Xbox. Seems to value independence despite strong support and history with Sony.
5. Sega - 4.21 Billion market cap
6. Konami - Has very little development capability but valuable IP's..... best option is to try and buy IP's.
7. Bungie - Acquisition complete.
8. Embracer - A total mess, buying IP's from them piecemeal may be better option... eg. Tomb Raider and Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver.
9. Tencent - Too big, very complicated, partnership likely to exist.

Personal additions: CDPR, Larian, IOI and Arc System Works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Major acquisition pick: Square Enix & / OR CDPR (Less likely but cheaper 2.4 Billion market cap)

Medium acquisition picks: IOI & Arc System (Larian if these are not possible)

IP acquisitions: Konami: MGS, Castlevania, Silent Hill etc / Embracer: Tomb Raider and Legacy of Kain.

Increased investment: From Software

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Jez is saying the Square-MS partnership includes EVERY game kinda like the Sega one. I don't know why these dumb publishers fall into the trap. Every time.
Microsoft paying exorbitant amounts, it's how they got Sega in their corner, by grossly overpaying. And Sony just sits idly by and watches 😑 Sony is complacent because they know even with Xbox having these big titles, it still won't move the needle much but it's starting to become a slippery slope that they need to get ahead of.